Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Dog advice French Bulldog
  • robbie
    Free Member

So my other half is seriously considering getting a French bulldog, does anyone on here have any experience with the breed? I’m just not sure if it’s my type of dog, I don’t know if it will actually be up for walking as much as I would, I want something that you can take up the hill for a decent walk not just round the block, Everything I’ve read suggests they don’t need that much excercise and tire quickly? Apart from the walking thing I think it would fit in well as they are supposed to be kid friendly? Just looking for some insight if anybody has kept one?
    Cheers

loddrik
    Free Member

Fashionable dogs at stupidly silly prices. Don’t perpetuate it.

survivor

A relation has one. Friendly little thing but it sounds like it struggles to breathe.

I’d suggest getting some poor little rescue mutt instead. It’ll be much healthier.

mattyfez

Yeah I’d suggest getting a dog that will fit in with your lifestyle, if you are very active than you want a similar dog, not one with breathing difficulties and other genetic defects.

Id’ suggests as above, visit some rescue centers and see what they have.

robbie
    Free Member

Unfortunately she won’t consider a rescue, As we went down that road before, the dog was great with me but got a bit possessive, wouldn’t walk with or even acknowledge the kids or my other half, we battled on for over a year with her but in the end it caused too many problems and we had to return her to the rescue, It broke my heart, so we are thinking of a pup so it grows with the family,

jimoiseau
    Free Member

Having known someone with one and spent some time with it, the positive I would say is they are incredibly well behaved when trained. The one I knew would stop eating if any food fell out of her bowl and eat the food off the floor before carrying on, would stay out of any given room in the house when told even with doors left open etc. However as noted, they don’t need much exercise and are fine not even really leaving the house as long as they scamper up and down the stairs a few times per day. Also as mentioned can be very expensive essentially just because they’re fashionable at the moment. From what you’ve said it doesn’t seem like the dog for you.

tops5
    Free Member

We have one and it perfectly fit and healthy – she will walk run about all day. Only think with nice long walks is that they don’t like the cold.

A reputable/responsible. Breeder won’t charge stupid prices. Stay away from fad colours like grey/blue

slimjim78
    Free Member

Breeder will still likely charge north of £1k. Great looking little things but breathing difficulties common, plus many are forced to be born via c-section as skulls are too large for mothers birth canal.

Completely unnatural in these respects and therefore should not be bred in my humble opinion.

Was your previous breed a collie by any chance? Natuarally possessive and readily bonds with dominant family member. There’s absolutely no guarantee that any puppy you purchase will turn out any different to your previous dog. It has to be best to rescue a poor homeless mutt than pay a breeder hand over fist, surely?

If adamant on puppy, look at Boston Terriers. Hard to tell apart from frenchies to the untrained eye, yet much more sprightly and exercise able. Notoriously stubborn to house train though, apparently.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

A friend of my daughter has one.
    It cost a couple of thousand as a pup and within 18 months they’d added another few thousand in vet’s bills.
    It’s a playful little thing, but has breathing problems and sore eyes. Doesn’t like hot weather either.
    Please don’t get one. They’re one of those breeds that have been bred to be extreme, and are paying the price. Caesarian sections are common as their heads are too big for a natural birth.
    Poor little buggers.

robbie
    Free Member

Our previous dog was a Staffordshire Bull terrier. Absolutely brilliant in a lot of ways and I would still have her if I had been a single guy. Yes it feels wrong to pay someone a lot of money for a fashionable dog. I will have a look at other breeds. Thanks for the advice so far

dantsw13

Active dog, great with kids, sounds like my Working Cocker Spaniel!

anagallis_arvensis

Saw a couple today when I was walking my lurcher. Seemed friendly enough but the quizzical look they gave Kea as she bounded off before they plodded on with their walk said it all to me.

hatter

The first person to breed a Frenchie with the Louis Vuitton logo patterns on its coat will make a killing.

My sister has one, cost an arm and a leg, endearing, friendly little thing but I can’t avoid the impression that it is a bit of a fashion accessory.

If you have a Prada handbag that needs accessorising then be my guest, not my thing though.

beefheart
    Free Member

They are lovely dogs but doesn’t sound like what you’re looking for.
    My Mum has one- they do get knackered on long long walks, but are still (well hers is) super enthusiastic and smiley.
    I can confirm the one I’ve known has been brilliant with my boy- super friendly and smiley, and very playful.
    Not supposed to like water or to be able to swim either, but my mum’s happily jumps in lakes and rivers all the time.
    A ‘companion’ dog is what they’re bred for.
    Very clever too- and can understand many words.

beefheart
    Free Member

I would also add get vet insurance, as in its first year it had an operation on it’s eye and it’s leg totalling about £4000!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Dog advice French Bulldog’ is closed to new replies.