• This topic has 49 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by TimP.
Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • Does hanging clothes out on a frosty night make them whiter?
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Sunshine, innit. As discussed.

mangoridebike

yep, but super sunshine as the reflection from the snow increased the effect

DrRSwank
    Free Member

Frost, radiator, tumble drier, sun, frost on a full moon, sun with snow, frost with snow!

How small are the pieces of my double blind randomised latin square towel going to get!

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Dr – It’s all worth it in the name of science!

*still not sure why it matters how white are whites are if we’re single blind, let alone double blind*

alanl
    Free Member

Yes, leaving out in frost can work, though I have no idea if it would work with modern fabrics.
    There is somewhere just off the A6 near Bakewell where this used to be done commercially many years ago.

Alan

DrRSwank
    Free Member

Mr Yeti,

I guess, in theory, it doesn’t matter whether it’s single or double blind. Single blind means I can’t know what I’m doing with each microscopic square of towel.

Double blind means neither I NOR the towel knows.

For complete clarity and unbiased results I thought it better that the towel sections should not know how they are being dried.

It may be overkill……

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

No, no, no Dr. I think your methodolgy is completely sound. We can’t be sure of the towels take on this experiment. I for instance would try and show poorer signs of whiteness if you put me in the freezer. Removing this bias from the experiment seems extremely important.

Admiralable
    Free Member

I want to know what happened to the Royal trousers? Are they clean yet?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Study into impact of 9 months of weather into the cleanliness of Royal Race Trousers following a very muddy ride.

It would appear that more commonly accepted means of washing clothing, such as the washing machine, are not only quicker but also more effective.

Much of the mud still seems to be there.
    It would appear that some spiders made their home in a couple of the creases.
    Some parts of the trousers are looking faded (dark bits exposed to sun)
    Some parts of the trousers are looking bright (white bits exposed to sun)
    There was a fiver in one of the pockets – it was still fully functioning and 49p of it has been used to purchase milk this morning.

Studies into the impact of frost on cleanliness are ongoing.

TimP
    Free Member

So with all the snow and weather we are experiencing, what is happening with the trials?

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Does hanging clothes out on a frosty night make them whiter?’ is closed to new replies.