Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Does this email sound strange to anyone else?
  • Ishouldbeworking
    Free Member

So,I’ve had my car on/in autotrader for a week and a half or so with zero interest so far. I’m fairly confident its fairly priced its just not a car I would expect a lot of interest in. Anyway, yesterday I received the email below, while I’m loathed to miss an opportunity the email seems too strange to be real, though I’m not sure what the scam is if there is one. What do you think?

Cheers, Dave

“Message:
    Hello,

I’m interested in your A3. I am ready to pay your price if it’s is in good condition and HPI clear. I can come and inspect in a few days. I would like to do a HPI check and to see the V5 and the service log before I decide to go forward. For the HPI check I need the original plate number and the chassis number. Also please send some higher resolution pics (inside and outside).”

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

thats phishing mate. Chassis number comes up from the hpi etc.

I’d reply telling him to come view it and bring readies

Elmo
    Free Member

Possible ringing operation?

I’m sure i’ve HPI’d a car without the VIN number. That seems a strange request!

Moses

He wants to check that the chassis number you have matches the HPI check…sounds reasonable to me.

marsdenman
    Free Member

Assuming the enquiry is genuine and you want to move the sale on without giving everything away why not take piccies of the chassis number ‘on car’ and ‘on V5’, delete all but the last 4 digits (as they do with your card numbers on shop receipts) and send him that as a starter for 10?

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Sounds suspicious to me:
    1) Why would anyone not ring you to ask about condition, anyone else interested etc
    2) No-one with any sense would effectively offer to pay the asking price without seeing it and without knowing if there were others interested

Gingerbloke
    Free Member

Have you blanked out the reg plate on the photos? If you haven’t they will already have enough details to get a HPI done, this will then give them all the details for the car.

Sounds a little dubious, but I would want to see everything before commiting to buy.

DezB
    Free Member

Google is your friend. Identical message sent to Lancer seller: http://www.lancerregister.com/showthread.php?t=268577

Ishouldbeworking
    Free Member

Cheers DezB, looks like i’ll be ignoring the email then… anyone want to buy a car?

Cheers, Dave

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

AS k him to send you a picture of himself with a loaf of bread on his head, and a tin of baked beans in his left hand.

Then post the pic on here for us

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Does this email sound strange to anyone else?’ is closed to new replies.