Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 245 total)
  • Dog Attack on Sheep :-( **Warning Not Pretty Pix **
  • epicsteve
    Free Member

I saw a dead sheep at the side of the trail yesterday (near the waterfall in Green Cleugh in the Pentlands). Didn’t think of it at the time but I suppose that was likely to have been done by a dog as well.

anagallis_arvensis

If a dog is breed to bring down a deer, a sheep’s not going to be a problem…

Actually your average roe deer doesnt put up much of a fight at all I would imagine a pissed off sheep would be a tougher proposition, although not by much.

You wouldnt need a huge dog to do that but it certainly wasnt a yorkie

anagallis_arvensis

Well am I the only one that worries it could have been a child?
    If a dog is able to do that to a sheep/ewe, what is going to stop it to do the same to a child?

Instinct? My lurcher would make micemeat of a rabbit and deer, (sheep too I suppose given the chance) but has as yet shown no sign of wanting to kill any children.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Well am I the only one that worries it could have been a child?

Probably not.

Although a dog’s hunting instincts are more likely to kick in at the sight of loose sheep, than the sight of a human child.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

It’s more the owners IMO…

I can’t imagine any human with such a powerful jaw/canines combination 😯

You can sure it wouldn’t be a vegan anyway. 🙄

matt_outandabout

Really ? ……Felis silvestris ? Adult sheep ?

Very surprising
    According to farmer….

cynic-al
    Free Member

Human could be blind DD or just doing it for the sport.

Waderider
    Free Member

What wild animal in the UK would attack an adult sheep ?

Ticks – vicious bastards.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

According to farmer….

Sure he didn’t just see one feeding on a carcass ? Wildcats are really not that big……voles and mice are much their sort of prey. And they only hunt alone.

redthunder
    Free Member

Someone mentioned the price at £450. The farmer said it was a Cotswold type sheep so a pedigree Considered it a pet almost.

http://www.cotswoldsheepsociety.co.uk

Like Juan said imagine if it was kid or adult for that matter 🙁

frankyspanky69
    Free Member

opps

brakes
    Free Member

NFU Mutual suggest ~20,000 sheep are killed or injured in such attacks every year
    perhaps it was aliens looking for replacement mandibles
    a ewe-f-o, if you will

emma82
    Free Member

Sorry – Ben left his account open – hence franky’s opps

My inlaws are sheep farmers, they often have barneys with people who let their dogs off and run amongst the sheep because ‘sweet little billy dog’ would never hurt a sheep, he’s just playing sheep dog. Well, they get a shock sometimes when Billy doesn’t play sheep dog so well with a bullet in his head. To be fair it’s pretty hard to shoot a dog chasing sheep as they get in amongst them making them hard targets so it doesn’t happen very often.

My aunt and uncle lost 2 pedigree labs to a seriously angry farmer who warned them numerous times about the dogs getting loose and going for their sheep, he shot them (rightly so) and dumped them outside my aunt’s front door. So many people don’t realise (not saying you lot don’t but I’ve spoken to a lot of people who are clueless) that if sheep are carrying lambs, any stress can mean they start aborting left, right and center so its not just attacks that cause serious damage.

so + 1 from me for shooting the owners as well as the dogs

GlitterGary
    Free Member

It was probably the work of aliens.

user-removed
    Free Member

Doesn’t look like a big cat attack – surely we’ve all seen what the aftermath looks like on nature progs? They tend to grab the throat and smother the victim whilst disembowelling with the back legs / claws.

Disturbing stuff – my dog spends a lot of time on Skye (where there are millions of sheep which no-one actually wants, but the owners receive a pittance from the government) and he has had to be severely trained when it comes to the wooly blighters. Still wouldn’t trust him 100% though, so he spends his whole time on an extending lead on Skye 🙁

juan
    Free Member

Still I think dog capable of doing that should be put down… Just in case, once the kid is disfigured it’s too late.

CaptJon
    Free Member

brakes – Member
    NFU Mutual suggest ~20,000 sheep are killed or injured in such attacks every year

Don’t tell Ernie that. What is ‘seriously pissed off’ multiplied by 20,000?

Houns

Poor beast 🙁

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Clearly the work of aliens. All evidence suggests it.

anagallis_arvensis

jaun I think you seriously lack an understanding of dogs, mine pulls rabbits apart for fun, Frank is about the size of a rabbit

Dog maybe should be put down but not because its necessarily a threat to kids.

FFJA
    Free Member

£50 to dispose of it is because you’re not allowed to bury them anymore have to be disposed of via knacker man.. Oh and a dog will easily inflict that much damage, i know from personal experience!

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Aliens inflict far more damage.

emma82
    Free Member

anagallis that is the cutest picture ever 😀

thegreatape
    Free Member

There’s a farm near here that I’ve been to twice because of dogs worrying the sheep. First time this pair of dogs just chased them around a bit. Second time they dogs injured 9, one (the following day) fatally due to biting it’s neck. Would you believe, the dogs responsible were two collies that belonged to the neighbouring sheep farmer. I did him for it, JP’s fined him a couple of hundred quid.

£50 to dispose of it is because you’re not allowed to bury them anymore have to be disposed of via knacker man..

Correct.

neilc1881
    Free Member

And the knackers trailer is the one you want to avoid being overtaken by/following through b-roads round these parts. Considering some breeds will die of shock if trapped in a fence for a few hours, a rampant pet can do a lot of damage to a flock, not necessarily an immediate effect either.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Don’t tell Ernie that. What is ‘seriously pissed off’ multiplied by 20,000?

Dunno, but it must nearly be up around how you feel when you hear about someone stabbing a heavily pregnant young woman and then setting a fire.

….and little fleas have lesser fleas….

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

LOL ! What’s this ……… am I the new “TJ” now ?

Are the forum bullies a tad bored without TJ, and now need someone new to gang up on ? 😀

Read my post and you’ll see that I wasn’t much bothered about the death of a sheep, just the fact that it was slow and prolonged.

But hey, you knew that anyway………”facts” are clearly of no importance !

Stoner
    Free Member

now now, dont you dare flounce!

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Will if I want.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

It was aliens.

druidh
    Free Member

A local shepherd carries with him a laminated extract of the Countryside (Scotland) Act 1976. He shows it to the owners of dogs he has just shot, explaining why he has the right to do so.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

i hope the dog owner responsible mans up and compensates the farmer

the dog owner will think it was under control at all times and would have come to heel upon command, and hence not out of control or sheep worrying (he would have been convincing himself of that as s/he legged it to their car to make a getaway)

godzilla
    Free Member

Dog’s worry sheep cows horses chickens and even other dogs, im an dog warden in a rural area and i am forever getting reports of peoples dogs worrying animals, its not uncommon for dogs from the next farm to take a wander and worry your stock, or dogs that have never seen a sheep ect to attack in a flash causing a fatal injury with one bite. Keep you dog on a lead unless your prepared to have it shot and be forced to pay for the damage if it damages or even upsets livestock.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

The thing that people are missing here is that it was aliens.

samuri
    Free Member

I think any medium sized dog is capable of doing that sort of damage.
    Even a terrier can do a lot of damage to something say rabbit sized if it starts trying to fight back. A standard lab could easy mess a sheep up like that.

Have you never looked inside a dogs mouth?

chewkw
    Free Member

The owner of the dog(s) should be shot or hack to death like in the movie “The Wild Geese” for letting the dog do that …

nickf
    Free Member

A local shepherd carries with him a laminated extract of the Countryside (Scotland) Act 1976. He shows it to the owners of dogs he has just shot, explaining why he has the right to do so.

If anyone shot my dogs they’d be in huge trouble. Laminated extract or no, and irrespective of the law, the shooter would either have to make a very hasty retreat, or be prepared to use the gun again.

And I really am not joking.

ononeorange

Was riding in the Cotswolds in a big field with sheep last spring (just after lambing time) when a nearly full-grown Alsatian came over the hill chasing sheep and yelping. I chased after it shouting at it but it didn’t stop – before I could get hold of the dog it caught and rapidly killed a lamb against a fence which was pretty shocking. I got hold of it and just yelled at it, and then its owner just saunters up and – get this – gives it a dog biscuit and says “good boy”!!! By now more than a little wound up I asked her what she thought she was doing and pointed at the dead lamb and called her and her dog a few choice names. She then proceeds to deny that her dog had anything to do with it, despite it having been killed almost in front of me and she’d been several hundred yards away ignoring her dogs frantic yelps. I’d assumed that owners were always responsible until that moment; I can sympathise with the farmers with that type of idiot-owner wandering about.

Forgive the rant but I’m still wound up about the stupid……

juan
    Free Member

Well be glad rules of decencies forbid me to tell you what I really think about your attitude.

DrJ

Typical dog owner.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 245 total)

The topic ‘Dog Attack on Sheep :-( **Warning Not Pretty Pix **’ is closed to new replies.