Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • Bike fettling… Does everyone on here do their own? If not… why not?
  • psychle
    Free Member

Things like installing/removing a HTII BB, fitting a new cassette, that sort of stuff? I only ask as I just received a set of tools off the classifieds (HTII tool, cassette lockring tool and a chainwhip, oh and some cable cutters) and I can't believe how easy this stuff is! I can't believe it's taken me so long to get these simple tools and carry out this work myself instead of paying £5-£10 to my LBS every time I need to fit a new cassette or change disc rotors on a centrelock hub 🙄

A quick question though, do you really need to worry about torque settings? eg. on the cassette lock ring it says 40nm, just how tight is that? and is it hugely important?

nbt

I do as much of mine as I can. Cheaper to buy the tools and do it in most cases.

I believe the accepted value for torque is "just till it begins to strip the thread, then back it off a quarter turn"

rs
    Free Member

do everything other than headsets, your right its quite easy, i just tighten stuff up till it feels good and tight but not like your going to snap anything if you push it any further. Nothings fallen off yet!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Yup. Been doing it since the early 90s.

Because
    a) I don't trust bike shops
    b) At first I couldn't afford it
    c) Now I enjoy it

I'd rather spend £40 on tolls than £15 geting the jo done for me, and now I have every tool I need and sometimes get paid in beer.
    Truing wheels has turned into building them, too….

chvck
    Free Member

Same as nbt, do what I can myself but don't build my own wheels or press headsets!

I tighten things till they feel tight, I also have a nice big hammer for bashing my cranks out though….

crazy-legs

I do most of my own work although some stuff I leave to the pros – stripping forks/shocks mostly.

Things like fitting headsets/BB's, wheel truing I'll usually "borrow" my LBS workshop, I know the guy in there and in exchange for cake and coffee he's usually fairly accomodating.

Re your question on torque, having worked in many bike shops over the years I've kind of got a feel for most things but if it's vital then I'll use a torque wrench (again, LBS workshop time for that one!)

forge197
    Free Member

Do most stuff excluding fork service, wheel building and truing other than that everything else is fair game. I own a torque wrench so can torque to the recommendations but you can feel it it's to tight.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

A quick question though, do you really need to worry about torque settings? eg. on the cassette lock ring it says 40nm, just how tight is that? and is it hugely important?

If you're using an expensive cassette (SRAM 990) then yes, it's important. Doing it up too tight can deform the alloy carrier. It's the only thing on a bike I always tourque up properly.

miketually
    Free Member

I think that the only thing I've not done is fit a headset.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

surely that is bollox, a cassette just needs to be nipped up tight

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Do most stuff excluding fork service

You should learn. A basic service is VERY easy, replacing seals, changing oil and the like, and it makes a HUGE difference to the ride and the longevity of the fork. Same goes for aircan services on rear shocks. Need no tools other than an allen key to remove the shock (the can unscrews by hand) and again, makes a massive difference.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

surely that is bollox, a cassette just needs to be nipped up tight

OK, you wreck your own expensive cassette then (or alloy freehub body come to think of it), then see how much bollox it is.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

seeing as i have never buggered up a cassette or alloy freehub i will continue doing it up "nipped" up – why would it need to be stooooopid tight?

fozzybear
    Free Member

Same as PP, recently being doing more and more myself.

Because
    a) I don't trust bike shops (split pinch bolts on frames, over torque'd, not changing both bearings, only changing the one cuz only the one squeaked (the other later collapsed completely), they also fitted cheaper quality parts but charged the same price as OEM parts
    b) I couldn't afford it (rates have gone up so much recently)
    c) I enjoy tinkering

now doing basic services on forks and shocks, we build (my girlfriend built her own alps wheels from birthday gifts and borrowing my park tools rig).

we have collected a pretty good set of tools and i've mad a few of mine own inc a loot to help bleed and clean hope brakes.

previously i've not had the time to do this stuff, now i make time. the girlfriend is learning too, she can now split her cassette off and fully service her freehub/wheel bearings, if it goes major i do the more techy stuff but it's not hard and it all helps keep things going

MrAgreeable

Some forks are easy (I've just changed the oil in my Pikes' lowers and wish I had plucked up the courage to do it before), some require a bit more finesse (I basically killed my old Vanillas trying to service them myself). Forks and brakes can be messy and requires a bit of planning to do properly, so I'd understand if anyone wanted to leave it to the shop.

Installing headsets is fun, lots of bashing with hammers, but I'd prefer to do it with the proper tools if it was a nice frame.

PJay
    Free Member

I used to get the LBS to fix punctures and yet have managed to progress to building up a complete bike (including pressing a headset) and recently necessity forced me into bleeding a hydraulic disc brake. I've even managed a fork oil change (although not replacing seals etc.). The only thing I've needed the LBS for recently was facing a disc mount (I don't have the tools).

I tend to get a bit stressy about things but do enjoy it and find it very rewarding. It's fun collecting the tools too.

The people on Singletrack are a great source of help as it the Park Tools website, a good book is handy too.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

seeing as i have never buggered up a cassette or alloy freehub i will continue doing it up "nipped" up – why would it need to be stooooopid tight?

You don't need it stupid tight. But you're obviously perfect.
    I use a torque wrench because I have one, which makes me perfect and a good mechanic.
    😛

psychle
    Free Member

I need to do a basic service on my E150 fork… been putting it off (mainly because I'm worried about not having a torque wrench, and also because it seems like a complicated piece of kit, though it is apparently a very easy service to do… I should just do it 🙄 )

fozzybear
    Free Member

also in the same "it's bollox" comment, my thomson post would squeak a bit no matter how heavy handed i got with it.

got a nice teng torque wrench this weekend and set about it with the wrench.
    5.5 mn and bob's your fathers uncle! at first i was totally yer it's bs about torque ratings, so went at my occasional squeaky bars, 7nm on the bolts and it's all quiet, for my OCD that was worth the wrench alone (got it on ebay for £15 bargin!)

psychle
    Free Member

anyone recommend a decent torque wrench?

markenduro
    Free Member

Do all of my own stuff including wheelbuilds mainly because i can and i enjoy it. If you are even slightly mechanically minded it is fairly simple with bikes as most stuff just bolts on. There is no substitute for the right tools though and when you have got them you can either lend them out or help your mates for beer tokens.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

PeterPoddy – Member

You don't need it stupid tight. But you're obviously perfect.
    I use a torque wrench because I have one, which makes me perfect and a good mechanic.
    so have i PP – only thing that i haven't attacked with my bbb torque wrench tho is the cassette

racing_ralph
    Free Member

psychle – Member

anyone recommend a decent torque wrench?

http://www.bikegoo.co.uk/product.php/201/0

julianwilson
    Free Member

The only things I have never done to a bicycle are welding, respraying, facing/reaming, 'proper' damper service for air shock and replacing big seals and bushings on forks. Between my local riding mates we have pretty much all bike tools apart from reamers and cutting tools (which are welllllll expensive: you'd have to use them dozensd and dozens of times bedfor they paid for themselves) and it has collectively saved us quite a few bob in bike shop repairs.
    It is often cheaper to buy a custom built wheel for merlin or crc than to buy the bits yourself, but I have built a few of my own and rebuilt a few for my friends.
    I had a torque wrench but i lost it. 🙁

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I do all my own bike mechanic-ing just so i know its right. All the stuff that people assume is complicated is actually very easy once you've found a step by step guide on the internet.

I'd say the toughtest thing is removing rear hope hub bearings. And building wheels because it requires a few hours and a bit of patience and you have to be in the right frmae of mind to do it.

fozzybear
    Free Member

i'd also say i've built tools like headset presses and nipple drivers (ohh er missus) and when others then borrow your tools (only good mates) it's nice that in a small way you have passed the idea on to others.

forge197
    Free Member

PeterPoddy – I've tried in the past on forks it wasn't successful they ended up at the tip 🙂 I will give it another go because I am sure it would be fine.

Like you I buy the tools as I go and it makes such a difference and saves having to worry about getting to and from the LBS and the qualiy of their work.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Slight change of subject (Sorry.. 😉 )

Anybody get shed envy?

Yeah, baby, YEAH!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

PeterPoddy – I've tried in the past on forks it wasn't successful they ended up at the tip I will give it another go because I am sure it would be fine

All the info is out there for the taking. RS forks are stupidly simple to strip down. I'll be starting on my Foxes soon, too……
    🙂

psychle
    Free Member

I wish I had a shed 🙁 I live in a tiny shoe box flat in London, at least half of my available storage is taken up with bikes and bits though 😀

MrAgreeable

Anybody get shed envy?

Are those my tyres hanging on the wall? 😉

coffeeking
    Free Member

Same as PP. But I'm fairly used to it and dont bother with torque wrenches anymore as I rarely screw it up – I know 30lbft feels like "this much" force on a spanner that long. Though I've not recalibrated my arm in a while.

Cassette torque – just a good hand tight is plenty, no need to go all worlds strongest man on it, but make sure the lock ring is snuggly nipped up. Theres a certain sound to it that I'm struggling to describe, it goes from a soft whirring as the teeth begin to engage, then gets more definite vibration, then it gets a crisp vibration and I give it about 1/8 of a turn extra from that point. Might be easier to get a wrench on it lol.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Mr A! No, yours are just out of shot hanging in the rafters, top left!
    I forgot to say that they were brilliant in the Alps. I used them for 2 days and I have to say that for going downhill I can't fault them. I changed them for something lighter for the PPDS as there's some climbing to do.

But thanks very much for lending them. Let me know when you want them back and I'll sort it out! 😀

tinribz
    Free Member

It's not I don't trust bike shops, its just fun to fix up yourself. And a good excuse to acquire more tools. Like someone said everything just bolts together anyway, how hard is that.

MrAgreeable

Okay Pete, no rush. Let us know next time you're in Bristol and we'll go for a ride! 🙂

cinnamon_girl

I'm a girl.

oldgit
    Free Member

Yes everything bar facing and reaming and rear wheels. I've re rimmed front wheels and what's the problem with headset fitting?
    Still got my old Campag bottom bracket and threaded headset tools (for when I finally get my old Gios back from the guy that bought it years ago)

coffeeking
    Free Member

c_g – thats no excuse. My other half fixes her own stuff, with a supervisory eye from myself. She's even done a driveshaft change on her car. Get out there with some tools!

<though I get the feeling I've fallen into a trap here somehow>

swamp_boy

I do nearly all mine. Most of it is pretty easy bit I'm not too keen in wheel building, like someone above said you have to be in the frame of mind. I don't tackle brazing / welding.

I've never been too fussy about torque settings except with crank bolts, after having a crank work loose out on a long ride.

sv

Ducati in the garage would be nice 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Bike fettling… Does everyone on here do their own? If not… why not?’ is closed to new replies.