Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Does this jacket exist…?
  • mrjmt
    Free Member

I’m looking for a jacket that is…
    Waterproof
    Goretex or just as breathable
    With thumb loops (the most important criteria)
    Slim cut with a drop back

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Pearl Izumi PRO softshell may be what you’re looking for.

steel4real
    Free Member

I think you can have all that EXCEPT the thumb loops !

Alternatively I figure you’ve already found jackets with thumb loops and none of them meet all the other requirements ?

sandwicheater

Scissors?

johnny63
    bellefied
    Free Member

mrjmt – Member

I’m looking for a jacket that is…
    Waterproof
    Goretex or just as breathable With thumb loops (the most important criteria)
    Slim cut with a drop back
    this is not really true – goretex is not breathable, or at least it doesn’t breathe as quickly as you can produce sweat when working hard so it becomes as wet inside as it is outside (assuming its raining).

If you’re not working hard then goretex will do.

I’ve just started using neoshell and it is by a long margin the best breathable waterproof I’ve ever used. Trouble is there aren’t that many jackets available in the new fabric.

Sugoi does a bike specific one, but there has been criticism of its cut.

Rab does a neo stretch jacket which is too bulky (in my opinion), they do a new lighter one called the Myriad, which might be good but I haven’t tried it (I don’t get on with the rab hood).

I’ve got a marmot zion jacket that is best suited for the winter, so trying to get the marmot nabu which is supposed to be lighter.

Montane have released the further faster jacket, which is built from neoshell and is specifically designed for fast moving activities, such as mountain marathons or trail running, but not sure whether the cut would suit biking.

nickwatson
    Free Member

In my experience, you cannot get good breathability and fully waterproof. I tend to wear a lighweight wind protector until it gets really cold, then just accept that you’ll get sweaty (and warm) with a waterproof jacket.

spando
    Free Member

inov8 raceshell

Not Gore TeX but very very light.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Why thumbloops? Hardshell or softshell? I don’t think i’ve ever seen a hardshell jacket with them and only a couple of softshells are seam taped so truly waterproof.

I’ve just started using an Endura Flyte. I’m tall, thin, with long arms and few things fit me properly but this is an exception – sleeves are actually long enough when riding and body’s not too baggy. No pointless features (minimal pockets) and breathability seems pretty good.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

double post

mrjmt
    Free Member

Current soft shell has thumb loops, my winter gloves all have quite large cuffs and the thumb loops keep the cuff of the jacket down. It’s very annoying when the jacket cuff comes above the glove cuff and you get a cold bit!
    Thumb loops solve the problem, Velcro cuffs never seem to work 100% as I’ve got very thin wrists.

z1ppy

In my experience, you cannot get good breathability and fully waterproof

Which is why I prefer (will only now buy) jacket’s with pitzips. My preferred winter jacket is a chip as chips decathlon walking softshell with pitzips, not in the least breathable. Much better than my (3 times) expensive eVent waterproof, bought when I couldn’t locate one with pitzips.

hot_fiat

If you have your jacket above your gloves, when it rains, does the water not run down your jacket and straight into your nice warm dry winter gloves?

mrjmt
    Free Member

No, jacket over gloves as in gloves inside jacket.
    Its when the sleeve rides up and come off the glove that you get cold (and wet hands).

BadlyWiredDog

I’d simply add a couple of simple elastic thumb loops to the cuffs of your jacket, that way you get a much wider choice of garments – very few waterproof jackets have thumb-loops, Haglöfs Gram jacket is the only one I can think of offhand. It’s a bit of a Marmite feature, so not many brands bother.

hot_fiat

Ah, you might need to look at ski gear shell jackets then. Quite a few of the American brands have inner cuffs made of lycra with thumb loops to keep wrists warm (actually there to keep powder out). The outer cuff is big enough to go over gloves. I’ve seen this on stuff from K2, TNF and Westbeach. Rare as hen’s teeth though: Waterproof, no insulation, cuff gaskets, presumably removable hood, cut suitable for cycling.

Alternatively could you cut down some arm warmers and use a normal jacket?

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Again if hardshell worth a look at the Endura Venturi I know it has removable ‘inner cuffs’ but can’t remember if they have thumbloops. Really tough jacket but I thought too bulky (given waterproofs spend more time stuffed in a camelbak than they do being worn.)

molgrips
    Free Member

Goretex is not the best, it has the best marketing and legal dept.

eVent is much better for cyclists as it contins tiny holes, which means it’s way more breathable in humid conditions, and also slightly less wind-resistant which cools down hot cyclists but still fends off the weather.

Endura use their own fabric called PTFE I think which is allegedly even more breathable.

I can’t imagine using a jacket over gloves though. You’re biking not going into space ffs.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

I can’t imagine using a jacket over gloves though. You’re biking not going into space ffs

Not much point having waterproof gloves if your jacket pours water off the sleeves into them.

stever
    Free Member

I can think of a few times when it’s been important to get your jacket and gloves and stuff absolutely right. I couldn’t give a toss about gear most of the time but in properly wild conditions it’s critical.

bellefied
    Free Member

here’s an outdoors magic review of the further faster jacket – I know Jon goes biking and he seems to think it will work for this

http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/gear-blog/future-stuff—montane-further-faster-scoop/10815.html

doesn’t have loops but as BadlyWiredDog says, you can sew elastic loops in easily enough.

crikey
    Free Member

Endura use their own fabric called PTFE

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polytetrafluoroethylene

PTFE is just the stuff; it’s the same as plumbers tape. I suspect Endura are using it to describe a treatment that their fabric has undergone.

molgrips
    Free Member

Not much point having waterproof gloves if your jacket pours water off the sleeves into them

Don’t wear waterproof gloves then? Sometimes trying to stay dry is the worst thing you can do – staying warm is far easier.

Having said that, I’ve never had water run down my sleeves into my gloves, but we’re all different.

PTFE is just the stuff; it’s the same as plumbers tape. I suspect Endura are using it to describe a treatment that their fabric has undergone

It’s non-stick and plumber’s tape yes, but it’s a plastic. I suspect their membrane is made from it, it’s what they call the jackets anyway.

crikey
    Free Member

Ah, yes, you’re right, apologies.

MarkLG
    Free Member

I’ve got the Haglofs Endo in one of the links above, although it’s the pullover rather than the jacket version.
    The sleeve openings aren’t adjustable and are big enough to go over a glove, so it won’t really do what you’re looking for.
    Having said that it’s a fantastic bit of kit. GoreTex Active is a lot more breathable than conventional GoreTex – I’ve got a Paclite shell which far too sweaty for biking in. If I’m wearing the Active one then most of the time I don’t even notice I’m wearing a waterproof. I went running in the rain for an hour on Monday with it fully zipped up and the hood up for most of the time and it was fine.

matt_outandabout

Haglofs Endo
    Patagonia M10 (I think it was…)
    Salomon did one, don’t know the model.

molgrips
    Free Member

crikey – Member

Ah, yes, you’re right, apologies.

Print.. frame… wall…

mojo5pro
    Free Member

If you work hard and sweat, then even with no top on you’re skin is wet..fact. So how can any material remove moisture away from the body so you remain dry whilst sweating 😯

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Does this jacket exist…?’ is closed to new replies.