Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Does this even exist?
  • thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I need a new rear mech,

I want;

Medium or short cage,
    Rapid rise
    Not to have to use my rollamajig as its about to fall apart.

Does this exist? CRC and wiggle seem to be short of mech's in general let alone trying to find anything specific!

joolsburger
    Free Member

Nearest you'll get is an XTR from CRC

scaredypants

May be horribly wrong but

short (ss), only saint I think (and not RR unless the older one that bolts onto the axle – was this ss anyway ?)

gs – google shop for m770 (e.g. at JEJ) or m970

tails
    Free Member

road rear mech?

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I bought a Deore XT one off ebay, it's definitely a medium cage and if Rapid Rise defaults to the big chainring, then it's a rapid rise. Says RD-M760 on it (but I think it says that on all of them). It is the older styling (not shadow).
    Also, I thought SGS denoted long cage, so GS might be medium cage, but I'm not sure.

scaredypants

yeh B.A., sgs is long, gs is med and ss is short

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Rapid Rise medium cage? this is the one then

scaredypants

aye, that'd do

or this

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

But why dont they make a shadow version that? Surely i'm not the only person who likes Rapid rise mechs but doesn't like the cable routing?

bigyinn
    Free Member

Im pretty sure XT shadow rear mechs are all normal rise (top normal), not certain about XTR tho.

st

When shadow mechs were introduced I'm sure I remember there being some marketing spiel about RR being racer oriented whereas RR was for more burly rock infested gnar-core(tm)

cp

don't think any of the shadows have had rapid rise – shame as I like it.

DT78
    Free Member

I'd be looking at x9 personally. My GS XTR mech **** the chainstay all the time making a horrible noise…I don't have this trouble on the full suss which has sram.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

DT, I've got some SRAM X9 stuff in the spares box, but never fitted it as I get on with rapid rise too well and cant be bothered with having to re learn shifting the other way arround.

scaredypants

But why dont they make a shadow version that?

I don't see how they could really – on shadow mechs, all the mech body is "inside" the pivot, so to get a spring to pull inwards you'd have to have a big inward-pointing outrigger with the spring attached (IMImagination)

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

thisisnotaspoon – Member

But why dont they make a shadow version that? Surely i'm not the only person who likes Rapid rise mechs but doesn't like the cable routing?
    We found you what you asked for in your OP, then you're not satisfied and you shift the goal posts. you're just like my boss! 🙄 😉

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Medium or short cage,
    Rapid rise
    Not to have to use my rollamajig as its about to fall apart

Not fussed about the 'shadow' bit, just the bit that routes the cable in from the front rather than the back.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Does this even exist?’ is closed to new replies.