• This topic has 383 replies, 74 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by Jamie.
Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 384 total)
  • Dog attack/police response
  • doncorleoni
    Free Member

Riding through swinley Sunday..Little Pootle with my brother and his son on the bike seat.

Riding along just in front of him and this aggressive little brow furry crap machine starts to chase me and bites my calf. Almost throws me off my bike.

I stop. Hold my palm down so the crap machine can have a sniff….. Starts to jump up at me so I am sorry to say I hit it hard on the side of the face. Owner starts ranting and raving at me. Dog keeps jumping growling at me and then starts trying to jump up at the kid in the bike seat.

He is crying. Pick up a big stick and hit the dog as hard as I can and the crap bag runs away.

Ripped my cycling shorts and not particularly happy. Usual story… My dog hates bikes. Blah blah blah. Took a picture of the dog and owner but that’s about it.

Do we have to keep putting up with this crap? I love dogs… I had a dog for 15 years. But everyone defending this kind of behaviour is just not on.

Keep going over what I should have done differently…. Should I have hit the dog? Don’t know. Why do I feel bad? Keep replaying it over and over.

Hmmm

tjagain

Interesting point AA about the advice to cyclists. I shall ponder that a bit more but my first instinct is to say – cycling defensivly does not hold you up any nor create any other issues. Stopping for a dog that runs up to you does – it puts you at greater risk of attack as you can’t get away and it spolils your ride. But its a good point and I shall ponder it.

I have no issue at all with well behaved dogs – I am not even bothered if they are not on a lead. A well trained dog does not need to be on a lead. I have friends with dogs, we have had family dogs

I use a shared use path a lot that is used by dog walkers a lot. Most of the dogs ignore bikes. I saw one chap with half a dozen young collies all off lead. I thought that might be an issue. I rang my bell a distance away. He call “down” and all the dogs dropped to the ground. Thats fine.

One of the things I find hard to understand is that his path is used by a lot of cyclists. thousands a day. Those dogs that chase bikes and are still let off the lead – the owners must spend most of the walk in conflict with others. I don’t understand the mentality.

finally – the rape analogy is pretty accurate although it might be better put as the way some owners on here want us no dog folk to behave is the same as its a girls fault for being raped if she was unable to fight off her attacker despite the fact the p[olice advice is not to fight back

Some of you are victim blaming and you simply can’t see this. Its not my responsibility to do anything at all all when passing a dog. Its 100% the dogs owners responsibility and if your dog jumps up at me or runs at me I will hurt it – as badly as needed to keep it away from me and the law would be 100% on my side. Just perhaps the dog might learn chasing cyclists = getting hurt and stop doing so. I have only had to hurt two dogs in my life for coming at me – both ran off wimpering. I took pity on one pup and its owner that chased me and didn’t keep going so it ran onto the road.

finally the advice in the mountaineering guide I had for crete was to arm yourself with a stick to beat off dogs when out in the countryside

tjagain

doncorleoni

You should have hit it rather than giving it a hand to sniff. sharp kick under the jaw is the best I believe. NO need to injure it – it just gives it a shock.

You should have also reported it to the police and made sure it was put down.

doncorleoni
    Free Member

I don’t think I would want it put down tj… I thought if stopped he / she would calm down and have a sniff (as seems to work on most my dog encounters) but jumping up and growling at a kid in a bike seat is totally not on….the owner seemed completely oblivious to the distress it caused little Ben (the kid) and “he hates bikes” is just a terrible excuse.

The stick was big and heavy and the crap bag yelped as it ran away so perhaps it’s what it needed.

Cougar

I’m not scared, I just don’t want to interact with other people’s dogs

A dog being a dog and walking past you ignoring you

Whilst I agree 100% with your point Nick, you seem to be arguing against a view AA doesn’t hold.

tjagain

don – the only answer is to get them put down. Dog owners might take a little more care if they hear from others of dogs being put down. Once its gets round the dog owners that dogs chaing bikes and attacking cyclists get put down it will give them more incentive to control their dogs.

angeldust
    Free Member

don – the only answer is to get them put down. Dog owners might take a little more care if they hear from others of dogs being put down. Once its gets round the dog owners that dogs chaing bikes and attacking cyclists get put down it will give them more incentive to control their dogs.

The problem is that I don’t think you understand what a dog attack is. Biting and drawing blood – yep, that’s an attack. A puppy playfully jumping up and licking your face? It may be unwanted, you may find it unpleasant, you may be scared, the owner should know better, but if you are sensible it’s not going to do you any harm. Should that dog get put down? Just because you are scared of dogs? Obviously we are talking about 2 extremes here, but I wouldn’t trust you to know the difference. That’s why it’s not up to you to decide what is right and wrong (thank God :lol:). Lack of perspective.

Dog owners that don’t give a toss about cyclists will just argue that a solution to this issue is to ‘ban’ cycling access to shared areas. Who do you think is going to win?

aracer
    Free Member

The ones who are breaking the law?

Presumably runners and children are also going to be banned from these shared areas?

angeldust
    Free Member

I think it’s probably unresolvable tbh, most dog owners can’t see the issue, and I’m bored of having to try to explain it to them

Agree, not something that is going to be realistically resolved without TJ roaming the country with a bolt gun enforcing his law on any mutt that dares to look twice at him.

nickc

Cougar, if the dog is on a lead I don’t have to think about it. End. if the dog isn’t, I have to make a judgement about what it’ll do. Now, some dogs you can see are old, shuffling along they’re probs not going to be any bother,puppies, same no bother, but every other dog I have to think “where’s the owner” and what’s my actions if this dog does something. I shouldn’t have to do that. And putting a dog on lead stops it

If AA’s dog is not going to bother me, then fab, one less I have to think about.

I routinely run ride and walk in Hardcastle Crags, it’s a massively popular NT site, when ever I do it’s a rare day if I’m not plucking doggy bags from trees, stopping my run to let dog owners catch their pets to leash them, or stopping on my bike to stop Westies from nipping my feet. None of it is scary, just tedious and dull.

angeldust
    Free Member

The ones who are breaking the law?

The dog owners. The question stands, who do you think are going to win?

Presumably runners and children are also going to be banned from these shared areas?

Don’t know. Is TJ scared of them too?

anagallis_arvensis

‘m not scared, I just don’t want to interact with other people’s dogs and I don’t see why I should have to, just keep it on a lead, it solves 100% of unwanted dog interactions

I think you are labouring under the incorrect impression I have any control over other peoples dogs or really care that much about the behaviour of other peoples dogs. Indeed as the owner if a dog who often doesnt want to interact with other overly enthusiastic or downright aggressive dogs I can see your view and the view of others. When I see a german sheppard run at my dog with the owner shouting “be gentle” I want to kick said owner in the nuts and explain that her dog doesnt understand “be gentle” and the fact you need to shout it shows that the dog should actually be on a lead or called to the owner but they are too **** stupid work it out.

anagallis_arvensis

One of the things I find hard to understand is that his path is used by a lot of cyclists. thousands a day. Those dogs that chase bikes and are still let off the lead – the owners must spend most of the walk in conflict with others. I don’t understand the mentality.

Its because they are **** morons, accept this point and then look for a solution from what you can infulence. You cant change them, they are morons.

nickc

I think you are labouring under the incorrect impression I have any control over other peoples dogs

No, I’m not, HTH

dobo
    Free Member

Dogs will be dogs, they live in the moment, which maybe more of us should do. Nickc Saying they should all be on leads just for your selfish convenience is absurd.
    If we were to go by your train of thought then why not make all bikes for road use only where they cant bother pedestrians, horse riders etc?
    But wait, lets ban bikes cause they inconvenience cars? oh hang on.
    Learning how to interact with things around you is far more important than trying to control everything around you which ultimately ends in failure.

aracer
    Free Member

My apologies – that was supposed to be an answer, and the question mark just indicated that I was unsure if it was the correct answer.

Don’t know. Is TJ scared of them too?

I hope not, but presumably dog owners want to ban anybody who might complain about their dogs biting.

Though you’re presumably just being obtuse – do you really think dog owners incapable of controlling their dogs will succeed in banning cyclists from “shared areas” (which presumably for the sake of your argument includes BWs as that’s where I’ve been riding when bitten)?

nickc

Nickc Saying they should all be on leads just for your selfish convenience is absurd.

Oh, you’re so right! what was I thinking, not being bitten is just selfish and absurd and yet so convenient 😆

tjagain

Angledust – the issue is that its you who has no empathy and does not understand – people like you ( not AA ) are the problem.

dobo
    Free Member

Nickc Saying they should all be on leads just for your selfish convenience is absurd.

Oh, you’re so right! what was I thinking, not being bitten is just selfish and absurd and yet so convenient

Cougar, if the dog is on a lead I don’t have to think about it. End. if the dog isn’t, I have to make a judgement about what it’ll do. Now, some dogs you can see are old, shuffling along they’re probs not going to be any bother,puppies, same no bother, but every other dog I have to think “where’s the owner” and what’s my actions if this dog does something. I shouldn’t have to do that. And putting a dog on lead stops it

If AA’s dog is not going to bother me, then fab, one less I have to think about.

I routinely run ride and walk in Hardcastle Crags, it’s a massively popular NT site, when ever I do it’s a rare day if I’m not plucking doggy bags from trees, stopping my run to let dog owners catch their pets to leash them, or stopping on my bike to stop Westies from nipping my feet. None of it is scary, just tedious and dull.

Just reminding you what you said, seems pretty clear to me you see them as an inconvenience.

If all dogs were out there bitting people then you may have a point but you dont have a point. You want to put all dogs on leads just incase they inconvenience you.

701arvn
    Free Member

I’m wavering between dogs on leads at all times and the Electroshock Collar gambit.

To be honest the latter does sound like a lot of fun and a challenging new pastime to be enjoyed – can we get classes in it?

I may drop Sunday afternoon Archery, though there’s a thought.

phunkmaster
    Free Member

Out of curiosity, what is so wrong about thinking that dogs should be kept on a lead in public places?

Wouldn’t it solve a lot of the issues. Only negative I can think of is that it’s not very natural but I I’m currently sharing a couch with a dog whilst watching TV which doesn’t feel very natural either.

angeldust
    Free Member

Dogs will be dogs, they live in the moment, which maybe more of us should do. Nickc Saying they should all be on leads just for your selfish convenience is absurd.
    If we were to go by your train of thought then why not make all bikes for road use only where they cant bother pedestrians, horse riders etc?
    But wait, lets ban bikes cause they inconvenience cars? oh hang on.
    Learning how to interact with things around you is far more important than trying to control everything around you which ultimately ends in failure.

Well put. This is exactly what TJ cannot seem to understand.

Out of curiosity, what is so wrong about thinking that dogs should be kept on a lead in public places?

Wouldn’t it solve a lot of the issues. Only negative I can think of is that it’s not very natural but I I’m currently sharing a couch with a dog whilst watching TV which doesn’t feel very natural either.

It would solve some issues, but realistically it will never happen. Plenty of people manage to keep their dogs under control off the lead.

tjagain

Angledust – I understand your point completely. the problem here is you have no understanding of my point of view and no empathy

the problem is its wrong because its victim blaming and putting the responsibility on others. Its up to the dog owners to control their dogs and if they don’t I have to with a stick or a boot – and I will do this because hopefully the dog will learn that chasing cyclists get them hurt. You want me to reward the dog by making friends with it if it runs up to me – thats teaching the dog its OK to run up to stangers because they will make friends with them – behaviour training is about rewarding good behaviour not bad

You are victim blaming and showing the classic selfish dog owners attitude. still- you have outed yourself as selfish idiot.

I agree with you about leads – a well trained dog does not need one. However wiuth so many ignorant and selfish dog owners like you around perhaps compulsory leads are needed – which would be a shame as it punishes the good alongside the bad. But while selfish folk like yo insist that its our responsibility to make friends with your dog then maybe its the only way.

phunkmaster
    Free Member

It would solve some issues, but realistically it will never happen. Plenty of people manage to keep their dogs under control off the lead.

I agree with all of this but every issue I have had with a dog in public was due to the dog leaving its owner’s side.

Genuinely asking, which issues wouldn’t it solve?

Not trolling.

angeldust
    Free Member

Angledust – the issue is that its you who has no empathy and does not understand – people like you ( not AA ) are the problem.

You can repeat it as many times as you like, it’s still nonsense. I am both a biker and a dog owner/walker. Unlike you I can see if from both perspectives, and am willing to compromise, as that’s what you need to do in the real world. You on the other hand can’t tell if a dog is smoking a kipper or waging nuclear war. You are scared of dogs and they inconvenience you. You don’t have a balanced perspective on this, and your solution is zero tolerance – put them down to teach the owners a lesson. Great, and I am the one lacking empathy on this?

people like you ( not AA ) are the problem.

[/quote]

So, how am I the problem? Because I don’t agree with you? My dog is well trained, is always under control, and has never bitten (or even jumped up) at a biker? Again, how am I the problem?

dobo
    Free Member

I like the idea of animals being able to coexist with humans and have freedom.
    I can also imagine dogs getting less exercise and becoming more problematic if kept on leads. When dogs on leads fail what do we do with them then?
    What will the people that cant live in harmony with others complain about then?

tjagain

You are the problem because you do not understand non dog lovers viewpoint and you think its the victims responsibility.

Stupid, selfish an yes – your attitude its the problem here. It an attitude replicated all over the country – the dog can do no wrong – its the victims fault if bitten.

tjagain

I am not scared of dogs – this is one of the aspects you seem unable to understand. I just don’t want your smelly slavering mutt to bother me.

Yes it zero tolerance. would you be happy if I ran at your kids or at you shouting?

phunkmaster
    Free Member

I like the idea of animals being able to coexist with humans and have freedom.

Me too but my dog has instincts to kill smaller animals. I would hate for that unlikely event to happen. I’m not having him put to sleep because someone else’s dog is off a lead.

I can also imagine dogs getting less exercise and becoming more problematic if kept on leads.

That’s a problem of the owner. Walk further or take to an isolated place.

Not wanting to begin another argument, just cannot see any issues it won’t solve.

angeldust
    Free Member

You are victim blaming and showing the classic selfish dog owners attitude. still- you have outed yourself as selfish idiot.

TJ, once you again you are so blinded with rage you can’t think straight :D. What possible evidence do you have that I behave selfishly with my dog? I’m guessing you (incorrectly, as usual) have linked that the fact that I accept that people do not always control their dogs well, means I do the same? Correct me if I’m wrong on this? As a biker I know better than most exactly how to control my dog round bikes. Simply, I accept that other people are not always going to be as considerate as this, but just try and work around them. Seems like a better solution than shaking my fist at the sun crying about how unfair life is and how everything could be solved if you were allowed to euthanize badly behaved dogs, while failing to understand why everyone doesn’t agree with you :roll:.

angeldust
    Free Member

You are the problem because you do not understand non dog lovers viewpoint and you think its the victims responsibility.

Nope. I don’t think it is the victims responsibility. Not sure how many times I have to say that before it sinks in. But, I do think in the real world (where you are likely to encounter non-perfect owners, with non-perfectly behaved dogs) that there are sensible actions you can take to reduce the risk of getting chased/bitten/affectionately nuzzled. No, you shouldn’t ‘have’ to, but it means you can go about your life with looking like you have a stick up your bum all the time.

Yes it zero tolerance. would you be happy if I ran at your kids or at you shouting?

What, you personally?

squirrelking
    Free Member

Angeldust – give it up. You’ll never be right. You’re just feeding an ego at this point, there is literally nothing you can say that hasn’t been said before. Let him have the last word, it’s probably the only excitement he’ll get tonight. Tomorrow it’ll be something else, maybe fact based where he’ll quietly disappear when someone can unequivocally prove him wrong.

TJ – never let it be said I won’t say things directly. You’re getting well past your sell by date, even by this forums standards your predictable repetitive arguing is stale and beyond parody. You seem only to be here in order to argue, you thrive on drama and yet seem to be nowhere to be found when your arguments are found wanting. In the nicest possible way, get a life. Spending so much time on here winding folk up is a pretty sad waste don’t you think?

In fact come to think of it, taking the time to write this probably isn’t any more productive…

tjagain

Angeldust – am am not full of rage. I am not scared of dogs.

Its the attitude you display that is the problem. Your dog may be fine but you putting the onus on to non dog lovers shows your attitude which is a huge problem and your inability to understand others point of view reinforces this

Its not your control of your dog that is the problem – I have no knowledge of that. its your attitude that is the problem. Its your complete lack of understanding and empathy that the problem. Its your victim blaming that is the problem. Its your inability to see that your attitude is a huge issue that is the problem

Victim blaming stinks – and its what you have been doing consistently on this thead and it shows your utter lack of understanding of the issues

Jeezo – I really should remember that its pointless debating with someone with a closed mind.

angeldust
    Free Member

I agree with all of this but every issue I have had with a dog in public was due to the dog leaving its owner’s side.

Genuinely asking, which issues wouldn’t it solve?

Not trolling.

Wires crossed I think. I meant it would solve the dog related issues, as opposed to all the issues in the world (hunger, war etc). Just a figure of speech.

tjagain

Squrrellking – point taken and I apologise. I really should just make my point and then leave.

I do not deliberately set out to wind folk up at all and you know what – I have a good life. Ridden 30 miles today and spent 6 hours helping rebuild a classic car but your point is right and its one I should rembember

angeldust
    Free Member

Jeezo – I really should remember that its pointless debating with someone with a closed mind.

You can’t seem to stop though, can you 8).

tjagain

NOpe 😉 its my flaw. Or one of them. I apologise again for ending up in a debate going nowhere and causing friction. I’m sorry.

angeldust
    Free Member

Squrrellking – point taken and I apologise. I really should just make my point and then leave.

This is the problem. Frankly, you don’t have the intelligence to see things from a greater perspective. That isn’t meant as an insult (although I know it looks like one), just an observation. You can’t comprehend how or why people may disagree with you, and your only way of dealing with it is to keep coming back to tell them that they are wrong.

angeldust
    Free Member

Happy to leave it there and move on.

tjagain

Intelligence? *muffled mutterings and splutterering* 😉 plenty of that here – probably plenty of other aspects of personality tho that lead me into these situations and I accept its wrong of me.

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 384 total)

The topic ‘Dog attack/police response’ is closed to new replies.