• This topic has 15 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by grum.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Does this tyre exist?
  • MadPierre

2.35 mud/wet/loose conditions
    UST
    26 inch
    NOT a wire bead DH tyre

I guess a Continental Baron would fit but they are like rocking horse poo…. so is there anything that exists that meets the criteria?

jameswilliams54
    Free Member

Bonty XR4 team 2.35 tr.
    Use them in the peaks strong and light, go up very easy.

chunkypaul
    Free Member

geax datura (but only in 2.2)

steve_b77
    Free Member

Spesh purgatory or clutch

Northwind

UST Baron was produced in small numbers then shelved, no new ones and no plans to make any more.

Specialized Butcher would come pretty close- it’s 2bliss rather than UST, and not as good in the wet as the Baron but then hardly anything is.

chiefgrooveguru

Not only is the standard Baron amazingly grippy yet amazingly leaky, it’s also conspired to delete the lengthy post I just wrote about it, which makes it even more annoying. A tubeless ready (to Specialized/Bontrager standards) or UST version would be the best front tyre ever for my winter riding. The Butcher Control is less amazing but much less annoying too, a very very good tyre indeed.

I’m hoping the Magic Mary is as good as it looks it might be…

Northwind

Magic Mary is much lower profile than it looks in photos… Not going to write it off but I don’t think it’s going to be The One (also, it’ll probably have the lifespan of a mayfly like all sticky schwalbes)

I horsed half a tub of glitter into each of my Barons and now they stay up perfectly. Sidewalls still feel like sausage skins but yet to cut one.

MadPierre

Cheers for some ideas. Hmmm…? I’ve just spent half an hour failing to get a “tubeless ready” tyre up so am not currently keen on anything other than proper UST. The Geax sound interesting and there’s some on the classifieds…

rollindoughnut
    Free Member

Bonty xr4 get’s my vote. I regard their tubeless ready tires as the definitive zero hassle tubless inflation experience.

bigjim

Baron amazingly grippy yet amazingly leaky

Mine sealed up a treat, didn’t think it would after reading bad stories on here and seeing how much it fizzed when I put it up with just soapy water. Sealed straight away with sealant and no weeping or anything. This is the Apex version which seems to be the only version. amazing tyre!

superfli
    Free Member

Not ust, but OK tubeless:
    Panaracer CG soft conditions
    I find the geax too aggressive and needs proper mud to grip, also most mud tyres are too skinny and not great on harder chalk or roots (where I live). The CG is nice and wide and can still grip in mud. Carcass isnt the toughest though.

chiefgrooveguru

I’ve just spent half an hour failing to get a “tubeless ready” tyre up so am not currently keen on anything other than proper UST.

If be surprised if any UST tyres go up easier than the 2bliss Butcher! Specialized and Bontrager tubeless ready tyres are really really good – even hold pressure for days if you haven’t put the sealant in yet. Why all the fancy brands can’t manage that with their tubeless ready tyres I do not know!

Northwind

Mad Pierre – Member

I’ve just spent half an hour failing to get a “tubeless ready” tyre up so am not currently keen on anything other than proper UST.

There’s as much variation in UST as there is in TLR, or so I’ve found… Had some USTs that put up a terrible fight and some TLRs as well, neither’s a guarantee of an easy life.

MadPierre

I’ve never struggled getting any UST up with just a track pump and I’ve had plenty of different tyres in a dozen years of UST use. Can’t say the same for tubeless ready hence my bias.

Northwind

My UST Minion was an absolute ****. Ironically, I replaced it with a non-UST Highroller which went up first time. Not even tubeless ready

grum
    Free Member

Specialized tires are really easy to set up tubeless IME. Track pump only here.

Happy with my Butcher Control.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Does this tyre exist?’ is closed to new replies.