• This topic has 30 replies, 29 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by devs.
Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Does anyone use a dfferent bike for the winter gloop.?
  • neilsonwheels
    Free Member

I am breaking out the old Saracen for the winter shite. It's a good ol'gal, un52 square taper, bomb proof bombers, v's ect…Our usual night loop is all mainly sandy type gritty stuff. It eats bikes. Fast.
    Anyone else use a different bike in the winter/mud.? I always used to retire the enduro for muddy rides to save the bushings.

And under the cover of darkness no one will ever know it's a Saracen.! 😉

Kuco

No use same bike all year round.

firestarter
    Free Member

i tend to use the inbred in the crap weather rather than the full sus . But depends on the ride

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Yup. I use a road bike……..on the road.

mybike
    Free Member

crack out the winter hardtail? oh yes

that grinding noise sounds cheaper

Nezbo
    Free Member

It depends on the ride, terain, weather conditions (rain, snow, Ice ect…)

I use my Riged SS in bad conditions, and one easy(ish) rides. I use my Hardtail, somtimes, and my fullsus on epic rides.

nicks
    Free Member

road bike / hardtail !

scaredypants

I've just stuck a rigid fork & ss conversion on my old bike 😳

If I had the fitness it'd make sense – new forest is one of the flattest & boggiest places you could wish for as a MTB rider. Not sure how long before I stuff gears back on it, though (I think I'll be on such a low gear for the "hills" & mud that I'll be waaay too slow on the firmer bits)

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Cx & Hardtail come out.. Oh and the Ribble Roadie..

steve_b77
    Free Member

Generally use the Handjob for winter riding round the local woods, but then again that might be limited this year

ononeorange

S/s inbred usually comes out (or the P7 which has monster tyres on)

4ndyB
    Free Member

I only have 2 bikes, a mountain bike & a road bike, I don't change owt parts wise for winter or summer, i just ride the bikes & deal with it

CHB

Just built a cheap (ish) on-one 29er for exactly this reason. Oh and to explore the delights of 29 inches.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Oh and to explore the delights of 29 inches.

oohhh er missus ect… 😀

allthepies
    Free Member

Hang the full suss up and break the ss out over winter.

simondbarnes

I use a road bike and a cx bike. The past few years I've used a singlespeed but I've got over that now 🙂

djglover
    Free Member

Riding in mud is really boring, id rather stay in and have a ****

elaineanne
    Free Member

well i dunno yet cos ive only had me full suss for 4 months… must get back on the hardtail soon ( i keep saying that, but im still buzzing on my orange bike) at the mo.. lol

clubber
    Free Member

Rigid ss in the winter for me just because it's less hassle to wash the mud off and there nothing to wear out (technically of course the transmission wears but it's so slow as to not matter) or go wrong. Full susser, hardtail or the same ss with a suspension fork for when it's dry.

dasnut
    Free Member

yeah, why would I wreck my suspension bikes on slow muddy night rides?

chrisd
    Free Member

SS with £5 BMX chain so I don't have to clean it.

epo-aholic
    Free Member

i usually ss my bike for winter

swisstony
    Free Member

I ride my HT when it's crappy, couldn't ride with V's, they're even worse in the wet and rigid is just daft!

tomh
    Free Member

SS in the mud makes mud more fun and dosent kill the bike

racemonkey

SS in the winter. Only needs hosing off every four or five rides and there's nothing much to wear out anyway.

Kuco

what's with this all not much to wear out? Over the past few years the winter been drier than the summers.

michaelbowden

i just put the trailrakers on

Coleman
    Free Member

I use the same bikes all year round. The faster they wear out the sooner I can buy new ones!

big_n_daft
    Free Member

SS for the winter

willsimmons
    Free Member

Singular Swift with Rohloff. Singlespeed maintenance and cleaning program except with gears!

devs
    Free Member

I bought a 456 summer season as my winter bike last year and ride it more than anything else now. I reckon I'll try this SS malarkey on it soon too.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Does anyone use a dfferent bike for the winter gloop.?’ is closed to new replies.