• This topic has 9 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 15 years ago by GJP.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Does Tasmania have anything to recommend it over the winter?
  • no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

I moved here from the UK in November and really enjoyed the novelty of spending Nov/Dec/Jan/Feb under a balmy sunny summer, but now the days are getting shorter and colder and really I’m starting to wonder if it’s worth staying on here.

My contract is due to run until Nov ’09, but I dunno..? Should I stay or should I go? How to cope with austere grey leaden skys, a total lack of bridleways and drafty houses with no central heating.

kiwijohn

Where are you based? I’m in Hobart.
    The winters are very mild compared to the UK.

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Totally in Hobart also, dude..!

Yesterday’s grey coldness just reduced me to despair. Went for a darkside ride around the Mountain late yesterday evening, over to Margate and back and it practically felt like I was cycling thru Antarctica! Just miserable!

Perhaps I’m being a little melodramatic..

..but I keep thinking ‘it’s only gonna get colder and darker here from now on’. I’ve got nothing to compare it to I suppose? (having never lived here over the winter before). So I guess I’ll just have to just suck it and see? Statisically the climate here looks better on paper, I guess? But with days getting longer and warmer over the other side of the world, the grass is starting to look greener on the other side (as always)! Still, I guess I’d be unemployed if I went home, which would suck ass.. 😯

Where d’you ride kiwij?

saladdodger
    Free Member

you could try a canoe trip to NZ ➡

smogmonster

Keep me posted on this..Im (hopefully) moving to Tasmania next January, have a job nearly sorted at the RHH.

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

saladdodger –
    you could try a canoe trip to NZ

Someone already tried..http://www.theage.com.au/news/national/last-scenes/2007/02/25/1172338469233.html

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

kiwijohn

Personally, I like winter. Going through that tunnel of dark & cold to emerge stronger in the spring. Or something like that.
    It really ain’t that bad. A cold frosty morning is usually followed by a mild day. A grey wet spell isn’t that long.
    A pint of Cascade Special Stout at Knoppies on a friday night goes down a treat.
    Riding on the road will always bring you down, the mountain is always good on a cold wet night. I ride from Cyclingo every wednesday night year round.

molgrips
    Free Member

How can a Brit be complaining about a grey winter?

Oh wait, the answer’s in the question 🙂

GJP
    Free Member

Inbreeding? but I guess that could be an all year round activity 😆

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Does Tasmania have anything to recommend it over the winter?’ is closed to new replies.