Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Does this fork exist? (140mm, no travel adjust, 20mm axle, 2kg or less)
  • Stevelol
    Free Member

Hi guys

Looking for a different fork for my Evli Sovereign.

I currently have a 160mm 2-step air lyric. It’s lovely and stiff (that’s what she said) but rather heavy, and I would like to experience the bike with a 140mm fork (which it is designed around).

Things I need:

20mm axle
    140mm travel
    No travel adjust

I’ve been looking at the sektor but can’t find it in the above configuration. Unfortunately the Fox 32 isn’t available in a 20mm axle. I think the Revelation would be ace but they isn’t a solo air model unless I’ve missed it?

Would I be better finding an older pike and just sticking with that?

GW
    Free Member

yes, a reba.
    because no matter what the marketing says Sovys ride better with 100-120mm forks

Fortunateson09
    Free Member

I am also looking for this fork, also for my Sovereign. 140mm is definitely the magic number, and I agree that QR15 Fox 32s aren’t stiff enough.

Is there a Marzocchi fork with 20mm axle?

Stevelol
    Free Member

Yeah been looking at Marzocchi but they don’t have one at 150mm.

edit: they do the 55 at 140 but it’s a coil version so a bit of a boat anchor at 2.5kg.

sambob
    Free Member

Sektor Air?
    EDIT: failed to read the whole post. pretty sure I’ve seen a maxle 140mm Sektor, might be able to get a 150 spaced down if not.

scaredypants

maybe that BOS thing if you’re minted ?

Jim-bob
    Free Member

Magura Thors. Just ignore the travel adjust as the remote lever is another thing to clog up the bars. 20mm nice and stiff and light too.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Sektor Air – just stick one of the spacers in to reduce it by 10mm to 140mm

ash.addy
    Free Member

I’m also running a thor and find it great –

Just a thought shoot me down if you like what about a lefty fork???

Stevelol
    Free Member

I have some BOS Devilles on my other bike and yes, if I was rolling in it I’d be getting the 140s as the spec would be perfect!

That Magura Thor looks really good actually although I’m worried that the on the fly travel adjust stuff is just something to break and would affect the plushness of the fork. I also don’t understand how the compression damping is adjusted (‘Albert Select Plus’?!), need to read some reviews.

Thanks for the suggestions. The Sektor air lowered to 140 is probably going to be a winner as it’s so cheap too. It’s a shame there’s no high speed compression adjust though as I’m pretty heavy (14 stone) and like to ride the Sov hard.

si-wilson
    Free Member

Float 36 set to 120mm would be ideal on a sov.

DT78
    Free Member

What’s up with a pike? I’m using a 454 coil on my mmmbop and really like it. No idea of the weight but doesn’t feel that much more than my reba

Stevelol
    Free Member

Nothing really, in fact I was considering a pike when I was putting the Sovereign together, just figured they were pretty long in the tooth and there must be something better out.

Oh and thanks for the lefty suggestion but having 750mm wide bars on a steel hardtail is as trendy as I’d like to get thanks 😀

GW
    Free Member

What’s up with a pike? I’m using a 454 coil on my mmmbop and really like it. No idea of the weight but doesn’t feel that much more than my reba

😆
    it’s nearly 2lb heavier

james
    Free Member

“think the Revelation would be ace but they isn’t a solo air model unless I’ve missed it?”
    There is no solo air no, though I don’t see the advantage of solo air over dual air?
    Dual-air is also fixed travel (Apart from with spacers internally as per solo air)
    Dual air has a +ve and -ve air chamber, but so does solo-air, its just that solo-air balances itself out and so only has one valve (+ve and -ve being independant in air pressure on dual air)

The other ‘obvious’ 20mm, 140mm, sub 2kg, fixed travel fork would be the manitou minute (also available in 120mm and others)

Xfusion/Society 140mm forks are 15mm IIRC, though really not sure

Stevelol
    Free Member

I’ve read a bit on the Magura Thor and it sounds really good, so going to keep an eye open for a s/hand one of those.

James I was under the impression that anything with travel adjust is generally heavier and not as plush as a dedicated fixed travel fork, is this a bit short sighted? I don’t really know much about the internals of forks.

Simon

I think the Revelation would be ace but they isn’t a solo air model unless I’ve missed it?

I think all 2012 Revelations are 15mm or QR only, no 20mm option anymore.

Stevelol
    Free Member

That doesn’t bother me too much as I’d probably hunt down a second hand model.

james
    Free Member

“was under the impression that anything with travel adjust is generally heavier and not as plush”
    I didn’t mention anything about travel adjust?

Dual-Air is fixed travel
    Dual-Air U-turn* is ‘anywhere in between’ travel adjust
    Dual-Position-Air** is ‘2-position’ travel adjust

*available on upto 2010 forks
    **came in on 2011 forks

Stevelol
    Free Member

Ah 🙂 Ace, I was just under the assumption that dual meant travel adjust 😀 Haha, I need to look at the Revelations again then…

kudos100
    Free Member

because no matter what the marketing says Sovys ride better with 100-120mm forks

Nope, 130-135.

@OP. Why not go for a adjustable fork? RS revelation allows you to mess around with the travel and find what works best for you.

james
    Free Member

re: looking for s/h Revelation’s

IIRC they made (w. 20mm Maxle):

2009 Dual-Air, 140mm as new*, over 2kg (pike lowers – IS mount)
    2009 Dual-Air U-turn 110-140mm, over 2kg (pike lowers – IS mount)
    Both available in 409 (allen key floodgate adj.) or 426 (tool-free F.G. adj.)

2010 Dual-Air, 150mm as new*, ~1750g?** (‘powerbulge’ lowers – post mount)
    2010 Dual-Air U-turn 120-150mm, ~1850g** (‘powerbulge’ lowers – post mount)
    Both available in SL (allen key FG adj.), Race (tool free FG adj.) or Team (Blackbox Motion Control – dual flow rebound/compression?) plus perhaps an XX and/or World cup*** model? don’t know

2011 Dual-Air, 150mm as new*, (‘powerbulge’ lowers – post mount)
    2011 Dual-Position-Air 120 or 150mm, (‘powerbulge’ lowers – post mount)
    Both available in RL (allen key FG adj., Dual-flow rebound), RLT (tool free FG adj., Dual-flow rebound), RLT Ti (Blackbox MoCo – dual flow rebound/compression), XX (hydraulic remote lockout lever), World Cup***, XX World Cup***

*internally adjustable lower
    **My 2010 Dual-Air U-turns are about 1850g, though on questionable kitchen scales ..
    ***World Cup/XX World Cup (w.carbon steerer/crown) might only have neen 15mm axle? Not sure

Stevelol
    Free Member

James thank you that’s a huge help, I was getting rather confused with the different R, RL, RLT models etc.

verticalclimber
    Free Member

yes just drop revelation team to 140mm

tomaso
    Free Member

These Pikes are 140mm and 2kg -I’m sure All Travel Adjust means that youy can adjust travel but only with internal spaces?
    Winstanley Pikes

tomaso
    Free Member

And these would do it too and be a few hundred grams lighter.Winstanleys Revs

ijs445ra
    Free Member

Stevelol,

I am just about to sell my 2010 Magura Thor, 20mm maxel, just back from a service and unused since, new lowers fitted and had the FCR upgraded to 2012 spec.

Used to run them on my Sov they are a fantastic fork.

E-mail in profile if you want more info

Cheers
    Iain

br
    Free Member

+1 Thor

Binned the adjust lever early on, works well – good and stiff.

1780g w/o axle

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve got sektor solo airs on my pitch, they’re great, just run them with a couple of clicks of compression to firm them up a bit.

If you don’t like them after a year just upgrade the internals with ither the Push gubbins form TF or the higher spec black box and dual flow stuff from Rock shox.

kane10255
    Free Member
    james
    Free Member

“and be a few hundred grams lighter.Winstanleys Revs”

Not the case. RS Revs are (almost?) always quoted for the QR dropout versions (1750g). 2009 20mm Revs used pike lowers making dual air or dual air U-turn both around 2kg. IIRC the nly thing making 2009 Rev 20mms lighter than pikes was the lightly lighter maxle lite axle and perhaps a slightly lighter CSU?

craigxxl
    Free Member

I had the Fox Float R140 on my Evil Sov and you really don’t want to go that route. The A2C length (about 52cm) is ideal but the flex like cooked spagehetti. I’m currently running Lyric 170 solo air dropped to 150mm and it’s a dream. A few mm longer A2C than the Fox 140s but with all the strength and great damping.
    I have the Rev Dual Position RLT Ti solo air on my FS and they are good fork too. Lighter than the Lyrik, feel pretty strong too just not as well damped. For the slight weight saving (350g) I haven’t felt the need to change swap them over.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Does this fork exist? (140mm, no travel adjust, 20mm axle, 2kg or less)’ is closed to new replies.