Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Does putting helicopter tape on a carbon frame affect the warrenty ?
  • flap_jack
    Free Member

As the title. I’m going to get, probably for the first time in my life, something modern. A Diverge. I want to protect it but does the glue in the tape affect the frame finish ? Could it reduce the integrity of the frame ? If not, do the manufacturers think it might ?

Thanks
    Jack

falkirk-mark

That’s one for the manufacturer I would think.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Any manufacturer would be clutching at straws if they tried that as one would reasonably expect a bicycle frame to come into contact with protective tape. If it’s a problem, it should be detailed in the owners manual.

The lacquer would protect it anyway and the adhesive is unlikely to be that different from that on the decals.

I’ll certainly be putting some on my new RFX.

warpcow
    Free Member

Didn’t someone on here have warranty issues with On One due to protective tape?

chakaping
    Free Member

I wouldn’t expect to be able to make a claim for problems with the frame finish if I’d stuck tape all over it, but it shouldn’t be any reason not to warranty for frame snappage.

duntstick
    Free Member

My new Supersix came with squares of clear tape to apply.

scotroutes

Northwinds On One started coming apart and he was told it was his fault for using heli tape.

I have some on my Blur and it’s left a real mess behind when I’ve had to remove / replace it. The carbon is fine but I just can’t get all the glue off.

Northwind

warpcow – Member

Didn’t someone on here have warranty issues with On One due to protective tape?

Aye, me, and a couple of other folks on Bikeradar. TBH As long as you buy a quality product from a company that aren’t compulsive liars, I’d expect you’d be fine. I’ve used helitape on many other carbon parts without issues.

flap_jack
    Free Member

I asked the salesman. He asked his boss. His boss said it should be OK. Nothing in writing, of course.

However, I did note that Specialized had already heli-taped the right hand chain-stay so I hopefully that’s a good sign.

Now I’ve got it home, can I resist riding it before I get the tape ?

RAGGATIP
    Free Member

What colour is it flap_jack?

flap_jack
    Free Member

2015 so exactly like captain flash’s. Sort of grey but with the slightest hint of brown. Put like that, sounds not very nice, but it is !

Thank you to Nick at Leisure Lakes Daventry who made the process very enjoyable. He earned whatever commission he got.

xcstu
    Free Member

My Niner Air 9 Rdo carbon frame came with protection tape already on the down tube… Sure my old specialized s works also did?!

RAGGATIP
    Free Member

It’ll be fine. I’ve got loads of heli tape on my black carbon Diverge. If it was a lighter colour and the bike had been exposed to sunlight and dirt then on removing the tape you’ll see the paint that hasn’t been taped over will be a darker shade. May take a bit of t-cut or similar to blend it back in. Speaking from experience with a gloss lacquered frame. The Diverge is matte though so I think this will be less likely to happen. The carbon won’t be affected at all. Get good tape though. Take your time using a hairdryer and plenty of water to get it round the curves. 3M is the best and they do a matte/silk finish tape too.

andyl
    Free Member

The adhesive is normally pressure sensitive acrylic. Won’t harm anything.

Only risk is pulling the paint off poorly painted frames (use a hair drier to soften the adhesive before peeling) and if you frame breaks they won’t pay for replacement tape for the new frame as it’s something you have fitted.

tomhoward

IME..

Madones come with protective tape,
    Santa Cruz dealers offer an invisiframe fitting service.
    Every demo bike ive ever ridden is covered in its own weight again in the stuff.

By all means check, but I reckon you’ll be fine.

flap_jack
    Free Member

Invisiframe looks great but nothing yet for a Diverge. I’m sure there soon will be…

tomhoward

nothing yet for a Diverge. I’m sure there soon will be

Give them a ring, they’ll make you a kit if you send them the frame. They did for my Nomad when it first came out (well, they did it for Stif)

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Does putting helicopter tape on a carbon frame affect the warrenty ?’ is closed to new replies.