Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Dog at the vets yesterday
  • mitsumonkey
    Free Member

My working labs nearly 11 now, he’s slowing right down, basically getting old.
    He’s never been to the vets for anything other than for inoculations (stopped at 5). Never had anything wrong with him!
    Took him in yesterday as he has something growing in his eye turns out it’s either a melanoma or cyst, either way he could lose his eye. If we take it further.
    Whilst we were there the vet concluded he has arthritis in his shoulder (he has a slight limp and an enlarged irregular shaped prostrate gland.
    Poor lad he’s been an absolute A1 athletic specemin all his life, now his mortality is catching up with him.
    Bugger.
    Sorry it’s just a rambling post, it’s made me quite sad if I’m honest.

devash
    Free Member

Its amazing how fast dogs recover from surgery. Losing an eye isn’t such a big deal as it would be for a human.

11 is a good age for a retriever and it sounds like he’s had a cracking life with hopefully a few more years in him. We lost one of our Flat Coated retrievers to cancer a couple of years ago and he was only 6. Absolutely devastating.

The only down side to owning dogs is that they die sooner than you. That and having to pick up their mess. I’d say its still la good deal though for all the love they bring. 😆

Scapegoat

At 11 his working life may be over or very limited, but that doesn’t mean he won’t enjoy a few more years of genteel retirement. Have a proper word with the vet. Apart from potentially losing the eye ( which as above, isn’t the devastating tragedy humans think it is) you need to know what the tumor and the prostate issue mean. If he’s going to be in discomfort and distress through being incontinent or whatever, then you’ll need to do the right thing. If however he still enjoys his walks and his grub, and greets you enthusiastically with a wagging tail, then enjoy his companionship a bit more on his terms than yours. If he’s had a full working life then you’ve already done far more him, and he for you than many many more dogs out there.

jamesfuller
    Free Member

Our Springer is blind, he went blind at 5, he is now 12. They adapt to things very well, losing one eye will hardly phase him, would soon get used to it.
    Also, we have/had other dogs with arthritis and they hobble on a bit, but they still enjoy life.

Previous experience is that, when a dog is not happy, cant ever get comfortable enough to enjoy the things they love (even if just eating and sleeping) they change, you pick up on it and that’s the point that you have to make the horrible decision to make them comfortable again.

Spoil him rotten, do what he loves!

Sandwich

When he turns his nose up at food, it will be time. Other than that keep him comfy and enjoy his twilight years.

pete68
    Free Member

Our 11 year old springer is at the vets tomorrow. Probably got to have a tooth removed. It’s been broken for years after a bashing on the other dogs head! Looks like it may have an infection now. Not great timing as we’re supposed to be going away for Christmas on Tuesday.

Big-Dave
    Free Member

Its amazing how fast dogs recover from surgery. Losing an eye isn’t such a big deal as it would be for a human.

My dog lost a toe to melanoma a couple of years ago, in fact he has endured cancer twice, has arthritis, dry eye and knackered teeth. At 12 1/2 years old I’m well aware that time is not on his side yet this morning he was chasing around on the beach after a puppy and playing with any dog that came near him. As long as a dog is happy and loved I reckon they can cope with most things.

irc

We had a dog that lost an eye after being attacked. He went onm for years afterwards with no real issues. I think he was about 5 or 6. He went on until he was 16.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Our old boy, (my dog as a kid) got glaucoma at 11 in one eye. The vet was worried about putting him to sleep to do the op at such an age. Holy shit, new lease of life was an understatement, it had obviously been giving him jip for a while, when he came back from the vets that night he decided to become a puppy again and live for another 8 years. 19 years old before we had to pull the plug as he was still being stupid but just couldn’t see or hear anymore. Miss that dog ….

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies guys, his working days have been over for some time now, he’s just a lazy old spoilt house dog nowadays, and he loves it! 😀
    The main two wories I have is his eye and the arthritis. If he has to have the eye out, it’s a risk at his age being knocked out. The arthritis is also a big worry, he was very slow coming back from his walk this morning, he struggled to walk as fast as me so I had to slow up for him, that’s never happened before.
    I think I’ll just keep him on the olive oil, cod liver oil and glucosamine. Keep a close watch on his eye and see how we go (pardon the pun) over the next couple of months.

Sandwich

So you’re keeping an eye out? IGMC

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

Sadly he had to be put you to sleep today. Everything was fine, his eye and arthritis no worse but he went off his legs yesterday, his back legs wouldn’t function. Took him to the emergency vet last night who gave him some painkillers and he had xrays which gave no firm diagnosis. Went to the vet this morning first thing, they initially thought it could be a slipped disk but further xrays confirmed the worst news possible. He had prostate cancer and it had enlarged so much it was pressing 2 vertibraes in his spine together. There was sadly no treatment.
    He had never been in any obvious pain and even went on his walk yesterday morning even breaking into a trot at one stage!
    I will miss him so much, we are all just devastated.
    I just feel so thankful and honoured to have had such a lovely natured and loyal friend as him and will cherish the years we had together.
    RIP Boss, the best mate I’ve ever had.

fionap

So sorry to hear that. At least you know he didn’t suffer with it at all – like you say, happily going on his walk shows he wasn’t in any discomfort.

dantsw13

Awful news -really sorry. I’ve just gone and given my Spaniel a big hug.

captaincarbon
    Free Member

Sad news . . Good that he was in no obvious pain. Another Spaniel’s gonna get a big fuss when I get home . .

richc
    Free Member

Shit news; sounds like he had a great life and you did the right thing when the time came

househusband

How awful – our condolences.

bearnecessities

Sorry to hear about that 🙁 Sounds like he didn’t suffer and he’s possibly hassling Ziggy for a bit of fuss right now.

jimw
    Free Member

So so sorry. Deepest sympathy to you all.
    You never forget the good times.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Sad times. Remember the good times.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Dog at the vets yesterday’ is closed to new replies.