Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • does my bike need a diet? (35lb fr turner 6 pack content)
  • davski
    Free Member

well the wife just bought some new fancy digital scales an so i decided to weight the turner, 16kgs= 35lb… i didnt think it was quite heavy, but it is still muddy from yesterdays ride so could maybe drop 2lb of mud off it…
    i love the way it rides an its my only bike so does everything, up and downhill!
    spec’d up with halo rims, 66sl bombers, 760mm gusset bars and maxxis dh minion front and highroller rear..
    so how much difference will a few pound make? is it worth loosing the strenghtfor a few lbs.. lighter wheels mayb..?

Hadge
    Free Member

i love the way it rides

There’s your answer. Yes by getting a lighter set of wheels or forks it might climb a bit easier but if your happy why bother? I had 2 old HL 5 Spots and the one that had a coil shock and coil forks and came in at just over 30lb was a far better ride than the one that had air shocks and was about 27lb.

sambob
    Free Member

It only needs a diet if you feel it could improve on the climbs.

juiced
    Free Member

i would just leave it. you sound happy with it.

davski
    Free Member

Could certainly b improved on the climbs but I’m starting by trying to drop the 95kg engine powering it.. 🙂
    Think I need to weight the wheels as am wanting a new rear hub for summer (hope pro) so might as well go for a lighter rim while I’m on…
    An thanx for the comments, I’m just a bit unsure of what weight it should b, but looking thru here a 35lb fr bike isn’t uncommon..

I_Ache
    Free Member

You could save a few grams by getting rid of the ugly mud guards and computer. And maybe used single ply folding tyres rather than DH ones.

Northwind

If you like it, then no. OTOH maybe you could lighten it without losing any of what makes it good, and benefit.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Theres no point, you’d need to replace every part on it. Keep it as is if you like it. If you want a lighter bike, sell it and buy one.

br
    Free Member

and is that your wifes’ toy on the floor in the first picture?

br
    Free Member

Take it to pieces and weigh each bit.

Then comparing weights on t’net and you’ll probably be able to loose a kilo or so with little expense.

GW
    Free Member

looks confused, what’s it used for?

Dual ply DH tyres are for one thing IMO, long stems, lots of gears and pointy down saddles are better for the opposite.

I’d either set it up properly for descending or lighten it for XC (starting with the tyres, then fork, saddle and rims – tyres and fork alone could save you 3lb)

I_Ache
    Free Member

I think this may be the first time I have agreed with GW strangely it also coincides with a rare helpful post of his. Therefore I deduce that I must have drunk too much and should go to bed.

GW
    Free Member

night night lightweight 😛

kayak23

Don’t you find washing up more difficult without a dish drainer?

Is that shock the right way up? Looks a bit wrong imho.

if you’re happy with the way it rides why bother changing owt?

andrewh
    Free Member

Dual ply DH tyres are for one thing IMO, long stems, lots of gears and pointy down saddles are better for the opposite.

I’d either set it up properly for descending or lighten it for XC

Nonsense. It’s a bit like my old Marin, 5″ coil sprung, 6″ JrT triple-clamp forks, 203mm brakes, tiny stem and huge riser with triple chain-set, Flite SLR and SPDs, XTR shifter, mechs, etc. Proper Jack of all trades, looks like the OP’s bike is similar, something that you can pedal up the uplift tracks and have a blast with on the way down. If it ain’t broke leave well alone.
    If you must change something I would say changing the tyres for the folding version will make a big difference to the climbing hopewithout effecting the downs.

GW
    Free Member

ha ha… proper old skool pikey DH bike more like 😆

andrewh
    Free Member

proper old skool pikey DH bike

Kind of, but I like it

Photo taken pre-JrTs, the RST HI5s were useless.
    I like the OP’s bike too, very much, I’d just swap the pedals for some XTR Spds.
    It’s about the same weight as the OP’s too.

thegman67

I ride a giant reign x1 it weights 42lb and i love the way it handles

MartynS

I wouldn’t worry to much if you like riding it..

Lighter wheels might not be such a good idea, you’ll wreck them on a bike like that!

Onzadog
    Free Member

It weighs about the same as my 6 pack. Mines has never let me down. I’ve even ridden lord of the loops on it. I’d say your only mistake was weighing it in the first place. If you’d not don’t that, you’d still think it was closer to thirty.

allmountainventure
    Free Member

Looks like it wants a van rc shock that does. Only another half kilo 😉

My bike comes in at 32lbs/15.2kg. Not the slightest bit interested in making it lighter; the next fork upgrade is going to add 200g.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

If it’s your only bike and you’re not too worried about setting distance / speed records then I don’t think much needs changing…

Just maybe swap the frame for a Transition Covert, get some Floats up front and some tubeless rims and tyres. Swap the stem for a nice short Thomson and add a smattering of XTR or XX and I think it’ll be perfect.

nickhart
    Free Member

Man up! Go for a dump before you ride, lose some weight yourself. It’ll be cheaper and easier. My highline is just over 40lb and I love riding it and when I was fit I never thought of changing it.
    I am building a more xc oriented machine but I’m not watching the scales I’m looking at geometry and climbing ability. The HL is great but a bit of a handful on the climbs.
    I also need to man up and ride more so we’ll see how I get on!

davski
    Free Member

Nice Marin uv got there…! I used to hav a similar frame but it was quite flexible so didn’t hav it long…
    An the Tyres are only single ply not dual ply, theyr just my winter Tyres, I run kevlar bead ardents once it drys up a bit.. The mud guards r there for the obvious, nowt worse then getting an eye full of shit half way down a fast section..
    Im running 2×9 at the mo which can hardly b described as having lots of gears surely, it’s the best setup for it I find..
    As for what I ride my local is hamsterly forest which has lots of fast flowing an technical decents but u need a good peddler to get to them, I do the odd cheeky dh run an it has the travel to cope with most things..

davski
    Free Member

A nice short stem is on the list when I find the right one cheap enough(2nd hand)
    Fox floats would b a nice touch, but just can’t afford any so these will do for now..
    Il hav to google that highline iv never heard of one, think as everyone has said if u like the bike keep it..!

geetee1972
    Free Member

Just because you like the way it rides now doesn’t mean it can’t get better. 35lbs is a bit of a lump. If you think the bike rides well now, imagine how good it would be if you dropped 5lbs of weight!

For starters you could ditch the dual ply front tyre. I don’t even need a dual ply front tyre in the UK and I’m a good five kilos heavier than you (and I’m fast and clumsy over rocks).

The biggest saving will come from lighter wheels and forks. Those Bombers are made from girders but it wouldn’t be a cheap upgrade. A set og 36 Floats or the BOS Devile will set you back a big wad but will save you around 2lbs.

I’m not sure what Halo rims you’re running but the Stans Flow rim is so strong and likely a lot lighter; it’s an obvious performance gain. Lighter wheels will be noticeable everywhere, not just uphill. The bike will feel more nimble and accelerate out of turns quicker both uphill and down.

I agree that if you’re happy that maybe there’s no need to change, but that’s not the same thing as there being a big improvement to be had from lightening a heavy bike (and let’s face it, it is heavy!)

chakaping
    Free Member

If on a budget then a secondhand 36 Float R and pair of pro2/Flow wheels.

Or maybe a new set of those Sunringle AM wheels that CRC are knocking out for £180ish, if still available.

Man up! Go for a dump before you ride,

Ding!

vondally
    Free Member

My old turner rfx never really got below 32lbs but i did keep a coil shock as above really
    lighter forks andi would suggest talas, dropping the front end made firetracks climbs a breeze

lighter tyres and tubeless will make a world of difference to the feel

stans flows or sunringle on crc do look good and singletrack reviewed them and thought they were very good

Handlebars and grips…..

vondally
    Free Member

My old turner rfx never really got below 32lbs but i did keep a coil shock as above really
    lighter forks andi would suggest talas, dropping the front end made firetracks climbs a breeze

lighter tyres and tubeless will make a world of difference to the feel

stans flows or sunringle on crc do look good and singletrack reviewed them and thought they were very good

Handlebars and grips…..

GW
    Free Member

“A nice short stem is on the list when I find the right one cheap enough(2nd hand)
    Fox floats would b a nice touch, but just can’t afford any so these will do for now..”

Oh, right! well thanks for wasting our time 😕

rotten
    Free Member

It’s always nice to make your bike lighter, just make sure the parts are suitable for the type of riding you do.Just got a ti spring for my ccdb and lost 141g. Orange 5 by the way.

davski
    Free Member

Gw why is it wasting your time, surely this is a chat forum an I provided a topic to talk about, asking ppls opinions bike related… Just because I can’t afford a pair of £600 forks and am making do with a pair that cost me £150 a few year ago doesn’t make this topic a waste your very precious time does it… Your the one wasting my time for me having to write this pointless reply to your brainless comment

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

I have exactly the same frame. It’s always going to be beefy but mine is a nice 31lbs.

Mine is 1×10, Crossmax ST’s, X9 and SLX bits, Coil Lyriks and a DHX5 air for UK mincing and a DHX coil for more Alpine gravity stuff. I actually stopped riding my DW Spot and now mainly ride the 6 Pack. I just prefer a four bar.

davski
    Free Member

Iv never ridden a dw so wouldn’t know but alot of ppl seem to comment that the 4 bar is the better ride, when I bought mine I was lucky enough to get the 5 spot plates with it so come the summer I’m gonna hav a swap over an give that a good run as it’s supposedly a good mod..!
    The turner is certainly the best bike iv ever owned but then its the only iv ever put any thought into an not just bought because of price..!

muddydwarf
    Free Member

I have a Marin Wolf Ridge, its 15 kilo and im only just over 9 stone. Yes, its heavy, but I love the way it handles and it climbs surprisingly well for such a bike. Its never going to be slim due to the suspension design and the only way I could improve it markedly would be to replace the Pikes with something lighter. Too expensive that route tho at the moment. Ride it and replace stuff when its worn out is my motto.

GW
    Free Member

I thank you and all I get is abuse 😥

davski
    Free Member

No problem lol… I mayb took it the wrong way… 🙂

nickhart
    Free Member

Highline here
    It’s loads of fun

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘does my bike need a diet? (35lb fr turner 6 pack content)’ is closed to new replies.