Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Dog coat recommendations please
  • simmy
    Free Member

For a 29 KG labrador, just want something decent to keep his back dry when its raining.

Doesn’t have to be too thick for this time of year as I’m willing to get him a thicker one for winter, but just want something to keep him dry.

Thanks in advance.

pingu66
    Free Member

Hurta do a full range, I have a rain coat and a winter cat for both of my dogs. Really good kit.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Really? I’m pretty sure dogs are waterproof and managed to exist before coats were invented.

I’m willing to get him a thicker one for winter

If he’s this big i’d say he’s got a thermal layer built in!

stox
    Free Member

Just a Three peaks from pets at home does the trick for us

pingu66
    Free Member

Different needs for different breeds sharkbait, mine are bred for hunting in Africa allegedly so suffer a little in bad (English) weather so just have a little protection when they are out in inclement weather for longer periods.

stox
    Free Member

The only reason I use them is because its a pain in the backside drying a labrador!
    A coat goes a long way to keeping their back dry

Rob_S
    Free Member

+1 for the Three Peaks coat. Very good at keeping the wet out and very light.

epicyclo

Ah, I thought this was going to be a 101 dalmatians type thread. 🙂

pingu66 – Member
    Different needs for different breeds sharkbait, mine are bred for hunting in Africa …

Ridgebacks?

crikey
    Free Member

Get a hyena, stop messin’ abaaaat!

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

pingu66 – Member
    Hurta do a full range, I have a rain coat and a winter cat for both of my dogs. Really good kit.

Fellow Ridgeback owner here with Hurta coats for our pooch. Really are the dogs danglies, can’t recommend them enough.

JAG

I’m firmly in the camp of – dogs are tougher than you.

They don’t need a coat 😛

PS; I’ve been a dog owner all of my 46 years and none of my/our dogs ever had a coat and they never looked unhappy outdoors!

pingu66
    Free Member

@epicyclo yes Ridgebacks. Even have a coat for hot weather, waste of money in thiis weather/country, if there isn’t a lot of shade that you wet and the evaporation keeps them cool. They are a little bit of hard work to look after if you are out in heat, cold wet for extended periods of time but does give me peace of mind.

Only really use the rain jacket as nothing worse than a dog that’s soaked. Bought the lined coats about 3 years ago when it was dropping to -10.

anagallis_arvensis

its a lab for Christ sake, poor a bucket of water on it and see what happens, it rolls off like from a duck! It does not need a coat, no matter how cold it gets.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

anagallis_arvensis – Member
    its a lab for Christ sake, poor a bucket of water on it and see what happens, it rolls off like from a duck! It does not need a coat, no matter how cold it gets.

^^This^^

Basically, DTFU.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

The OP didn’t ask people’s opinions on whether a dog coat is a good idea. Personally I think it’s a daft idea but that doesn’t help them in their quest to find the best available dog coat. And they are not going to change their mind because of what I think. Therefore I don’t see the point of unsolicited opinions.

stox
    Free Member

its a lab for Christ sake, poor a bucket of water on it and see what happens, it rolls off like from a duck!

Not entirely true!

I scoffed when the mrs suggested a coat but sticking it on when its peeing down saves a lot of towelling off when you get home. For that reason alone we have one

rolymo
    Free Member

Probably depends on the breed, but having bought two different coats for a short haired Patterdale I’ve come to the conclusion that in spite of two wet summers and a hard winter in the lakes on the fells he prefers to go without. More to do with our expectations than their ability to cope.

sweepy
    Free Member

We put a coat on our collie particularly on canoe trips. He can’t move around to generate his own heat when in the boat and he sometimes shivers without. Three peaks one is good and not too hot.
    We are often out for a week and we want him to enjoy himself as much as we do.

epicyclo

crikey – Member
    Get a hyena, stop messin’ abaaaat!

Had a hyena when I was a kid in the bush in Africa. Didn’t last long though – took a chunk out of a neighbour’s thigh so it got the lead pill. They’re not good pets btw – they stink.

The Ridgebacks I see these days look more like Labs than what I remember. They were very large rangy muscular dogs, and all sorts of colours.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Dog coat recommendations please’ is closed to new replies.