Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Does anything shift as well as Shimano chainrings?
  • vinnyeh

Is there anything nowadays which shifts as accurately and reliably over time as Shimano chainrings? It's been years since I bought anything else, and wondering whether there are any replacement rings as good, that might be a bit more economical.

LeeW

The new Turbine rings from Race Face shift really well, IMO a little quicker than Shimano they look great too. There's a compatability chart on their website so make sure you buy the right ones.

I'm not sure if they are more economical though, I didn't really look at Shimano prices as I was looking at longevity rather than cost.

boriselbrus
    Free Member

Middleburn slickshift hardcoats are comparable in my experience.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    bigyinn
    Free Member

RaceFace ones seem to be as good, although to be honest, im happy to put up with a slightly reduced shift quality as they're not made of chocolate.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Simple answer – No. Nothing shifts as well as Shimano. 🙂

bigyinn
    Free Member

Nothing has as short a lifespan as Shimano either!

midlifecrisis
    Free Member

I would agree with the comments about the quality of Shimano shifting.

If you opt to pay a minor weight penalty and use Shimano steel chainrings for middle and inner then the longevity is much better than for their alloy offerings.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Nothing has as short a lifespan as Shimano either!

But that's not what he asked! 😉

FWIW, I hoover up loads of cheap 'new' Shimano rings from the classifides and other places. £20 for a full set of Deores is the going rate and at that price, you can't beat 'em at all! 😀

Daffy

My XTR middle ring has done between 3500 and 5000 miles and is still going.

Rip
    Free Member

The only thing better is a Rohloff!

zangolin
    Free Member

Blackspire Super Pro rings.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Does anything shift as well as Shimano chainrings?’ is closed to new replies.