Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Does your LBS take Sundays off?
  • stevious

I used to live in Edinburgh, and there was never a shortage of bike shops to pick up last minute bits on a Sunday, so I was surprised to find upon moving up to Inverness that only mega-chain Alpine Bikes stays open.

Now, I certainly don’t begrudge folk taking time off (it would be hypocritical coming from a teacher) but I’m certainly curious as to whether it’s a Highlands thing, or if it’s country-wide.

So, quick straw poll – does your LBS close on Sunday, and where are you?

5thElefant
    Free Member

It’s never occurred to me that they might be open so I’ve never tried.

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

some of the small independent shops do. my mates shop is closed on sundays except near xmas time

stevious

And whereabouts is that? City-ish or rural-ish?

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

that is in croydon and sutton. just out side london. pearsons in sutton is on the “high street”

big_scot_nanny

typical response to question to any store here in CH, but also specifically LBS:

me: “are you guys here every day so i can swing past and buy the bits I need?”

lbs (Herzog Binningen fyi): “yes of course, we are here EVERY day!… but on Saturdays we close at 12, and of course on Sundays and Mondays we are closed, oh and every day between 12 and 2pm”

me: “rrrriiiiighhht”

Kev

jedi

my lbs chain (marshalls cycles) are closed . the managers of all 3 shops ride with me at herts sundays 🙂

Twin
    Free Member

My LBS (PSCycles in Cwmcarn) is open all weekend but shuts on Tuesdays. Makes sense, Don’t think Cwmcarn is mad busy on Tuesdays.

anto164
    Free Member

All the ones i’ve been to are closed on sundays.

I know of two that is open on a sunday, and i may pop in and have a look at long sleeve roady jerseys today after yesterdays minging weather.

mountainmincer
    Free Member

Nope – mine is open 7 days a week, only shut for 2 or 3 days over Christmas / new year as well!

z1ppy

Nah all closed, city centre one used to open but eventually stopped, as they just didn’t get the business to make it worthwhile – pity cause it was very convenient for me!

4ndyB
    Free Member

We’re closed on Sundays & bank holidays, as are all the bike shops locally, some even do a half day closed in the middle of the week

convert

Mine is situated at the foot of one of the road climbs in the area that roadies come to from miles away to climb – must be 70 or 80 pedal past the shop on a Sunday morning – but they are closed. Crying out for a bikers cafe/ pitstop addition. Also closed on Mondays and prompt shut at 5.30pm regardless of who is in and what they might be about to buy.

As a student I worked in a windsurf shop that also sold mountain bikes and snowboards. We were open 7 days a week inc Saturdays, Sundays and Thursday evenings. We stayed open until a deal was done and no one paid full ticket price on anything after their 2nd visit. Dave the owner made an exceedingly good living!

julianwilson
    Free Member

AFAIK only halfords open on sunday anywhere near me (Plymouth). Unless you count Big Peaks in Ashburton (much like convert’s: surf/outdoors/kayak/bike shop) but that’s a bit of a way on a mountain bike. Sundays is for riding though, isn’t it?

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

I’m somewhat comforted that my LBS closes on a sunday, It means that he at least has time to get out there and ride and keep it real and that

convert

I’m somewhat comforted that my LBS closes on a sunday, It means that he at least has time to get out there and ride and keep it real and that

Shop owners are allowed to employ people who can have days off on other days of the week (or to man it during the quiet days midweek so they can work the weekend). But that would rely on pulling in the business to justify employing others by opening when people with money in their pockets are free to spend it, which would mean employing someone, which would mean creating the business…..

It’s a great circular argument!

Rorschach
    Free Member

Sundays are usually a browsing day,plenty of footfall but little actual turnover or emergency panic buying-in which case you get accused of being rubbish for not having a 2004 Schwinn mech hanger in stock!
    If you pull weekday staff in it leaves you man down in the week (and someone ends up doing both weekend days-never popular) and if you get a part timer then theres no continuity or they’re just not very good (not unsuprisingly).

rp16v
    Free Member

good old bristol will always have atleast 2 shops open on sundays

stAn-BadBrainsMBC
    Free Member

Those that are near other shopsthat are openSundays are open(usually 10-4) but those on their own are closed.

Always thought a lot of shops were missing a trick by not been open late and at weekends. It can be anything from a pain in the @r$£ to nigh on impossible to get to a bike shop during working hours for some people. And been closed 12-2 for lunch has got to be commercial suicide.

I recently snapped a pedal axle on the way to work and was over the moon when the LBS was open before 8:30 so I was able to get some new pedals and carry on my way, and still not be late for work.

£0.02 of my own.

rp16v
    Free Member

to be fair that is one thing i dont understand evens in bristol is right on a buesy commute section aswell as sevral based on glos rd none of them open before 8am but what if you are one of the many unlucky ones to have problems i have seen/been and have to sit outside waiting for them to open making you late for work
    town needs someone with a van to park un on center at 7am with small selection of tools/spares/extras while there.
    hmm…..

Rorschach
    Free Member

Its not too much too ask is it?
    They just have to open 7am til 9pm, 7 days a week,hold every part known to man in stock,be cheaper than crc,not charge for repairs,never question warranty claims and treat every customer like their long lost brother.
    I can’t beleive no one is doing this,its not rocket science….DO THEY NOT WANT MY MONEY,I’M TRYING TO DO THEM A FAVOUR OUT OF THE GOODNESS OF MY HEART FFS??? 👿

rOcKeTdOg

they’ve gotta go ride sometime

TooTall
    Free Member

What – Evans and Halfords?

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

I close my shop on Sundays to spend time with my family and sneak a ride in if I can. Employing someone to open the shop on Sundays would cost as much over the course of a year as many people spend on their cars or annual holidays and in my location at least would be no guarantee of extra business. It’s also not that easy to find someone who is competent enough not to do the business more harm than good and willing to give up their Sundays in return for typical bike shop wages.

cheers_drive

TooTall – Member
    What – Evans and Halfords?

Bike is open Sundays.

stevious

Interesting to hear that Sunday closing is the norm – I guess I was a bit spoiled in Edinburgh!

monkeyboyjc

Evans and BikeUk are the only two open on a Sunday in Bristol that i know of (theres proberly more)- usefull for teh odd chain link, or inner tube prior to my sunday ride….

dogthomson

Been to both Fosters and J.E. James in Rotherham today no problem.

rp16v
    Free Member

i belive chaos in the market is open on sunday,bike uk,halfords,evans i think fred bakers is aswell so always somewhare to grab a danger tube.

gearfreak
    Free Member

Tried opening on a sunday, didn’t get many takers TBH, decided it made more sence to go riding, quite often with my customers and then start fresh on monday.

Wouldn’t want to force staff to work both Sat and Sun either as that’s a great way of screwing up the worklife balance which is part of the benefit of working in the bike trade.

As most people expect you to be closed they shop on Sat and ride on Sun.

rorymaclennan
    Free Member

I wouldn’t say Alpine Bikes is a mega chain.

All the shop in fort william are open on sundays in the spring/summer/autum

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Does your LBS take Sundays off?’ is closed to new replies.