Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 184 total)
  • dog on bike trails – wtf!
  • mimi123
    Free Member

Why do some people think it is acceptable to use a trail as a way of walking their dog and in turn almost killing people or their dog for that matter! Glentress last week 5 times this idiot riding a f*cking stupid set up of a bike I might add, almost took me off my bike in the bloody snow when his dog decided to run out in front of me, then twice it jumped up on me mid berm and actually took hold of my trousers with its teeth! Next time matey your dog will get a dc in its gob!

I really don’t get it, and would be interested to hear form those of you who regulary take your dog with you biking, why do you do it, do you bring a poop scoop, it certainly doesn’t appear so and what is wrong with a park -if you can’t be bothered to walk the bloody thing get rid!

NOTE: NEXT TIME DOG IN BLOODY TRAIL I WILL NOT MOVE OUT WAY!FOR BIKES NOT DOGS!

RealMan
    Free Member

Good use of caps, and I liked how you managed to insult someone’s bike.

7/10.

If a dog bit me while I was riding it would get a kicking.

GavinB

Good use of capitalisation, random expletives, shoddy sentence structure and spelling.

As rants go, this is slightly above average.

3/10

Northwind

We were out riding with a dog tagging along last night. It was ace, and he never bothered anyone. But following a dog over a drop is a little odd.

mimi123
    Free Member

I bet he didn’t bother anyone being it last night I would presume you mean after dark, therefore not likely to be many riders out to annoy!

Thanks for rating me, good job its not my riding your scoring!

jedi

my old jack russell , breeze has done all the drops at herts shore. love her 🙂

mimi123
    Free Member

random expletives

what are you, a school teacher? or did you google ‘witty and intelligent responses to forum posts!”

Northwind

mimi123 – Member

“I bet he didn’t bother anyone being it last night I would presume you mean after dark, therefore not likely to be many riders out to annoy!”

Well there was us. Obviously.

mimi123
    Free Member

ok so obviously I have missed something! animal cruelty issue here – must be fashionable to want to get your dog ——- by a hardtail on spooky wood!

Ambrose

Sits back and waits.

mimi123
    Free Member

Well there was us. Obviously.

Obvioulsy!

Top Marks

mimi123
    Free Member

I would imagine we have been here before with this topic, and there is about 20 folk about to defend the dogs on trails brigade!

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Tell the owner to pay for new trousers?

I would not be impressed unless it was a friendly doggy whiich will get a pat.

Angry Doggy will get its head bashed in if it hurts me but generally just ignore it.

Keep a long trail pump with you OP 😉

mimi123
    Free Member

Keep a long trail pump with you OP

😉

tazzymtb

I think dogs on mountain bike trails cheers the place up and to be fair it’s probably faster round the course than you are.

to be honest if you’re that phased by a dog you’re probably a cr*p rider anyway

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Most dogs are fine but there is always one dumb owner or dog gets spooked.

Unless by law or owner says no dogs on this land you can’t stop them but just keep riding and don’t look at the dog or owner or that will spook the mutt.

Most dogs have been friendly a credit to the owner and breed.

Oh and you can buy anti dog sirens which they can hear only – ultra sound. Drives them bonkers – only to ward them away and not a toy!

I don’t expect dogs on trails but if the owner has it trained it shouldn’t be a prob but owners should pay out if the dog causes an accident and damages your bike.

A dog jumped from nowhere on a trail and it was pretty big to knock me off. The owner apologised but I was having none of it as I testing my new frame that was dented.

It cost her £1400 to get me a new frame. Good dog lol But that was yrs ago and never had a problem since.

Ambrose

Anyway- I rode 25km with my pooch last Sunday in Mid Wales. She was one of three dogs tagging along. She stays close to my back wheel unless called forwards, does’t worry livestock, keeps up on the uphills, is wicked on the downs. She gets a bit worried on the river crossings but with gentle cajoling will cross and then gets heaps of praise. If she gets in the way of a wheel she soon learns that it hurts- and it only has happened twice. She always returns when I let her roam and then call her to heel. She is my riding buddy and is great. Riding solo with the mutt is a really good experience. Dogs are not called ‘Man’s Best Friend’ for now’t.

If the dog is misbehaving it is the owner’s fault. Take it up with the owner, the dog is an extension of them.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Nice one Ambrose. I wish all dog owners were like you!

Ambrose

I think that most MTB riders with dogs are like this. All the ones I know are. It amazes me that there are rider/owners who are not this way, but hey ho I’m an innocent abroad I suppose.

jimbobm
    Free Member

I NEVER take my dog to trail centres as even though he is awesome and never gets in the way, he one day could! natural trails and bridleways etc i always take him though as he is a brilliant training partner and a cool dude 🙂

druidh
    Free Member

It’s OK – the Mods will be along to close this thread in a minute. Criticising dogs is one of STW’s no-no’s.

cb

Had the ‘pleasure’ of riding Cannock recently with some moron and his Jack Russell. Totally out of control running ahead of him as I guess it just hears a bike and thinks its the owner. Said Owner then whistles and the pooch stops dead in the trail…I have nothing against dogs (much) but this owner was a tool. Sunday at Cannock – not very bright!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Its all about the dog being properly trained.

a properly trazined dog is no hassle to anyone and is therefore no problem on the trailes, a badly trained dog has no place on the trails.

I am no fan of dogs but I have seen a couple of dogs at trail centres that were no hassle to anyone and therefore fine to be there

tollah
    Free Member

My dog prefers Mabie than Glentress as he doesnt like wearing body armour in order to go out and have fun.

ampthill

I take my dog round Woburn with me. As its where the dog would be walked any way I don’t see a problem.

Mugboo

Isn’t this the equivalant of walkers ranting about the odd cockend rider who doesn’t slow down..

What percentage of your rides are ruined by dogs?

Get over it, live and let live…

I have a very well behaved Border Collie, who has done lots of quiet UK trail centres. As he’s not fast enough downhill i won’t take him when its gonna be busy.

philconsequence
    Free Member

dogs that get in the way on trail centres should be forced to listen to the beatles… that’ll teach em!

hainman
    Free Member

i had an interesting encounter with 2 riders and their dogs at carron valley a while ago,was on the runway and got to near the bottom and just as im about to go off the jump after the bottom berm this big dog is just standing right in the middle of the track,luckily it moved as id have split the thing in 2,the bawbag owners just stood there looking as if “whats the problem”dogs arent a problem if the owners actually have some brains and common sense.these 2 halfwits were f****** about at the craziest of places ie corners or bottom of blind jumps.think next time i’ll just “TOE THEIR LINK”(good kick in the balls)………….

neil853
    Free Member

I’m not going to read all the posts just put my opinion in. Dogs at trail centres can be fine if its a quiet day. Because the risk is reduced. But on a weekend its massively irresponsible. The whole reason for these trail centres is to segregate user groups to avoid conflict. Bringing a dog along creates user conflict and in some cases can be dangerous.

I too went to Glentress a couple of weeks ago and every day i rode there (i was there 6 days) there were dogs on the trail. All of them created issues to a greater or lesser degree. What happens if someone ploughs into these dogs? who is going to be responsible? Mountain Bikers already have a fragile relationship with countryside access, creating conflicts like this does us no favours.

Sandwich

Still training mine to be a good trail dog. Solo rides in out of the way places for him until he’s got it right. This may never happen as he can be a little dumb!

donsimon
    Free Member

Another dog thread! WTF?

dazzlingboy

+1 Neil853.

Coming from a devoted owner of 2 dogs that is saying something. I’d love to take my younger lab round the trails, but taking to Glentress of a weekend is asking for some knob end stormtrooper to run him over.

Went biking with my mate and his dog a few weeks ago at Glentress – at night mind you so no-one around really. Must say the dog was super well behaved and only once came near my wheels, but I was concious of it the whole time – I mean if I squashed his beloved spaniel he’d never forgive me.

On the hill – OK. Trail centre – no IMO.

MentalMickey
    Free Member

It’s a fairly common sight to see dogs running alongside their MTB riding owners at Cannock, some of the dogs are super rad gnarly sick too! 8)

In fact, I believe the original trail known as ‘follow the dog’ was so named because one of the trail builders would bring his pet jack russel along and this dog often picked out some great lines while they were course plotting whenever he was running on up ahead. 😉

Dog mess isn’t a pleasant business and it is a shame that owners often suddenly seem to shirk that same responsibility they have on the streets but do try to remember that trail centres are places you WILL encounter plenty of other people, it’s up to you to navigate round them whether it’s a slow rider that just starting out or a dog taking a leak.

Besides, life’s way too short to worry about such trivia. 8)

dazzlingboy

it’s up to you to navigate round them whether it’s a slow rider that just starting out or a dog taking a leak

fair comment, but it is the sudden high speed randomness of dogs stopping/starting/coming out of the bushes/chasing squirrels that makes them that much harder to predict and avoid. Of course some dogs are perfectly trained to maintain a constant 50cm gap to their master’s rear wheel, but most aren’t from what I’ve seen.

trivia

not if it’s your dog/mate’s dog that gets run over!

TheSwede
    Free Member

The last time some one brought there dog out with us it kept running just by my pedals or just in front of me. At one point the thing went under me between the wheels. Eventually I ran over it’s neck. I love dogs but leave the bloody things at home. It’s fking dangerous. At trail centres any way. Natural rides is different. Some idiot took one to cannock on a busy weekend. It just pisses every one off. No one is impressed that your dog can run around a trail ffs !

Zedsdead
    Free Member

My dog has no nose…

bigyinn
    Free Member

Bourbons or Hob Nobs anyone?

oldgit
    Free Member

How does it smell?

Zedsdead
    Free Member

awful!

Nick_Christy
    Free Member

i personally have a lab, but i wouldnt take it either out.

i think you can have a dog all well behaved etc, only needs one time to get spooked infront of another bike( if its your bike or you then not exactly a big deal. its your own fault) then the rider crashes i then think it takes the piss.

i was riding last month and dog ran accross the dh trail. i went over, not hurt or nothing but took a knock to the knee. the owner came over and apologised but i said its hardly acceptable. i was pissed with him and he went with the dog like i was wrong. lol

anyways dogs are what people make of them. i think dogs shouldnt be near a dangerous enviroment where people are speeding about on bikes. should be taken to places like i do to parks

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 184 total)

The topic ‘dog on bike trails – wtf!’ is closed to new replies.