Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Does our IT man know what he's doing?
  • cbike
    Free Member

Our Server died 4 weeks ago. Backup failed Shortly afterwards. Since then our desktops have been wiped, been given new passwords and logins on multRiple occasions and we have had no company email for the duration. Pretty frustrating. Will a UPS have power surge protection? That’s what the fault is being blamed on.

But business working as usual and tech department have never been less hassled by 16 emails asking for a table and chairs ever.

scaredypants

Jesus ! these are popping up everywhere

Call Northwind – stat !!

andyfla
    Free Member

Our Server died 4 weeks ago

Shit happens, if hardware you shouldn’t have lost anything unless you are very unlucky (Raid card corruption is about the only one), if software then he ho – rebuild and restore time

Backup failed Shortly afterwards

Incompetence- you should have multiple copies, esp after a rebuild – and they should have been checked

desktops have been wiped, been given new passwords and logins on multRiple occasions and we have had no company email for the duration

No idea why this is happening, but a ups surge wouldn’t make it happen. So unrelated to the power fluctuations.

UPS’s second function is to flatten the power levels – ours used to fluctuate fairly significantly and the ups took care of it. if it gets to much it dumps it to neutral and the fuse trips,

So yes, in answer to your question I have to question their competence of your IT dept.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    ryderredman
    Free Member

I feel somewhat sorry for them as sometimes we are expected to know everything about anything which could possibly involve a computer.

It could well be that something else has gone on and its just simpler to blame it on the UPS to save having to explain everything? (I dont condone this, however they may have their reasons)

Times like that can be stressful, especially if the fault was down to legacy kit.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Does our IT man know what he's doing?’ is closed to new replies.