Viewing 17 posts - 81 through 97 (of 97 total)
  • Dog exercisers, do you actually care about other peoples safety
  • Peyote
    Free Member

Very true and the nutrients are more accessible from herbivorous animal pooh than omnivorous/carnivorous animals.

Really? I thought manure had to be rotted down a bit first?

Why else would we use farm manure on our gardens/fields?

I guess not many farms rear carnivourous animals (except some of those pig stories you hear about occassionally!). Also, carnivour manure harbours a lot nastier bugs and beasties than herbivore, hence it being a bit less dangerous riding in horse droppings than dog poo. There’s probably official guidance on what can and can’t be used as fertiliser somewhere, I’m sure if you Google it you’ll find out some more info.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Well that saves me the bother of trying to pursue a rational debate!!!!

would rational debate would stop you leaving the poo next to the trail? 🙄

kcr
    Free Member

I cannot imagine, in a million years, why someone would not love dogs.

How about if a dog runs up and sinks its teeth into your leg when you are minding your own business? Owner: “Oh, he’s never done that before”.

Or the dog that ran up and bit my Dad’s leg while we were out for a walk. Owner just shrugged, looked uninterested and didn’t bother to apologise.

Not a big fan of dogs or irresponsible owners myself.

ampthill

Well that saves me the bother of trying to pursue a rational debate!!!!

would rational debate would stop you leaving the poo next to the trail?

Who said I left poo by the trail?

Rational evidence based debate has often changed my behaviour

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Who said I left poo by the trail?

you bag it and bin it everytime? even when on the bike?

Rational evidence based debate has often changed my behaviour

yet to see any evidence from you that leaving poo on moorland has no impact, just general statements about herbivores and their poo

project
    Free Member

As per usual some good talking points, and not ONE DOG has bothered to offer an opinion. 😯

ampthill

big n daft

Link me to this article on the impact of dog poo

you are right that I don’t pick up after the dog at Woburn, but it wouldn’t poop anywhere near the trail, its the only place I ride with the dog

Here is snap of mine showing the effect of sheep on upland Britain

Heather! web by John Clinch, on Flickr

big_n_daft
    Free Member

you are right that I don’t pick up after the dog at Woburn, but it wouldn’t poop anywhere near the trail, its the only place I ride with the dog

I’m sure the other users thanks you for not bagging it and binning it

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=dog+fouling+habitat+moorland&source=web&cd=8&ved=0CGIQFjAH&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.footprint-ecology.co.uk%2Fpublications_and_downloads%2Fdownloads_and_examples_of_our_work%2F%3Fdownload%3B20&ei=Gf3dUIaTNaPY0QXjyIGQBg&usg=AFQjCNGXWhfGD0lur4NGHOgVkW6RQLnVng&bvm=bv.1355534169,d.d2k

happy reading

rbrstr
    Free Member

wow,everydays a school day. i ride woburn daily and have often wondered why people hang poo bags from trees i genuinely didnt realise it was for the rangers to collect, no wonder they are too busy to check i have a license

ampthill

Thanks that was intresting. My wife does most of the dog care and is very good on bagging, as am I.

I’d not come across the nutrient argument before and will take even more care in nutrient poor enviroments in the future

andyl
    Free Member

As I have said before – the people who are most affected by people not picking up dog poop is other dog walkers who do. We walk the routes at least once a day so have more chance of stepping in it. But admittedly I feel worse for non-dog owners when I see it and feel a sense of embarrassment and concern that people think I don’t clean up after my dog. I always make sure my bags are sticking out of my pocket in an attempt to try and shame other dog walkers but it’s in vain really.

The farmers round here allow dog walkers to use their fields and in return a lot of them seem to think it’s okay to not pick it up. the ignorance of people leaving dog poo in fields that have livestock (cows in our case) or crops amazes me.

One excuse that gets used is a lack of bins. When on the bike I use an air tight tub in the external pocket of my camelbak to put the poo bag in, I don’t see why people can’t leave such a bag in their cars in case there is somewhere without a bin. I just hang the bags off my tow bar which does get a few funny looks from people behind me at traffic lights 😀

MrsToast
    Free Member

I always make sure my bags are sticking out of my pocket in an attempt to try and shame other dog walkers but it’s in vain really.

I carry filled bags like a dainty handbag. Unless its somewhere that’s really adamant that you stick and flick (like Llandegla, think they get told off for binned poop?) I always bin and bag. Generally because I’m terrible at stick and flick – I’ve never been good at sports. 🙁

patriotpro
    Free Member

some real dog-ged debating going here

thehustler
    Free Member

OP is Victor Meldrew and I claim my £5

deviant
    Free Member

I let my dogs crap wherever, the stuff is disgusting and I’m not picking it up!

I suspect I’m not alone with this attitude.

richc
    Free Member

Apparently a big part of why people like dogs, is that when petting them it gives off the same chemical in the brain as when people hold and want to protect children (due to the wonders of evolution, that’s what linked them so closely to us.)

Draw from that what you will about people who hate and want to hurt dogs.

MrOvershoot

the hustler – Member

OP is Victor Meldrew and I claim my £5
    Sad Bloke IIRC

Viewing 17 posts - 81 through 97 (of 97 total)

The topic ‘Dog exercisers, do you actually care about other peoples safety’ is closed to new replies.