Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Does every ride do you good?
  • Bullet

I’m a strictly ‘for fun’ rider, just ride when I can and try hard when I’m out… So no ‘training’ as such, just the belief that any riding is good riding and maintains/improves my fitness.

Just wondered if that’s actually true?

ton

keeps me sane and right in the head, that is better to me than the fitness it may provide.

dawson

all riding is good riding! – even if it is just a 20 minute spin, it helps to clear your mind.

Some of the serious lot may hold the theory of if you aren’t killing yourself every time then it is just ‘junk’ miles

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

If you feel good while riding then that’s the main thing.I only ride for fun now and love it road/X/mtb bikes.Use to race XC for 14 years loads of training etc.loved that at the time but was all very controlled and measured.Now I ride much more.Do what you feel best with.

cloudnine
    Free Member

What exactly are junk miles?
    Riding to slow or not slow enough?

Rubber_Buccaneer

No, the ones that end in hospital rather than at home have not done me any good. All others were at least a bit of exercise and 99.999% of the time fun too.

kcal

I’ve been pretty anxious over the last few days – rapid heart rate and all the rest.
    This afternoon thought “sod it” and went out for a spin, to empty my mind, and to – bizarrely – bring my heart rate down :0)

badllama
    Free Member

I personally feel it does.
    I’ve had a hard time at work at present (and now got a new job) but my partner says I’ve always seem less stressed when I get home, if I’ve commuted by bike rather than car.

Maybe it’s just the exercise or a better method of switching from work to home in my head but I feel better once I’m home after riding.

Every other ride is for fun and I always feel better 🙂

Bullet

Good points about the ‘mental’ benefits of getting out there, just as important as the physical side for sure.

I guess the ‘just get out and ride’ mantra is true.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

What Ton said. I’ve given up on ‘fitness’ as such but as long as I’m fit enough for the ride I’m doing, that’ll do me.
    So i reckon every ride does you good.

brooess
    Free Member

Pretty much. Some of the road rides I can come home feeling stressed if the driving’s been particularly unfriendly but 99% of the time, riding a bike is a good thing…

honourablegeorge

ton – Member

keeps me sane and right in the head, that is better to me than the fitness it may provide.

Amen

shiatostorm
    Free Member

in direct answer to the OP, yes probably. not just a fitness aspect to it but as many point out there are many psychological benefits to it all as well.
    I used to row a lot, trained twice a day 6 days a week…not done that for a few years now and fitness levels certainly not what they were but I can still head out for a couple of hours and not worry about it. it’s not doing any harm whilst not being part of a regime but the overwhelming result is I feel so much better for having got out on the trails to decompress.
    So, unless some berk drives over you or you manage to pitch yourself off into some nettles/brambles/other unpleasant demise…I’d say rides do you some good. Yes. 🙂

shermer75
    Free Member

I’m a strictly ‘for fun’ rider, just ride when I can and try hard when I’m out… So no ‘training’ as such, just the belief that any riding is good riding and maintains/improves my fitness.
    Just wondered if that’s actually true?

Yes, very much so.

nickc

Some of the serious lot may hold the theory of if you aren’t killing yourself every time then it is just ‘junk’ miles

Most of the serious lot will probably tell you that a lot of the training “load” shouldn’t be killing you.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Depends what you mean by good. I did 10UTB today, finally sitting down with a beer after cleaning the bikes, emptying the car and walking the dogs. It’s done my head/mind/whatever the world of good. My body, not so much right now 🙂

Northwind

Except the ones I smash myself to bits, yes. The idea of junk miles only makes any sense if you’re seriously into training- it’s only about opportunity costs and missing out on what could be a more valuable training session.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

yes and no, they all should but…
    The ones that end in hospital – no
    The ones where you push too hard and get ill no
    The ones where you commit time/money to only find you have a crap ride or break something on the bike then limp home no

Others generally yes

shermer75
    Free Member

I would say that a bike ride would take care of the ‘Aerobic Activity’ portion of this slightly over-cheery-colourful but actually quite useful infographic:

shermer75
    Free Member

This is a good video explaining the ‘hidden’ benefits of not having a sedentary lifestyle. I know that it is talking about your regular ‘half an hour a day’ type stuff rather than your weekly 2-3 hour ride, but I personally feel that it definitely all contributes, and whilst one ride a week isn’t a total substitute for daily exercise it is definitely better than doing nothing!!!

[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aUaInS6HIGo[/video]

kerley
    Free Member

It is always better for you than doing nothing. Someone that rides for fun a few times a week will be fitter than the same person who just sat on the sofa day in day out. Any exercise is better than none.

daveh
    Free Member

My Garmin says not every ride does you good – it scores the training effect of each ride on a scale of 1 to 5. 1 does you no good, 2 maintains your fitness, 3 & 4 add fitness, 5 should be treated carefully, not too often and with plenty of rest. Having said that even very steady rides score me near 2, 5 is where you’ve turned yourself inside out all ride eg racing.

CheesybeanZ

+1 it really does help keep the voices quiet .

asdfhjkl
    Free Member

It’s a misconception that training is always difficult and tough going. In reality, what people perceive as “junk” miles are actually good for recovery and building aerobic fitness. Ride yer bike and you’ll be all the better for it.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Does every ride do you good?’ is closed to new replies.