Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Does strava stop when you do?
  • zippykona

Just had my first go on my commute to time myself up the hill.
    If it stops when I do I’m unhappy,if it counts from the moment you press go I’m a ride god.
    Also noticed that I rode a segment. This section is a real twisty bit of single track which most likely has an old dear walking her dog round the corner. People racing down there will not end well.
    Also it’s part of my ride home so I hope I don’t meet a hero on my way up.

jam-bo

Overall average is based on moving time I think.

Segments etc are based on total elapsed time.

chakaping
    Free Member

One go and you’re already moaning, maybe it’s not for you?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    D0NK

People racing down there will not end well.
    Also it’s part of my ride home so I hope I don’t meet a hero on my way up.

if it’s dangerous flag it, that’s what it’s there for.

But as to your question, what Jam Bo said.

zippykona

Wasn’t aware of the flag thing , that’s a good idea.
    Time wise, let’s just say there’s a lot of room for improvement!

robinlaidlaw
    Free Member

As above, yes, it pauses if you stop as far as the overall average and ride time are concerned but for segments it’s total elapsed time in the segment.

cookeaa

I think it pauses the clock if your speed drops bellow 1mph for junctions or lights etc… I think you can disable it though if you’re after a bit more “honesty”.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Depends if you’re using a garmin or smartphone. If you’re using a garmin turn auto pause off on the garmin, otherwise it seems to get a bit over enthusiastic and seems to miss a lot of distance out.

As for:

This section is a real twisty bit of single track which most likely has an old dear walking her dog round the corner. People racing down there will not end well.

People rode quickly down paths before Strva, and will continue to do so even if you flag it. Unless it’s got some blatant danger like a level crossing, right run junctions, or traffic lights.

deadkenny
    Free Member

If you mean auto pause, it does all that on the web site after you upload. It does it for anything whether tracked on their app, or with another phone app, Garmin etc. You don’t need to use auto pause yourself if you have the option on non Strava apps and devices.

Personally I don’t see why you’d want to pause it. Yes you may want to track moving only for overall time, but when it comes to Strava it’s all about segments. If you stopped during a segement to eat lunch and then finished the segment, it could be logged as doing it in 1 minute, when you actually took 1 hour. Thankfully Strava deal with this anyway, ignoring auto pauses in segments and working on entry and exit times, and yet counting the moving time total whether or not you have any pause function enabled.

That said there are some apps and devices which can confuse it with auto pause enabled and I’ve had old rides with impossible KOMs on climbs (2s climb, when it took me several minutes, because it auto paused due to slow speed or even pushing up). It’s just better then to disable auto pause.

zippykona

Spoon ,that’s true but we all know how the red mist descends. If someone new takes top spot on that segment I’m pretty sure the other bloke will try and get it back.
    The reason for me getting strava is that I’ve had a few cars pull out on me and rather than chasing total commute times I want to concentrate on the climbs. That way I can go put the red mist away and just exert myself somewhere more meaningful.
    Ps, 25th on the climb 😥
    Pps I know all this is really sad but it does make the commute more interesting.

warton
    Free Member

Spoon ,that’s true but we all know how the red mist descends. If someone new takes top spot on that segment I’m pretty sure the other bloke will try and get it back.

well done, you understand Strava.

That doesn’t mean you should flag a segment, because it’s donwhill and twisty.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Does strava stop when you do?’ is closed to new replies.