Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Does your bike eat spares?????
  • enduro-aid
    Free Member

Having spent another stack of cash this week on parts, I'm curious if all bikes eat parts like mine does so heres a wee idea!!

List the make model and year of your bike and the Parts you have had to replace / sent for repair in the last 12 months….I'll start

Spesh Sworks Enduro – 04
    1 rear shock (replaced as cost of service was stupid)
    1 Chain
    1 Bottom Bracket
    2 sets of brake pads (hope mono mini's)
    1 hope hub (repaired not replaced)
    1 brake rotor

To me that seems quite a lot for a bike that doesnt really get destroyed, mostly trail centres and local woods

Daffy

Other than the shock, it seems aboot reet if you're predominantly using only the one bike.

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

Cant be bothered to list every repair for all my bikes but that rate of attrition seems pretty normal.

My old enduro needed a shock eyelet bush roughly every 8 weeks!

enduro-aid
    Free Member

yeah i only ride the enduro did have another bike but stripped it for parts to build one for the misses

the enduro does everything i ask it to do quite happily

ourmaninthenorth

Bl**dy hell, that's nothing. And I have 6 of the damned things to maintain (in fairness, the track bike requires zero maintenance as it's never ridden outdoors).

foxyrider
    Free Member

Chains and rear casettes mostly 🙂

LoCo
    Free Member

mines due it's late spring strip and inspection soon, don't want to think what that's going to cost me in parts, new drive chain for starters 😯

shortcut

That is about par for the course.

4 mountain bikes seem to be like women and have synchronised! Hope Hub bearings x4, drive train x3 etc. Complete nightmare.

I tend to reckon running 1 bike it would need 4 chains, 2 cassettes, 2 middle rings and 1 small ring per year. Jockey wheels, hab bearings and probably a full suspension service front and back! Then regular pad replacements and probably 1 or 2 sets of tyres each year. Possibly a wheel rebuild every 2 years. Annual Bottom bracket replacement etc.

yesiamtom
    Free Member

That seems quite a small list to me tbh. Ive done about 800 miles on my inbred singlespeed and have gone through –

1 x Chain annihilated
    1 x headset
    1 x cones and bearings PER wheel
    1 x freehub body
    1 x bottom bracket
    1 x carbon seatpost Woops!
    about 6 sets of brake pads, few still have a bit of life left though
    2 x hayes stroker rydes, just killed them….woops… 😆

Im not trying to brag, my bike is a cross country bike but i happily take it anywhere and everywhere riding some of the milder downhill sections and, what i think kills components, riding all through the winter without fail. Out in the mud and filth constantly wore through components in no time even with regular greasing.

ourmaninthenorth – track bikes (or in my case a fixie) are great huh? Mine has a periodic tightening of the chain and front brake. If its feeling lucky the chain might get rinsed in white spirit and relubed.

mrh86

at least its not just me either.

Since september:

New drivetrain (+1 extra chain)
    BB
    Rear wheel (destroyed a dt rim and hub needed servicing as well so just got a hope hoop)
    2x Tyres
    4 sets of pads

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Must be me

Chains – since going to using putoline chains are now lasting a couple of thousand miles, cassettes several. Brake pads last me thousands of miles, I do wear tyres tho.

Lets see – one chain and cassette on the tandem, one set of pads at the puffer on my solo. I think thats it this year with 50 – 100 miles ridden a week summer and winter.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

A typical bike-year for me is:

1 BB (bearings shot)
    1 Cassette
    2 chains
    4 sets of pads
    1 suspension service (shop)
    0.5 hydraulic brake service (shop)
    0.5 a wheel (either bearings shot or rim bent)
    1 set of pedals (bearings shot)
    1 set of tyres (worn or split)
    0.5 saddle (wear and tear)
    1 rear dérailleur + hanger
    1 set of shifter cables
    0.5 set of grips

Parts that have not failed or worn-out are:
    Rings
    Cranks
    Bar and stem
    Frame
    Front dérailleur
    QRs
    Headset

nickc

Rear hub bearings (to be fair it was the first time ever they'd been replaced in 5 or so years)

Front hub bearings (I had them laying around it was a year or so since last time, and one was just getting a bit wobbly)

A Cassette (built new wheel seemed a shame to stick an old cassette on that'd I'd be changing soon-ish anyway.

Chain. (as above)

Some brake pads

Forks just come back from service.

Cables (didn't really need changing, but had them spare so did it anyway.)

Old 540 pedals finally wore out (bearings) binned replaced with 520 I had in shed.

Think that's it

thomthumb
    Free Member

since january;

several tubes/ tyres
    hub bearings rear x 2 front x1
    hub pawls x2
    xt brake caliper
    6-8 pairs of disc pads
    1 seatpost
    1 SS chain
    4 pairs of canti pads
    chainrings/ chain/ cassette
    SPDs (bearings gone)
    cleats x 2
    1 rear mech
    3 bottom brackets
    1 pair of grips

think that's all.

trail_rat
    Free Member

do you lot ride on beaches and through knee deep rivers all day long ? or are we having a cock extension contest ?

Obi_Twa
    Free Member

Five words – mechanical sympathy is a skill.

hillsplease

No – not really – I think it depends where you ride and who you're chasing.

I have had a bit of a spate of seeing off bottom brackets, chainrings, discs, tyres, chains, cassettes, cables and finally my favourite saddle which is 6 yrs old. I also seem to be tearing tyres on the sidewall a lot.

Conversely my riding partner has seen off a bolt, a chainring, BB and a set of pads. That's it. We ride more or less the same place same time.

br
    Free Member

I don't even want to think about it, along with crash damage…

But anything mechanical ridden offroad in mud/dust etc costs.

trail_rat
    Free Member

In a season of endurance racing including – 10 utb , kirroughtree moray pairs, puffer lite pairs, relentless 24 strathpuffer 24 and the associated training ive replaced 4 sets of brake pads , a chain a cassette and an xtr mech.

Forks and wheels were repaired under warrenty due to manufacturing defects.

My commuting bikes done 1 years service of 25k a day on one set of v brake pads.

alot of it comes down to maintainance schedule i think and prioritising and also being able to identify a developing problem before its a major problem. No point having a sparkly clean bike with a manky drive train – better dirty bike sparkly drive train !

louis1978uk
    Free Member

chain 991 sram.
    cassette 970 sram BB hollowtech 2(slx standard).
    front hub.
    Gear cables.
    Brake fluid Organic pads
    (970 sram chain (snapped 2x times)
    Shock upper eyelet
    Fox rL120 destroyed (2010 team revelation u-turns filled the gap and then some.

yunki
    Free Member

oh dear… I ride twice or more per week… one bike 25+ off road miles per ride.. natural trails.. no big jumps or drops

1 set pads

some shonky riding ocurring surely?

samuri
    Free Member

lol. You guys should try being me.

Just as an example, I've worn out two frames already this year.

HTH.
    Stop complaining and accept you've got it easy.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Three BBs since Jan – sheesh! Buy a different brand?

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Does your bike eat spares?????’ is closed to new replies.