Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Does the landlord have to supply smoke alarms.?
  • neilsonwheels
    Free Member

As above really.

Thanks.

nickc

probably, but they’re not expensive if you want to fit some yourself

Stoner
    Free Member
    clwydrider
    Free Member

Most fire services give them away if you ask, well Merseyside and NWales do anyhow.

bruneep

yup phone your local station and arrange a home visit, you should get them fitted free

antigee

£7.33 for 2 of the battery only one from Screwfix

but i’d be a bit worried about potential for co poisoning if you’ve a gas boiler/ gas fires then should have a co alarm and they aren’t so cheap – if your landlord hasn’t fitted smoke alarms i’d also be worried about boiler maintenance

and how old are the electrics? – think wiring regs have meant mains wired smoke alarms with back up batteries have been compulsary in re-wires for 10years plus

bruneep

£7.33 for 2 of the battery only one from Screwfix

Why pay for them? we (Fire service) fit them free of charge, well you might have to put the kettle on 😉

Neilsonwheels your local Fire service
    or
    Home visit link

skidartist
    Free Member

If your landlord hasn’t fitted them then the chances are they’ve missed other duties as well – you should have a gas safety certificate from them and that should be tested and updated annually

bruneep

Not sure of the English regs but,If its not a HMO (home of multiple occupation) just a rented flat or house then the landlord doesn’t have to fit it is only a requirement and cannot be enforced. If it is a HMO then thats a different ball game get in touch with your local fire safety officer and they will tell you what’s what!

jahwomble
    Free Member

I dont know about landlords, butas clwydrider said, most fire services will supply and fit them for free if asked, Iknow many of the ones around here do anyway.

johnhoo
    Free Member

I was under the impression that at least one was required. I was certainly asked to provide one when my house first went on the rental market

Once fitted, however, (when) does it become the tenant’s responsibility to check the batteries & replace them when required??

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Does the landlord have to supply smoke alarms.?’ is closed to new replies.