Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Does this roadbike exist?
  • mcnultycop

I’m thinking of a new roadbike. I’m a big lad (115kg, lard and muscle as I used to train power lifting) but on the way down (or was until I broke my elbow on the MTB and haven’t been able to train).

I’ve got a Felt Z95 Sora, which was my first ever road bike. It’s a great bike, but I’m beginning to want a new roadbike. I’m an MTBer mainly, so whilst I’m willing to spend a few quid on a roadie,I don’t want to spend silly money. My Felt has a 50-34 compact and an 11-32 cassette, and whilst I’m getting fitter I do sometimes need the bailout gear of 34-32 on steep climbs at the end of longer rides. The Felt was bought direct and the sizing felt good (having never ridden a road bike previously) however I hired an Orbea in Barcelona a few months ago and it had a longer top tube and shorter head tube and felt slightly more comfortable.

I hate the brakes on the Felt, I really want hydraulic discs as I’ve had a few hairy moments on long/steep descents, particularly given my weight.

So, my requirements:

From a shop, all my bikes are direct sales currently but I want a proper fit on this one.
    Compact 50-34
    30 or 32 tooth cassette
    Alloy frame, carbon fork
    Hydraulic disc brakes
    At least the space for a 25c tyre, preferably a 28
    Ideally less than about £1200, could push the budget,Mobutu the cheaper the better.

Other than the gearing I appear to have described a cyclocross bike, but I want a proper road bike. I’ve got a sprint tri I’m training for, so this will be the only road bike I have and will be used for the tri too.

Does this bike exist? Suggestions would be appreciated. I’m in Oldham, but will travel for the right bike at the right shop,

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

Whyte Suffolk?

nodrog2
    Free Member

As above, sounds like you want a Whyte.

Ticks the boxes:

http://whyte.bike/gb/models/commuterroad/rd-7-road-disc/suffolk/

butcher

Should be plenty of bikes around like that. OK, maybe not loads….not yet. But a good few. Only thing you might struggle with is the cassette. 28 is usually the max on a road bike, but that can easily be fixed for not too much money.

mickolas
    Free Member

Don’t worry about the cassette – that’s easy enough to change and most rear mechs up to 105 level (I’m guessing you won’t be getting ultegra at this price) will handle a 30T.

Also, just my point of view – mechanical discs are excellent, and speccing them opens up more options.

ianfitz
    Free Member

Just for reference I’m running a 11-34 with a 105 medium cage rear mech. It works perfectly…

mcnultycop

That Whyte looks like just the thing. I’ll try and find one to throw a leg over.

I just like hydro brakes, I’m familiar with them and trust them. I’m not hung up on the cassette, I try to stay in the second largest sprocket on the current bike and only use the 32 if I’m really desperate. If it wasn’t there, I’d just have to not rely on it!

nickb

This is some way beyond your budget (at £1733), but looks like a great option with Ultregra kit and proper hydraulic discs:
    http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/bike/rose-xeon-dx-3000-756067/aid:756069

Otherwise, if you want full hydraulic brakes – despite you saying you don’t actually want a CX bike – I’d be tempted to look at the CX bikes from Rose, Canyon and Cube (all about £1300-1400, all with ultegra kit) and put some skinny tyres on it. I’m currently looking at these:

Cube Cross Race Disc Pro
    http://www.cube.eu/uk/bikes/road-race/cross-race/cube-cross-race-disc-pro-rednblack-2015/

Canyon Inflight AL 9.0
    http://www.canyon.com/_en/roadbikes/bike.html?b=3620#tab-reiter3

Rose Pro DX Cross 3000
    http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/bike/rose-pro-dx-cross-3000-hydraulic/aid:770985?bikevariantchanged=770985

Nick

mcnultycop

Nick – I want to buy from a shop this time, so Rose and Canyon aren’t on my radar this time (I’ve got a Canyon MTB and love it, just want to try it first this time).

oli31
    Free Member

Whyte Dorset (and old Felt F80) owner here and can highly recommend, nice comfy bike with sensible gearing and excellent brakes. I really like the wide, compact drops and the bike feels right with barely any fettling.

mcnultycop

I didn’t realise the brakes on the Whyte were not “full” hydraulic. I may have to push the budget to Ultegra…

drovercycles
    Free Member

A Genesis Equilibrium Disc sounds almost like the bike you want – steel not alloy (with carbon fork now) though.

RRD
    Free Member

Cannondale Synapse Alloy?

One version of it comes with disc brakes (probably cable – from memory). I think (?) as I’ve been looking at the bike for my first foray into the roadie world.

ampthill

I think Evans do a pinnacle road bike with discs. Although I don’t know that they are full hydraulic

I think the trickey thing might be getting anything that’s not a bit long in the head tube and short in the to tube. Most of the disc bikes I’ve looked at seem to be”Sportif geometry”. Often very similar geometry to a cx bike in terms of position.

It would be work asking about whether a rim braked road bike with better calipers would work for you. It seems to be something that really improves as you move up the group sets

hammyuk
    Free Member

Not looked at the Planet-X range?
    Massive discounts right now too.

mcnultycop

The London road ticks all the boxes, I think, other than cable brakes rather than hydraulics. I may pop over there in the next week or so.

simon_g

I think Evans do a pinnacle road bike with discs. Although I don’t know that they are full hydraulic

Arkose Four gets the Shimano RS685 hydraulic brakes and 11-speed 105 (32T cassette too) for £1250.

Arkose Five is £1450 and much the same but SRAM Force and 1×11.

Xylene
    Free Member

Eastway make nice bikes I have a chat 2.0 and with only a bit less than you.

mcnultycop

That Pinnacle looks ace, Ill get down to Evans.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Does this roadbike exist?’ is closed to new replies.