Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Does this exist.. Small android based media / music player thats not a phone??
  • cloudnine
    Free Member

Want to buy our 7 year old daughter her own device.
    Ideally its small (like a phone but not a phone), cheapish (around £50).
    She has a tablet but just wanted something small and lightweight that can be used with spotify just for music.
    Does this device exist?

pablojm
    Free Member

A phone without a sim?

wwaswas

she’ll need wi-fi for spotify and ability to download app etc so a sim free phone is probably the easiest solution.

lovewookie

you could try to pick up an old samsung galaxy player?

nickc

Does this device exist?

no, it doesn’t. It’s about the only thing that I dislike about Spotify. As you can really ‘download’ tracks in the traditional sense, you need to be at least a premier user to allow off line listening, and a bit of kit that will support the spotify application, so ATM that’s a smart phone. Spotify are bringing out a “runner” version of their app, the headline of which is that it matches songs to your running speed, however I’m hoping that they’ll bring out a stand-alone more portable device alongside it…fingers crossed

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

On a related note, is there a ‘best’ phone for Spotify?

My S4 is OK, but a bit base heavy when plugged into the hi-fi.

There must be a better option than building a mini-pc with a top spec sound card.

lovewookie

Xperia is apparently Hi Def. not that I actually notice much difference between my FLAC and any other stuff.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member
    Gunz
    Free Member

There must be a better option than building a mini-pc with a top spec sound card.

I use the Gramofon, your phone or tablet just becomes the remote control and sound is definitely improved.

Order it direct from their site (will only let me link to Amazon at work), it’s about £40.

sam_underhill

I use the Gramofon, your phone or tablet just becomes the remote control and sound is definitely improved.

Order it direct from their site (will only let me link to Amazon at work), it’s about £40.

Chromecast audio. I’ve been using the old chromecast for a while. The new audio version (with a simple 3.5mm jack out) has enabled me to use my streaming app of choice on the kitchen hifi now. Brilliant.

Gunz
    Free Member

^^^^..and cheaper than the Gramofon I use, looks like the way to go.

sam_underhill

btw, I think that the free google music account lets you upload your own MP3s and then stream them using your devices. As the app also lets you save tracks for offline use, this could be a good solution on a sim-less phone.

mrjmt
    Free Member

Isn’t a Cowon z2 what you’re after?

midlifecrashes

It’s not Android, but a 4th gen ipod touch goes for about £50. It isn’t a phone and can run the Spotify app, along with various Whatsapp and skype type stuff which won’t run you up a phone bill.

jimdubleyou

There are adverts for a kids version of the Kindle Fire all over the Tube at the moment.

Might be worth a look even though it’s not proper android…

sharkbait
    Free Member

It’s not Android, but a 4th gen ipod touch goes for about £50.

I’ve just dug one of my daughters IPT out of the drawer (from where they’ve been lying since getting iphones 4s) – gave it a clean, charged it up, reset it and it’s now an excellent sonos remote. Shame about the cracked screen!

hammyuk
    Free Member

Spotify has an equaliser in its “Playback” settings

woody2000

OP – I’ve got an old HTC Wildfire at home not doing anything, yours for the cost of postage if you want it. It’s been rooted and running some kind of custom ROM (can’t remember which!), but it would work fine as a Spotify device without a SIM

nemesis
    Free Member

As suggested, I do this with an old phone with no sim. Also take it in the car for long trips.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Does this exist.. Small android based media / music player thats not a phone??’ is closed to new replies.