Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Does this chainset exist?
  • mattsccm
    Free Member

I want a new double for the rough stuff bike.
    Tried 2 set ups. One uses a 42 outer and 32 middle ring off a triple set up. The other is a XO double that has a 42 where the middle should be a 28 in the granny position. 42 is great and I can live with either 28 or 32. Thing is the XO double is like most other modern MTB doubles. The chainset really isn’t more than a triple with the outer removed and a bit of tidying up of the ledge where an outer would sit. This means that the Q factor is whopping and more to the point unnecessarily wide. It also limited ring choice a bit. What I want is a proper double with a narrower Q factor.
    It can be done with a road chainset but the BCD’s don’t allow a small inner. 110mm has about 34 as a minimum. I could use an old 86mm Stronglight chainset but I want an external BB.
    So does anyone know of a double chainset that is not triple with the outer ring missing?

njee20
    Free Member

XX double, comes in two q-factors, 156mm and 166mm. Or XTR Race M985, which has a narrower q-factor than all the others.

Does anyone actually care about q-factor on MTBs though!? Particularly on a ‘big’ bike.

fuzzhead
    Free Member

e13 trs?

njee20
    Free Member

Q factor on the double is 168mm, which seems to be an issue.

neilwheel
    Free Member

It’s hard to fit big rings, fat tyres and chain stays without making the Q wider.

cookeaa

What’s the Q factor for a road triple?

njee20
    Free Member

152mm on Dura Ace 7803.

Only an option if you’ve got a 68mm BB.

garage-dweller

Try Middleburn. I have a vague recollection they released something that would fit the bill that featured in one of the CTC mags in a touring context. Think I have chucked the mag now.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Ta. Who said it would be on an MTB although I guess that what a lot of them are made for?
    My Pickenflick came with a X0 double but it would be nice to wind the Q factor in. Done the same on the X but that’s wide as well. Modern double, like my X0 look crap as well as is obvious that what’s happened is that the outer has been removed.
    The XX is the same.
    That really means its got the width of a triple.
    Now why do I always forget Middleburn.
    Road triples tend to have a big BCD unless I use an old Stronglight square taper.
    I do suspect I am a hiding to nothing here.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Does this chainset exist?’ is closed to new replies.