Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)
  • Dog. Difficult decision time.
  • wrecker
    Free Member

I have had the dog since around 2004. Got him from the RSPCA as an animal in deep water (two yellow cards and a red, they were going to put him down). After some persuasion they let me have him and we’ve been together since.
    Him being english bull x *another breed*, he was built like a shit outhouse. At one time he was 36kg, which for a dog standing just above knee height was big.
    Last year we found he had a tumor on his eye and had to have it removed (the eye). No biggie, he adapted.
    Then he started losing weight. A lot of weight. Scans etc reveal he has a tumor on his liver. As his liver function is impaired, he cannot process protein very well and has lost 11kg or muscle.
    He’s a bag of bones. He can still get around, but he doesn’t come for walks any more and rarely finishes his food (he was the greediest dog I have ever known). We get other hints that he’s unwell, blood in his wee etc.
    He’s obviously very poorly but his tail still wags when you pat him, he still wanders around the house occasionally and sometimes greets me at the door. He’s not in any obvious pain but is weak (as we’d be having lost 1/3 bodyweight)

My worry is that he has no joy, no walks, no playing. Just lying on the sofa and going out for a pee. His hearing is nearly gone too.

On top of that the stupid banff mountain film festival showed that stupid Denali film. Good job it was dark in there.

Is it time?

survivor

Sounds like he’s had a good life since you got him so don’t feel bad if you make that choice.

mrsfry
    Free Member

So sorry for your dilemma. I know when my girl got ill due to her age and previous owners neglect, i tried everything i could just to keep her ticking on as long as possible, but the time came when the vet could do no more for her and i didn’t want her to suffer.

I wish you all the best. You know what the best thing for your dog will be.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Wrecker, see what the vet says. Sounds like he has had a great life with you. It may be time to say goodbye. Sorry dude. Heart goes out, it is tough. 🙁

jolmes
    Free Member

Sounds like you have given him a fantastic life. Dogs don’t show pain as humans do as you may know but the signs are there. Perhaps this is him telling you its time to go, the waggy tail and happy face will be there till the end, more importantly you wont forget him so he’ll live on in your head & heart.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

I hate to say it wrecker…..but I think it might be time, though see what the vet says.

Wel done on you for giving a down on his luck mutt a great life..

Ps that Denali film is one of my favourites.

dantsw13

Shit Wrecker, that’s an awful situation – one I’m not looking forward to with my pup. If you’ve had him 12 years, it sounds like he is 14+, which is a pretty good innings. It sounds like whatever decision you make, you’ll do so for the right reasons, and you’ve given him a great life that he so nearly never saw at all.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Wrecker, my sister had two 10yo spaniels and about 12 months ago one of them started getting out of breath and looked ‘bigger’. Long story short there was fluid around her heart and lungs which has been drained off at regular intervals since. when the fluid had been drained the dog was 100% again and you’d never know what was going on.
    The veterinary hospital she went to suspected cancer but couldn’t find anything until recently when the fluid started building up quicker and another scan revealed a growing mass.
    Even though she looked fine they knew deep down that it was only temporary so they let her go.
    It’s very difficult but you probably know that this is only going to get worse and to keep the dog going isn’t really in his best interests.
    As has been said before, you’ve already given him much more life than he would otherwise have had, but we’ve all got to go sometime.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Thoughts with you mate. Difficult decision. Probably best take the vet’s counsel and go from there. Well done +1 on giving him another shot at life btw.

BoardinBob

Sounds like it’s time.

Make his final days as awesome as possible

(warning: may release serious dust in the room)

http://www.buzzfeed.com/alanwhite/this-story-of-a-dogs-last-day-on-earth-is-beautiful-and-hear#.reOW8ONDP

wrecker
    Free Member

When we got the scan results (prob a year ago now) the vet siad just enjoy what you have left. She asked if he could still take himself out for a wee and I replied that he had been swimming the day before!
    He’s faded a bit since then though.
    The vet has let us know her opinion, it’s our choice as to when to call it a day. Unfortunately my wife likes to pretend that everything is OK but that’s not in his best interest really. Our two year old loves the shit out of him too which makes it even worse.
    Here he is a few years ago. I won’t put a recent picture up.

ourmaninthenorth

My mother has owned several dogs over the years, and lots have been rescued. She is the kindest person I know when it comes to animal welfare.

However, for two dogs I think that kindness went too far (and privately she would probably admit it) – their lives were definitely prolonged beyond a time when others would have called it a day. In the case of one animal – a beautiful black lab – his tail would always wag, but it turned out his hip dysplasia was so bad he was only wagging his tail to remain upright and keep walking.

It may feel awful, especially after the obvious care and great life you have afforded your dog, but it does sound like the time when letting him go with a dignified and peaceful end is now here.

Good luck.

ETA – handsome fella!

Coyote
    Free Member

You gave him a second chance when others had written him off so he’s already had ten times the life he would have had so full respect for that. It sounds like the quality of life you have given him is more than he possibly would have got anywhere else. You obviously care for him very much, only you can make the final decision. You’ll make the right one at the right time.

dashed
    Free Member

Only you can make the decision, wrecker. But as others have said, you’ve given him the best life you could have. And from your original post, I think you know deep down what the answer is. Just make the decision he deserves, which may not be the easy one.

Good luck

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Oh Jeez…that Dukey story. 🙁

I’m on site today with loads of manly builders. It’s quite dusty here though.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

I like this:

The final walk of a dog..
    (from The Indie)

Catches the emotion really quite well for me.

soobalias
    Free Member

if its not time, its close.
    you will know when

sorry.

cranberry
    Free Member

Sounds like you have given him 12 awesome years that he might never have had without your patience and love.

The final act of love for an animal is the hardest, but

I won’t put a recent picture up

suggests that that time is coming close.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Crap situation but I think it’s better to go a week too early than a day too late (been there, it’s horrible).
    Make his last few days as happy as possible.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Tough times, to be honest I did not want to open the thread. All I can say is trust your gut feel judgement, do what is right for him and fir you. Don’t underestimate potential impact on you if you decide to call time vs allowing nature to take its course

pryally
    Free Member

I’ve just gone through the same situation with my springer, he was 11 years old and I’d had him since he was 7 weeks, he was my best friend. It was the hardest thing I’ve ever done but it was the right thing but that doesn’t make it any easier.

just make the most of the time you have left and remember the good times

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

OP you have my sympathy, it is not an easy decision.

I would be asking what quality of life does he have left?

We had to have our Whinnie put down 2 years ago. The vet came out to our house to do it, and she died in my wife and my own arms. It was the hardest thing we have ever done, but the best too. She was at peace the moment she went.

theotherjonv

Crap situation but I think it’s better to go a week too early than a day too late

+1000000000

OK, mine was with a cat but I should have taken him the day before we did, and every time this question comes up I regret it.

wrecker
    Free Member

I would be asking what quality of life does he have left?

Precisely. Whilst he’s getting along, still mobile and not in obvious pain, I’m wondering what is in it for him in terms of enjoyment and I can’t think of much 🙁
    I would definitely have the vet come to ours, he hated the vets ever since one put a finger up his bum.

theotherjonv

he hated the vets ever since one put a finger up his bum

When the doctor did that to me my immediate impulse was to try to bite him.

cardo

I’m sanding floors and either the filter in the extractor has gone or it’s just very dusty in here…
    One of the hardest decisions to make but you will know when, our old lab is slowly deteriorating in front of our eyes and it’s heartbreaking..
    Like others have said it sounds like he’s had a lovely life with you guys.

garage-dweller

Wrecker

I will recount our tale of about 5 years ago and maybe this will help you.

We adopted a rescue dog well past his prime (he’d been a stray picked up by the dogcatcher then reprieved by a rescue) who always had some health issues but we gave him a loving and good home. He was a wonderful pet and so gentle with our then newborn son.

After about two and a half years (he would have been about 12 by then) he became increasingly fickle with his food and slower and slower to do his walk and it was a slow deterioration to the point where we needed to load him into the car just to take him for a 15 minute walk on some grass.

What was most difficult was that he could still walk around and eat but he didn’t really seem comfortable or to be having any “fun”.

We consulted the vet and got the “it’s your decision” line, which is basically all I suspect they’re allowed to say (vets please correct me). But they did say give it a week and see how you feel.

In hindsight I wish we had acted there and then. Although we weren’t ready for it, the dog I think had had enough. He didn’t deteriorate massively but he didn’t gain anything by having another week.

We had and took the offer of a sedative before the “main dose” so that he’d lie down and settle. Our dog reacted badly – he fought it and didn’t settle – and in the end we asked for him to administer the final dose before the sedative was fully effective. I knelt down with his belly above my knees so when his legs went he only fell onto my knees and could be lowered gently to the floor.

I’m sure others will have had different experiences but I don’t think I’d take this option again.

If you’ve never been through this before it’s really tough but they go very quick and without any sign of distress. The decision is (in my view) the hardest part.

Sounds like he’s had a good life.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

When the doctor did that to me my immediate impulse was to try to bite him.

Mine was to kiss him. He wasn’t keen tbh. 😐

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Good luck wrecker

Went thought this a few weeks ago (posted on here) when old retriever suddenly lost his back legs and collapsed outside the house. Seemed time to call the vet but we waited until the morning.

When we go up he was v quiet in his bed so Mrs THM cooked him a special last meal – one wiff of rice and chicken and his up tail wagging etc.

A few weeks later and his (still very old) but as active as he has been in months. I say this only because, I am glad we didn’t call the vet in the evening. He was very weak due to a bug not because he was about to die. We may only have a few more months at best, but he is happy if not that active.

So positive vibes to you too. There is something special about dogs….

I dread the day when we do finally have to call the vet.

bruneep

he has no joy, no walks, no playing. Just lying on the sofa and going out for a pee. His hearing is nearly gone too.

Just how my wife would describe me.

Scapegoat

Went through the same thing a few months ago. The old girl was obviously confused, had been blind (but coping for years) and no longer enjoyed her walks. She had a liver enzyme issue which caused brain malfunction, and all she wanted to do was to sleep all day, hiding out of the way.
    She lost her appetite, and as my son said , without walks and dinner it isn’t even a dog’s life.

It’s always a hard decision, but from your story you’ve done your best by him. If he is as you describe I think you owe him one last favour.

dannybgoode

This may sound blunt and it really isn’t meant to. I’ve had to make the same decision and it was horrible and I still miss the daft hound 3 years on.

But, whilst it was a horrible decision to make it wasn’t difficult – in fact it was easy. She had no quality of life, there were no treatments to ease her suffering or prolong her life so it was the right thing to do.

Sorry you’re having to go through it – dogs have a peculiar way of truly becoming ‘one of the family’ more so than any other animal I’ve owned.

funkrodent

Mate, I too had an English bull crossed with a.n.other. Beautiful beast and as loyal and as awesome as they come. When the time came to say goodbye it was monumentally tough, and I’m not in the least bit ashamed to say that I wept like a 4 yr old who’s just dropped his icecream (even getting a bit dusty in here just thinking about it). I talked to the vet, but ultimately it was my decision, made when I felt that he no longer had the quality of life. As others have said you’ve given him a great life (and he’s given back to you in so many ways). Now as an old dog he’s already lived far longer in his condition than he would have managed on his own in nature. For me I wanted Jake to pass on when he still had a bit of dignity left. Dogs are extremely perceptive and taking him to the vet I was in bits. He knew something was up, but it was like he was trying to reassure me, not the other way round. In the end it was very peaceful, he licked me and went to sleep and that was that. Be strong, you’ll know when it’s time and you’ll do the right thing.
    I now have a 3.5 yr old lab/alsatian rescue and the great thing is that she hasn’t replaced Jake, but a bit akin to a relay race she’s taken over the baton for the next stretch.
    Good luck mate

theotherjonv

she hasn’t replaced Jake, but a bit akin to a relay race she’s taken over the baton for the next stretch

I like that. Filed for use in hopefully a long long time (mine’s only 3)

wrecker
    Free Member

Well that was the shittest thing I have ever done, and I have done a lot of shit jobs over the years.
    Sorry to be a raincloud, but I don’t really feel relief or even that I have done the right thing. I just miss my friend. 🙁
    edit; thanks for all of the advice. In particular “better a week early than a day late”, that really helped MrsW.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Sorry to hear that wrecker. Dogs really get under our skin don’t they.

I am sure you did the best thing.

tron
    Free Member

It’s time.

anagallis_arvensis

I’d be in bits if I was in your shoes right now… in time you will know you did the right thing though.

MrsToast
    Free Member

Sorry to hear that, Wrecker. My brother had similar with his staffie, Bruce, who had been a rescue dog at risk of being put down (he had mange, kennel cough and as a staffie didn’t have much interest from potential adopters). He’d had a few tumours and follow up treatment from the age of 7, but had otherwise been fit and happy. Then when he was 14 he’d had another tumour, and my brother decided not to put him through chemo again – the vet said that, given his age, he could die of old age without the cancer.

You’ve rescued a dog, given him an awesome long life, and made the kindest and hardest decision when he needed you to. I’m so sorry for your loss though.

yossarian
    Free Member

You did the right thing for your mate.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Dog. Difficult decision time.’ is closed to new replies.