Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Does this exist? Trail pack question
  • kaysee

Hi All,

I’m fed up fiddling with bladders all the time, and would like to go back to bottles for most of my riding, but can’t seem to find the perfect replacement pack.

I’m a ‘hot’ rider, and would like to not have anything on my back. Ideally I’d like a hip pack (bum bag, fanny pack etc) with a bit of storage, must be at least a bit waterproof, with plenty of support. Must also fit a tube, tools, phone, mini pump and the usual stuff, although I tend to travel light.

I like the idea of the Camelback Delaney, but I don’t think it has quite enough storage space, and the pump might be an issue. If I can carry the pump, I won’t have to try and find the frame clips for it, and I can use one pump across all the bikes.

Is there anything else out there? Some of the wingnut packs look close, but I’d like to drop the bladder, and the shoulder straps look overcomplicated – just a waist strap will hopefully do the job.

Mackem

Probably need to look at running gear, something like this…

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/inov-8-race-elite-3-hydration-pack/

Plenty of little pumps around that’ll fit in these packs, I use a bumbag (without bottles) when I road ride, holds my pump/tool/repair kit no bother.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

seat pack with the tools and tube, pump on a frame clip, bottles on the frame. Jobs a good ‘un. this is how I ride most of the time

cinnamon_girl

I have exactly what you’re looking for! It’s been in the cupboard for at least 10 years, actually two Karrimor ones. Due to shoulder injury I can’t wear a backpack so these have come in really useful.

Have had a quick look at their website and doesn’t look as though they exist. However it might be worth checking Ebay.

One is called Karrimor Storm which is like a large waistbag with mesh for bottles either end.

The other one doesn’t have a name but is taller, I can get a small flask in it, map, sandwiches etc. It does hold a fair bit.

Can take some pics if it helps?

cinnamon_girl

This is similar to my Karrimor Storm:

http://www.ellis-brigham.com/rucksacks/osprey/292265/talon-8

molgrips
    Free Member

Can’t imagine why a bladder is more faff than two bottles, but anyway can’t you just remove the bladder from a camelbak? Camelbaks are excellent packs in general.

cinnamon_girl

He doesn’t want anything on his back!

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Salomon do some ace trail running ones that should suit you

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Try and get it all on your bike rather than a “bum bag”. I experimented with bum bags instead of rucsacs for a few rides. I found that they bounced around even more irritatingly than a rucsac, especially when full. Is it really that much of a problem finding frame clips for the pump for each bike? Failing that, have you discounted those packs with a bit of space between pack and back? Might be the answer for a hot rider.

kaysee

I used to ride with bottle and a bum bag for years and years and years, and prefer that to having it rattling on the bike. One thing I’m trying to do is have one single pack, rather than a separate saddle bag and pump on each bike – just grab it and run.

I find cleaning bottles much quicker than bladders. I keep bladders in the freezer, but I’d rather have the food space, to be honest.

The invo-8 jobby on Wiggle does look good. Maybe I’ll try one for a bit.

Cheers for the link CG – they look good, but I travel light, and I think smaller might be better to stop to much rattling around.

Cheers all!

PMK2060

I have a large Topeak saddlebag. This takes my pump, tube, repair kit, tools & lightweight waterproof jacket.

If i am only out for a couple of hours i don’t bother with a hydration pack and just take a bottle or two

TiRed

We have these Camelnack bottles

They empty from the bottom, so a squeeze releases the fluid much better than emptying from the top. Pop it in a bumbag, connect hose and you are done. You can probably use the existing hose and bite valve.

molgrips
    Free Member

You don’t need to keep bladders in the freezer any more than you do bottles. And they are a piece of piss to clean out with the right brush.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Does this exist? Trail pack question’ is closed to new replies.