Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Dog advice…..getting two sisters back together again!
  • georgecats_0
    Free Member

We have a 31/2 year old Bedlington bitch (spade) and have the opportunity of adopting her sister (not spayed….has had a litter), they’ve not met for over 3 years, but this Saturday we are meeting up to see how they get on, any similar experiences?

rickon
    Free Member

Loads of good info online about introducing dogs to each other. Forget that they used to know each other, and deal with them as you would two dogs who don’t know each other.

http://m.petmd.com/dog/training/evr_introducing_a_new_dog_to_a_resident_dog

Personally, I’d starting a neutral place, outside with some space so the dogs don’t feel hemmed in. See how they get on, and it’ll give you need idea how they’ll be together.

However, from experience a new dog can take up to 3 months before they show their true character in a new home. During that initial period you may have a far easier time than later on. So just play it by ear, and keep an eye on both dogs to step it if anything happens.

br
    Free Member

I was always under the impression that two sisters was about the worse pair to have – or am I wrong?

Teetosugars
    Free Member

I was always under the impression that two sisters was about the worse pair to have – or am I wrong?

Depends on if we’re still talking dogs…. 😉

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

No idea about that age difference but our red fox lab & her sister met up again the other week for the 1st time in 5-6 weeks. (3 1/2 months old ish)

Absolute carnage. Scrapped for 3 hours solid.

ferrals
    Free Member

Conversely my folks met a sister of their dog on a walk, now regularly meet up as they love playing together. Their dog still a puppy though

CheesybeanZ

Our dog meets his sister quite regularly , tryes to hump her every time .

sharkbait
    Free Member

Our cocker meets at least one of her sisters every couple of weeks – there is no bond between them once they’ve been separated for a while.

Not heard that one – my sister had a pair of cockers that were sisters and they got on great, but obvs that’s just one example.

ahsat

My parents old Springers were sisters – absolutely loved each other, but grew up with each other. Was so sad when one died – the other one just went into her shell for weeks and spent all the time in the garden trying to look for her. Found her in really odd places!

Friends had two cockers – mother and daughter. Nearly killed each other (after one had a phantom pregnancy) and had to be permanently separated.

Think is so depends on the dogs. I agree with comments above – they probably wont know they knew each other!

benp1

They’ll just see them as another dog, not a relative

Our black labs are half brothers. It’s nice in a sentimental way that they have the same sire but they don’t know it and it’s not particularly relevant (apart from the sire being big and with a good temperament). They’re 7 years apart

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Dog advice…..getting two sisters back together again!’ is closed to new replies.