• This topic has 383 replies, 74 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by Jamie.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 384 total)
  • Dog attack/police response
  • angeldust
    Free Member

Right – so there you are riding along and a dog starts running at you and you think we should stop?

Yep. I see why it would be counter intuitive to someone who doesn’t understand dogs, but lets face it you are unable to understand other Human’s perspectives, so we have no chance of you thinking from a dogs point of view :lol:. Why don’t you try it if you are experiencing constant dog attacks? There is a 1 in a million chance it might backfire and you could be mauled by a rabid dog, but in your case I’m willing to take that chance :twisted:.

On a serious note, on the very few occasions I have passed a dog and it has chased or jumped up (99% of the time because it wants to play; 1% because it is being aggressive) I will always stop. I’ve never been bitten. Plus I quite like stopping and ‘saying hello’ to the dog. This usually gives the owner a chance to get control (yes, I know it should be under control anyway, but as we know that isn’t always the case, especially in ‘remote’ locations). Also (obviously) stops the dog chasing, and means there is no chance of me accidentally hurting the dog (I know some of you guys don’t care about that, but if the dogs out of control it is the owners fault, not the animal).

tjagain

Its not “counter-intuitive” its just stupid advice and victim blaming. Far better advice is to kick it hard so it learns that chasing cyclists hurts and stops doing it. I have only had to do this twice – both times the dog ran off whimpering. a much better result

I use a bell to give the owner plenty of warning of my approach and plenty of time to get the dog under control. If they don’t then the consequences are on their head

701arvn
    Free Member

I agree with angeldust but suggest the following variation.

Stop, then cast around the vicinity for a large stick, or, at a push, a rock. Make it quite plain that you are not going to be bitten to both dog and owner. One of them will assess the situation and decide to **** off and bother someone else.

We should all practice zero tolerance until dogs are kept on leads at all times. There really is no excuse for this.

lazybike
    Free Member

Blimey…straight to the nuclear option! I did once try to kick a dog that was attacking my dog …. It was a swing and a miss.

tjagain

angeldust – the OP did pretty much what you suggest and got bitten – thats how stupid your “advice” is

anagallis_arvensis

I use a bell to give the owner plenty of warning of my approach and plenty of time to get the dog under control. If they don’t then the consequences are on their head

No the consequence is on the head of the dog you kicked!

Given that I have in the past got into a physical confrontation with some idiot for merely grabbing the collar of a dog that was going for my on lead dog I think the boot first and ask questions later advice may not be the best…maybe better for bikers than runners.

anagallis_arvensis

Oh and TJ before you lay into angledusts advice in your normal Pavlovian manner maybe you should re read the op.

lazybike
    Free Member

I did out sprint a dog once…was on my road bike though, it came out of nowhere and didn’t look like it wanted to make friends..

tjagain

Anyway a few weeks ago I had just begun the journey had passed one chap as above then spotted a lady coming towards me with a Doberman/pointer looking dog, did my usual slow down said hello and as she made no attempt to control her dog I continued on, cue the dog turning round chasing after me and biting the back of my calf,

Ok he didn’t stop – but he did what most dog apologists say to to and still got bitten. Are you seriously suggesting that everytime you see a dog come towards you you have to stop completely and get off the bike? I’d never get anywhere

anagallis_arvensis

You can do what you like I couldnt care less.

701arvn
    Free Member

I don’t understand why people should have to stop (so they don’t get bitten) to deal with and an out of control animal and this is deemed acceptable. Its like some weird cultural blind spot.

If farmers let their animals roam free and cause a nuisance, it would soon be stopped. What’s so special about dogs?

Leads should be mandatory in all public places at all times.

For Gods sake, nobody mention cats, it could get ugly.

richmtb

When I’m out riding sometimes my bike bumps into people out walking. Once or twice its front tyre has scuffed the legs of people leaving big muddy marks all over them. Its only playing though!

Occasionally I jump off and let the bike roll down hills on its own, I feel a bit cruel sitting on it all the time its good for it to get a run on its own. I know this upsets some people but they should realise that where I take my bike is very popular with other people with bikes and they just need to get used to being around bikes

jimjam
    Free Member

701arvn – Member

I don’t understand why people should have to stop (so they don’t get bitten) to deal with and an out of control animal and this is deemed acceptable.

They don’t, they shouldn’t and it isn’t acceptable.

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

🙂

more people who think the world needs to fit in with the animals they choose to take responsibility for… yet some how don’t…

some of whom were pretty unpleasant to the OP on the other thread, and some of the posts on that disappeared so you cannot see just how unpleasant.

You can do what you like I couldnt care less.

and there is the attitude of the owners who cause this whole issue..

tjagain

Dogs should be under control at all times. a well trained dog does not need a lead and making leads mandatory would penalise good dog owners.

What we need is for people to report out of control dogs to the police and have them put down. a few pets killed legally might make people think twice

scrumfled
    Free Member

Its also unacceptable to have to jump back from pedestrian crossings because a driver/cyclist has jumped the red. You do it anyway because is better than being “dead right”.

Same thing here, dogs shouldn’t harass people, but sometimes you have to pander to the minor inconvenience to avoid bigger hassle. it doesn’t make the owner any less of a **** but it saves your skin.

After the event you can choose how you deal with aftermath (eg if just playful vs genuinely aggressive)

jimjam
    Free Member

tjagain

Dogs should be under control at all times. a well trained dog does not need a lead and making leads mandatory would penalise good dog owners.

Well trained is quite subjective and very few people are capable of making an honest assessment about their animals. But some degree of compromise, perhaps smaller dogs off lead but only if muzzled.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

I’m still interested to learn how my body language can protect me from a dog that attacks from behind me.

tjagain

I have a mate who used to have a Lurcher. It never went on a lead as it didn’t have to. It was properly trained. It would recall to command even in a sheep field and would heel to command – and would stop at every kerb to wait to be given permission to cross the road. dogs like this I have no issue with at all

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

zippykona, any joy from the police?

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

It can be done – Sunday before last I counted 45 dogs I saw on a 1 hour ride on Esher and Oxshott Common. All polite owners. I usually talk to the dog as I approach. Perhaps 1/10 rides I encounter a badly behaved owner-dog combo.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

a few pets killed legally might make people think twice

I heard the following from a deerpark warden, not a NT person btw.

A pair of big dogs had chased and killed deer on several occasions, owners were contacted, situation explained more than once. Said warden caught up with them one time, in the act, and the dogs were shot. The dead animals and a mangled deer were returned to the owner.

Said owner showed no concern whatsoever.

I’ll offer this as a worst-case dog owner scenario.

nedrapier

Its also unacceptable to have to jump back from pedestrian crossings because a driver/cyclist has jumped the red. You do it anyway because is better than being “dead right”.

Yup. But if the driver of that car told you that you were at fault for not being prepared for his irresponsible actions, you’d be a bit miffed, wouldn’t you?

That’s why this approach gets such a strong reaction, because it’s often being put forward by the people who are responsible for the danger in the first place.

anagallis_arvensis

and there is the attitude of the owners who cause this whole issue..

How is me not giving a **** about TJ’s attitude in anyway related to how my dog behaves. If you cannot read a thread with a basic understanding of the words why bother?

anagallis_arvensis

Free venison! Result!

jimjam
    Free Member

anagallis_arvensis

Get ****, my dog has never chased a cyclist let alone bitten one you dumb shit.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Free venison! Result!

…and no more expensive Vet’s bills: win-win.

Jamie
    Free Member

Free venison! Result!

Won’t someone think of the children!

aracer
    Free Member

In no way excusing the driver, obviously it is there responsibility to control the car, but does this ever happen to people that are not scared of cars?

drlex
    Free Member

The simple thing to do is to start a civil claim, the criminal sanction will be minor

A simple “letter before action” as a starter for ten, it will tease out whether the owner has insurance or not
    …is what I’d be doing in the OP’s (lightly-nibbled) shoes.

anagallis_arvensis

That’s why this approach gets such a strong reaction, because it’s often being put forward by the people who are responsible for the danger in the first place.

What I dont get is why people on here, not necessarily you, cant seem to separate out the idiot owners of dogs and someone who tries to give some friendly advice on here.
    My dog has never chased a bike or a runner and yet just because I own a dog I’m part of the problem.

theotherjonv

In no way excusing the driver, obviously it is there responsibility to control the car, but does this ever happen to people that are not scared of cars?

😀

Although to counter, I’d wager that people who have no idea of how to behave around cars have a substantially higher risk of being run over. And it’s sensible to tell people who don’t know how to behave, what might be appropriate things to do to be safer. It might not save you if a car mounts the pavement but equally, it’ll give you the life skills to stop you just walking into the road.

That’s not apologising for bad driving by the way, it’s called ‘being sensible’

angeldust
    Free Member

Are you seriously suggesting that everytime you see a dog come towards you you have to stop completely and get off the bike? I’d never get anywhere

No, of course not. I only stop (put a foot down, no need to get off the bike) if it’s an energetic/playful dog that I’m worried about hurting should it go under my wheels or get accidentally kicked. Probably have to stop once in every ~1000 dogs I pass(i.e. very rarely) when the situation warrants it (usually a narrow track etc). I think the problem you would have in this scenario is that you would not recognise a friendly dog/rabid pitbull from a slap round the chops with a wet haddock.

Have you ever gone through a farmers field full of cattle with a warning sign? There are a number near me that advise you not to run if the cattle approach you. Why do you think that is?

kerley
    Free Member

My dog has never chased a bike or a runner and yet just because I own a dog I’m part of the problem.

Nope. You are part of the problem because you continue to fail to understand that it is the dog owners responsibility to control their dog and not the responsibility of the person being attacked. Whether you own a dog or not is irrelevant.

jimjam
    Free Member

Slightly off topic but could someone recommend me a dog? Since I’m not legally allowed to carry anything to protect myself and my family from dog attacks and since there seems to be little or no legal repercussions from using a dog to injure or intimidate people I figure I might as well arm myself accordingly.

Any recommendations for a good weapon dog ?

kerley
    Free Member

I have 2 Chihuahua’s and they are up for taking any other dog on.

I have a feeling they may not be up to it when push comes to shove though….

jimjam
    Free Member

kerley – Member

I have 2 Chihuahua’s and they are up for taking any other dog on.

I have a feeling they may not be up to it when push comes to shove though….

No I was thinking of something at least my own weight that drags me around like a piece of lettuce, something I can barely control.

angeldust
    Free Member

Nope. You are part of the problem because you continue to fail to understand that it is the dog owners responsibility to control their dog and not the responsibility of the person being attacked. Whether you own a dog or not is irrelevant.

He takes responsibility for his dog, and as a dog owner has some empathy with other dog owners. What more can he do? No one is saying it is the fault of the person being bitten, or their responsibility to ‘not get bitten’ :roll:. Do you really believe that is what he thinks? If you can take some sensible real world advice to reduce the chance of getting bitten when passing a dog, why would you deliberately ignore that as it’s ‘not your problem’. Scrotes shouldn’t be allowed to burgle your house, but do you leave your door unlocked because in an ideal world the law would prevent them from doing so?

angeldust
    Free Member

Slightly off topic but could someone recommend me a dog? Since I’m not legally allowed to carry anything to protect myself and my family from dog attacks and since there seems to be little or no legal repercussions from using a dog to injure or intimidate people I figure I might as well arm myself accordingly.

Any recommendations for a good weapon dog ?

Poodle. No, really. They have one of the strongest bite strengths of any dog. Also an elaborate haircut could put would-be victims off their guard.

scrumfled
    Free Member

An Orange 5? 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 384 total)

The topic ‘Dog attack/police response’ is closed to new replies.