Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Does this HT frame actually exist?
  • rOcKeTdOg

Threaded BB, relatively slack head angle, short chainstays, long top tube, 29er, 135mm rear spacing, potentially 27.5+ friendly, ride all day comfort, doesn’t weigh a ton & costs < £400

wwaswas

Titus Fireline?

breadcrumb

I was wondering along the same lines this morning. (Steel would nice purely from an aesthetic point of view).

I’ll watch this thread..

rOcKeTdOg

Steel usually means overly heavy at less than £400 notes though

thomasthetankengine
    Free Member

Honzo?

breadcrumb

Fair point, what do you class as overly heavy?

superstu
    Free Member

Parkwood

Unsure if 27+ friendly. Great frame though IMHO, 4lbs cheap as chips etc

OCB
    Free Member

Nothing from Genesis?

Mole
    Free Member

All day comfort and honzo doesn’t sound right to me,fireline fits the bill except the sub £400 bit unless 2nd hand.

sillyoldman

New High Latitude is really lovely, but only available as a complete bike.

poah
    Free Member

shame you need a 135 spacing or the trans-am 29 would have done. what wheels have you got?

Clink

Requirements are going to rule out steel at that price. You want a Whyte 929 – but they only made about 3 then stopped making them (yes I’m bitter).
    Canfield YS? (Pre 2016 is qr rear)

jameso

Pinnacle Ramin B+ will do all that, when it arrives. SS-able or BB height adjust with an EBB.

superstu
    Free Member

fireline fits the bill except the sub £400 bit unless 2nd hand

Parkwood is based on same geometry as fire line iirc

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Steel usually means overly heavy at less than £400 notes though

from something i read earlier

In defense of Surly

2: Surly refuses to play the weight weenie game. Yes, a Surly frame is a pound or two heavier than a high end steel frame. It’s at least 2-3 pounds heavier than an aluminum or carbon frame, usually. So what? The weight weenie game is stupid. You weigh 180 pounds, if you’re a typical customer of mine. Your bike is at least another 20. So at most, that extra 2 pounds (900 grams! Gasp!) might slow you down by a little under 1% on a very steep hillclimb. On flat stuff or downhills, which is what most of us care about more, it doesn’t matter at all. Your Surly almost certainly won’t break, and you can probably attach all kinds of stuff to it and use it for all sorts of neat purposes outside of just mountain biking.

superstu
    Free Member

Trek stache (not the fancy new one with elevated chainstay) would also fit the bill, but you’ll be looking second hand.

Edit: think it’s 142 rear actually

rOcKeTdOg

Honzo?

BB92 unfortunately

mboy
    Free Member

Ironically my recent new HT purchasing requirements were very similar to yours RD. Although I’d have preferred 142×12, it’s not a deal breaker, and I wasn’t fussed about 27.5+ (though it does fit, I’ve tried it), I bought a…

Whyte 629

Annoyingly it’s not available as a frame only, but it’s a cracker of a frame. The geometry charts are, if anything, a little conservative, as with a 110mm Reba in place of the 100mm Recon mine has a measured HA of 67 degrees. Very long ETT for its size means nice short stems, low (threaded BB) height, 440mm stays aren’t super short but they’re short enough, and the bare frame is under 2kg in a medium size. Add in plenty of tyre clearance with normal 29er tyres, a 30.9 seat tube etc. and jobs a goodun. Only issue is that it’s not available frame only!

honourablegeorge

Last Fast Forward?

Threaded BB – CHECK
    relatively slack head angle – er….64°
    short chainstays 426mm
    long top tube CHECK – 425 reach in medium
    29er CHECK
    135mm rear spacing CHECK
    potentially 27.5+ friendly Fits 3.0 tyres in 27.5
    ride all day comfort springy steel
    doesn’t weigh a ton – medium is 2,6 kg
    costs < £400 – 549 Euro which comes to £387.69

dirtyrider
    Free Member

thats great looking bike

mccraque

It’s £100 more but I’m hovering over the buy button on a Cotic Solaris – checks all of the above.

fenred
    Free Member

Just bought one of these, Will be building it up tomorrow time permitting, I know it’ll be perfect (for me anyway) as I have the SS/alfine frame version….which is going up for sale shortly 😉

Not sure about the 650b+ thing tho.

http://www.rutlandcycling.com/317630/products/2015-genesis-high-latitude-29-hardtail-mountain-bike-frame—green.aspx?origin=pla&kwd=&currency=GBP&gclid=CJSr4OHdkMkCFQQTwwod9_QHTQ

Clink

That Last looks great and keeps getting posted up. BUT it is designed around a different offset rear wheel (as far as I’m aware) which is a PITA.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

surely only a pain if you are switching wheels between frames?

honourablegeorge

Clink – Member
    That Last looks great and keeps getting posted up. BUT it is designed around a different offset rear wheel (as far as I’m aware) which is a PITA.

Yeah, I’ve posted it a bit… I’m quite excited/impatient.

The offset is an annoyance, but for the price (I got mine in the Kickstarter deal) it’s one I’m happy to put up with, it’s just a quick dish of the wheel.

nwill1
    Free Member

Stanton Sherpa, again over budget but they do come up second hand lightly used for £350/£400

chakaping
    Free Member

I was also going to suggest a secondhand Sherpa, or just digging deeper for a new one.

zigzag69
    Free Member

2nd hand Singular Buzzard possibly?

Clink

2nd hand Singular Buzzard possibly

Heavy, short top tube though

coffeeking
    Free Member

Dirtyrider – yep, from an energy in/out point of view a heavier frame makes sod all difference until you take into account feel. A heavy frame makes a bike feel slower, react slower, and when not just riding along (some folk can get wheels off the ground I hear!) then the mass of the frame can significantly affect the way the bike feels. This might be subjective, but a) humans are influenced by psychology b) if weight were not an issue, there would be no market to propel lighter frames to the top.

z1ppy

dirtyrider – Member

thats great looking bike

Personally I’m not at all enamoured, the seat tube angle, just looks bizarre. Would be interested to try one though.
    Other than the main suspects listed above, the NukeProof Scout should be added to the list (might replace my 929) though it has a 142mm rear end & maybe a little more slack that the OP wants.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Personally I’m not at all enamoured

eye of the beholder and all that

This might be subjective, but a) humans are influenced by psychology b) if weight were not an issue, there would be no market to propel lighter frames to the top.

probably why i bought an Open 😆

boxelder

Solaris with 140mm forks. Dunno how slack you want, but still climbs well. SH mk1 fine with 650B+

mikertroid
    Free Member

Jameso,

Is the Iroko 142 or 148mm at the back?

poah
    Free Member

honourablegeorge – Member

Last Fast Forward?
    long top tube CHECK – 425 reach in medium

reach and top tube aren’t the same thing

rOcKeTdOg

Solaris with 140mm forks. Dunno how slack you want, but still climbs well. SH mk1 fine with 650B+

Probably what I’m heading for but Lrg frame 2nd hand seem rare. Which either means they are so great people hold on to them or they never sold any

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Does this HT frame actually exist?’ is closed to new replies.