Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Does this need replacing (road tyre content)
  • defydude
    Free Member

Just noticed this gouge on my rear Michelin Race Pro. Not had any punctures or tyre bulging, but wondering if it’s time to replace them or whether they will be ok just to get through the winter? Tyres have 2500-3000 miles on them for the record.

Pics:

STATO
    Free Member

It should be fine, ive had worse last longer. If your concerned put a patch on the inside.

mboy
    Free Member

“Snap”, same bike as you FWIW… Giant Defy 2, great bike 😀

JoB
    Free Member

that split should be ok but the crackling of the tyre to the sides suggests they’re past their best

andrewh
    Free Member

Agree with Stato, patch inside if unsure but I’ve got worse and OK so far.

mugsys_m8

Should be ok for general use but I’d replace if planning a big ride or an event etc. I use superglue to infill holes like that. Works like a dream, but the tyre is on its way out, but you could prolong its life.

Cheers. Have a nice morning.

wingnuts

If you need to patch the inside I’d not bother because the structural integrity of the tyre is compromised. Does look on the large size and winter is when you need good tyres. Buggering about on the verge in the rain and frost is not on my list of favorite things.

I’ve used and recomend the superglue solution. Apply when the tyre is at proper pressure, or close to it. This prevents it cracking when you pump it up again. Then use sandpaper to make sure you have smooth service and no bumps.

And have a nice morning 🙂

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

What Stato said plus fill the split up with superglue.

defydude
    Free Member

Thanks for all the replies. Did hear about the superglue method, but wondered if it might be a bit harsh and react with the rubber?

stratobiker
    Free Member

Yes, replace it, why risk your neck on it?
    You’ve had good miles out of it.

SB

colande
    Free Member

i’m with stratobiker here,
    if you’re unsure and you’re the one riding it, i’d replace it.

samuri
    Free Member

I’d stick a patch on the inside of that and carry on but as Jo says, the sidewall looks a bit dodgy. 3000 miles is quite good for a road bike tyre. You might want to take the hit and get a new one.

defydude
    Free Member

@Stratobike/Colande

I do have some new tyres winging their way to me from CRC (direct replacements for £44 which was nice), it was just this is my first road bike and experience of road tyres, so didn’t know if this was just one of those things that happens when riding on the road and is purely cosmetic as long as the casing/tyre isn’t compromised.

Looking like i will be fitting new tyres this weekend, though 😉

winterfold
    Free Member

theyre borked – its the cracking more than the gouge.

youve had very good miles so no worries

why are you using race tyres through the Winter? They are designed to grip and go fast not do tons of winter miles.

get some lithions or krylions for the Winter and save your nice tyres and a few quid

defydude
    Free Member

why are you using race tyres through the Winter?

Because I am a newb who knows no better (honest answer).

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

Its the perishing that means the tyre is no good anymore. the hole is fine, you could just fill it with superglue, when the tyre is deflated and it’ll be fine for many more miles.

Michelin race tyres are fine all year round btw

defydude
    Free Member

Michelin race tyres are fine all year round btw

Well I have bought them now, so they are going on. Even so, that’s good to hear 😀

njee20
    Free Member

And cheap winter tyres are **** horrible! Solid compounds may not wear out, but they don’t grip either! I had some Hutchinsons which I could spin in the saddle on a wet climb, scary on icy roads too. GP 4Seasons work for me, had at least 4000 miles out of the rear, it’s a bit flat on top, but otherwise fine.

You’re right to replace though.

johnners
    Free Member

Well I have bought them now, so they are going on

That’s pretty much my motto for life!

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Does this need replacing (road tyre content)’ is closed to new replies.