• This topic has 14 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by JAG.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Dog Bites Man
  • j2b2
    Free Member

I was riding alone yesterday evening down a double track through a forest in Spain when a huge black dog ran out of nowhere and bit me on my leg just below my knee. There was a man with it and he shoed it off throwing a stone, but when I started riding again it turned round and chased me again. I was going at about 35kmh over rocks and with the light going and the dog at my feet I realised this might not end well if I continued to try to outpace it and with the owner out of sight. I braked and spent at least two minutes holding my bike out in front of me and trying to keep the snarling animal at bay. Eventually the owner caught up, shouted at it, threw some more stones at it and I took off again, this time successfully.

When I got back to base my leg was bleeding slightly so I went to the local 2-man A&E for some advice. It turned out that it was the nurse´s dog being walked by her boyfriend. I was quite annoyed because the guy hadn’t even apologised or put it on its lead, but since it is the only medical centre within an hours drive and I will surely fall off or do something stupid in the foreseeable future, I couldn’t really make an official complaint and just asked her to ask her boyfriend to keep it on the leash.

I was given some antibiotics and went on my way, but does anyone have any advice for dealing with aggressive dogs that are scared of bikes.. I actually wasn’t that shaken but I am not 100% looking forward to riding through that area again as I think there is a chance of a repeat and there is hardly ever anyone else there – it is a wilderness which is why it is such a great route to ride..

km79
    Free Member

Pepper spray?

6079smithw
    Free Member

that is bang out of order.

Water bottle, carry stones, try an ultrasonic device

zippykona

I don’t think it would be wrong if you or someone else killed it.

TrailriderJim
    Free Member

Thread title sounds like a typical shit modern band name that’s meant to sound hip.

I would have gone spare at the owner. I walk my two dogs on a lead until they’re on open fields where I’m throwing the ball at them. Huge bug bear of mine that dog owners think it’s fine to let their dogs walk free in areas they know will have walkers, runners, bikers and other dogs on leads going close past them.

ocrider

Trailrider Jim – Member
    Thread title sounds like a typical shit modern band name that’s meant to sound hip

Or a misspelt ouvre of Belgian cinema…

TrailriderJim
    Free Member

From NME: “Dog Bites Man have taken the indie scene by storm, with the recent release of their debut single: Eyes Fish Not Now. They’re touring across the North East next month in anticipation of the release of their debut album: Pensioners Can’t Steal New Cars.”

big_n_daft
    Free Member

There is a spray recommended on the other dog thread

http://www.bite-back.net

anagallis_arvensis

let their dogs walk free in areas they know will have walkers, runners, bikers and other dogs on leads going close past them.

It is if your dogs well behaved.

anagallis_arvensis

To the op.no idea what you can do if you dont see it coming. If you do your approach the second time seems sensible combined with shouting at the ****!!

cheekyboy
    Free Member

Corned beef a`la Aspirine

Merak

Zefal HPX

cookeaa

It is if your dogs well behaved.

Maybe 20% are “well behaved” IME or to put it another way 80% of dog owners are dicks…

Doesn’t matter really, you’ll not convince them their yapping mobile shite factory/ furry surrogate child is anything less than a darling little scamp and “Just being friendly”…

oink1
    Free Member

Taser? 😈

JAG

I’m a dog lover and have had dogs of my own. There is no excuse for such poor handling of a dog. It’s the owners fault not the dogs.

Next trip to that area I’d be carrying something I could hit the dog with.

Preferably bike related – like a long traditional, metal bodied, pump 👿

Don’t go mad with it, just defend yourself, but teach the dog that attacking bikes is not a good idea.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Dog Bites Man’ is closed to new replies.