Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Does your stove click?
  • bearnecessities

Mine does. Obvz it’s heating up and down and I expect that, and when I get a sweet spot of temp, it sits there all belly dancing the flaming loveliness, silently.

Then as soon as it starts to cool down a bit, it’s click…click….click….

I only really noticed how prevalent it was when I had reason to recently record myself talking, and listening back I heard click…click…click..clikck continuously in the background.

Now I can’t stop hearing it!

Par for the course, or do I have a noisy stove?

(Seems to be the stove, rather than the vitreous pipe/attaments etc..)

Kryton57

£5 posted, paypal gift ok?

martinhutch

If you surround it with tinfoil, it won’t be able to scan your brainwaves and report back to the Maybot.

alibongo001

I think this falls into the “they all do that Sir!” category!

Plates of iron bolted together are going to move slightly as the expand and contract, making the noise you describe. I don’t think there is much you can do except get it up to temp quickly and keep it there.

It does beg the question why were you recording yourself? Should I keep an eye out on BGT or X factor? 🙂

bearnecessities

Hey Alistair. It gets up to temp quick enough – I use greenheart for kindling. Funny how I never heard it in any showroom though – I’m tempted to think I must be doing something wrong.

Guess I’ll click live click with click it click.

thecaptain
    Free Member

My old cast one didn’t, perhaps because it was hugely heavy, didn’t always burn that well and so only changed temperature gradually. New sheet iron one responds much more rapidly and clicks a lot.

jonnyboi

Yes they tick a lot, ours also makes a nice hissing noise just before the CH pump kicks in, plus a ‘whee’ noise when the air wash control is pushed right in

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Ours ticks, pops, clangs as it warms and cools.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

The Villager at my folk’s house does that.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Mine does: I assume it’s the different expansion/contraction of the steel and the firebrick (which isn’t brick).

richmars

You could rebuild it using something like Invar, which has a much lower expansion compered to steel.
    (That may be a bit expensive.)

Junkyard
    Free Member

no

then again i have an expensive cast one[ £1,5 k new currently] – that was cheap [ just over £100] second hand on ebay and is about 25 years old when i got it
    Its entirely silent at all times unless its windy as out but that is not its fault and i could fit a damper if i really cared.

bearnecessities

Mine’s an expensive cast one 🙁

doris5000

mine never did for the first year, but it does now. More of a ‘creeeeeee-eeeeekkkkkk k k k k k k k’ after you’ve had the door open to put a new log on it. Getting used to it now.

Edukator
    Free Member

Stove silent, flue pipe clicks and clunks on cool down. Just the section from stove to ceiling expands by about a cm as it warms up.

Junkyard
    Free Member

most likely source is where the flue meets the stove

PePPeR

Mines silent, but the water pipes creak once the water starts going round.

The water jacket probably helps with sound deadening.

neilnevill
    Free Member

Mine (steel) clicks, my parent’s (cast) and brother and SIL’s too. Think much of mine is the flue pipe connection.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Does your stove click?’ is closed to new replies.