• This topic has 125 replies, 83 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by bonj.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 126 total)
  • Does anyone still wear lycra apart from racers?
  • martyntr
    Free Member

I don't mind wearing lycra, and do every day on the commute (usually under waterproofs)

I tend to wear baggies over te top at trail centres and when out with group, as I don't like people staring at my infeasibly large package

mt
    Free Member

I never wear baggies

I only ride a bike because it gives me a legitimate reason to wear lycra in public.

uplink
    Free Member

Onzadog
    Free Member

Lycra (in black). Perhaps not the most flattering thing for me but bolox to what anyone else thinks, it's kit that works and that's the most important thing, especially in this weather.

yoshimi

Wear lycra on my own and baggies if in a group to blend in. Dont really see the point of baggies – you never use the pockets as things bounce/rub on your legs and they get wet easy and stay wet. But I really don't look good in just lycra 😯

oldgit
    Free Member

Yep been wearing lycra since it was wool.
    Tried baggies once, horrible flappy catchy and freezing when wet.

Also noticed, just yesterday in fact. Everyone was wearing heavy duty rain jackets even though it wasn't raining.

crazy-legs

Unfortunately, some others are a little off put by it; I work with mostly women (and 2 of the 4 other blokes are gay, so who knows what to think!! ) and some of the girls do get a bit embarrased, so I tend to wear baggies when I commute.

I know where you're coming from on that one. My first job, my co-workers very quickly got used to me cycling to work in lycra and the comments soon stopped. Then I changed jobs and honestly, there'd have been fewer comments if I'd have arrived at work by UFO. Wearing baggies generally elicited fewer daft comments about what cyclists looked like although I still got questions as to why I rode a whole 8 miles(!) when I had a perfectly good car.

The job I'm in now, most people cycle to work and most of them wear lycra for their commute. 🙂

juan
    Free Member

No lycra, shorts (what is this baggies you are referring at) with just standard underwear underneath. If it's cold I wear cycling trousers.
    I have tried to put a 3/4 lycra bib I have in the bottom of the wardrobe and I just couldn't way too uncomfy.
    So short every time because it has no disadvantage over lycra (I don't race so I couldn't be more bothered with drag) it has pockets, you can wear them off the bike. And same rules apply for casual shaped cycling t shirt.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Lycra more comfy in cold/wet for sure. But I don't like the look – it's not causal enough. At this time of year I wear lycra under the Endura shorts for warmth. Pockets useful for munchybars.

ianpv
    Free Member

lycra on road, baggies over lycra offroad.

The pockets are useless, but they do provide a lot of abrasion protection when you crash as the baggy slides over the lycra, so you and your fancy lyrca don't get shredded underneath. I thought this was common knowledge, and why so many people do it?

(Plus, like samuri, I'm averse to putting holes in 75 quid bibshorts…)

BigDummy
    Free Member

Offroad, I don't wear baggies if there's a serious chance of getting wet. On the road or in the wet it's a lycra job. I quite like how I look in lycra though, so it doesn't bother me either way.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Good quality Lycra for me, always.

singlecrack
    Free Member

lycra for me now
    I seem to always get my baggies caught up with my saddle when decending and hanging off the back and have stacked it a couple of times because of this.

langy
    Free Member

Langy, you need to get out more. Seriously! Are people supposed to take your comments seriously with an attitude like that?

I'd suggest that most of your problems are about your own self image rather than what anyone else thinks of you. They probably don't even notice you so get over yourself.

Driller – That is not "attitude" or being full of myself; I work for a fashion label – what you look like and 'image' are looked upon where I work quite intently. I already don't fit in in that regard and get judged because I wear beat up old shit to work rather than the latest Armani this or Ralph Lauren that; as such I can assure you that I have no problems with my self image. Thanks for the concern though 😛

However, on several ocassions at work talk has sidetracked into cyclists "silly outfits with tappy shoes and bulges in skin tight clothing" often accompanied by lots of giggling and cat calls etc; I am not trying to make out I have a big dick to be waving around (my wife will confirm that! 😥 😉 ), it is simply a case that some people do get flustered by cyclists in lycra and don't know how to handle it; a number of the women that I work with don't. For others it's no big deal. My point was, that to say that no-one cares is a bit much; maybe you don't, I know I don't, but not everyone is of that same opinion.

sheffield43
    Free Member

Lycra, particularly bib shorts and longs are the most comfortable and practical on a bike assuming you don't crash – that's just a fact. I generally wear baggie shorts over a pair of bib shorts in summer because I think they look better. I never wear baggy shorts over lycra longs because I think it looks really weird so in winter it's bib longs either on their own or with a base layer or with waterproof trousers over the top in really wet/muddy conditions.

cookeaa

I happily wear Lycra on my road bike, and in the 90’s I lycra’d up for riding my MTB but since my MTB riding has changed from XC to more DH and all round trail riding I’ve taken to the baggies, they are comfy, I prefer wearing Endura padded boxers under them to Lycra shorts as you can overheat a bit but I have been known to wear bibs under baggies. I do my best to avoid needing a camelback; I don’t like the wet sweaty centre patch you inevitably get, so using cargo pockets and rear pockets on jerseys/jackets is my preference…
    But I’d also never pay the asking price for most bike specific baggies, sale bargains, cheapo high street jobbies if they work or chopped down Combats for me…

As for Skin suits in DH, I think it’s a real shame the UCI ruled the way they did, Downhill as a sport should be more about function than fashion, and skin suits do actually make a difference, in my view it’s the start of a slippery slope, very much fashion being chosen over and above function…

As for everyone else bumbling about on trails and roads, wear what you like, no need to get all militant over the “Correct attire” you’ll always look like an arse to someone whatever you choose to wear…

mountaincarrot
    Free Member

Lycra every day. Can't beat it.

Saying that I do have one pair cheapo baggies which I wear only if we go on a family ride to a summer open garden, or National Trust or something. – I believe it pays not to upset the senior citizens taking tea in the orchard.

ooOOoo
    Free Member

FFS it's only a bike ride. If you are not competing then wear shorts like normal human beings do.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

FFS it's only a bike ride. If you are not competing then wear shorts like normal human beings do.

I do, lycra ones.

elliptic
    Free Member

the god-awful practice of wearing lycra tights but then baggy shorts OVER them

I know someone who wears baggy shorts UNDER his tights 😯

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Yes but come on let's not pretend that's why people wear them. They wear them because they think that if they don't wear them they will look fat/skinny/unmuscly/etc, and this worries them. It shouldn't. Simple as.

Nope. I always wear lycra alone on my road bike, but virtually always with baggies on top for MTB. I do use the pockets and CBA taking my Camelbak off everytime I want a snack, which can be quite often if you're at a trail centre and waiting around a lot. They're also very useful when I'm taking the train to ride and want tickets and money handy. Also I think the idea that anyone that doesn't necessarily want to be in a pub/cafe/supermarket/train etc in their lycra has some sort of massive self-image problem is bollox.

Why is it such a problem for people?

Goz
    Free Member

Bib baggies….ive got a pair. 😆

mountaincarrot
    Free Member

Indeed – baggies over Lycra tights? – Now which is sillier?

Do all baggiers thrive on those freezing winter legs?

DickBarton

I do…I've got baggy shorts but only wear them with lycra on underneath as they aren't comfy otherwise…baggy kit, never got on with it as it kept catching on my saddle and stuff so it's been lycra since the very early days (when they looked like bermuda baggies on me until I started to fill out!)

kimbers

wow lot of lycra nazis on here!

i dont wear it because it looks really stupid and have never had any problems with baggies catching, getting too wet etc i always wear some lycraish chamois undershorts though

i think this site tells you all you need to know about lycra
    http://www.gaycycling.de

warning not safe for work!

Shackleton

Padded lycra shorts under baggies. Surely the best of all worlds? You can ride day after day without irritation and don't look like an escapee from a gimp show either.

I would suggest that if you catch your shorts on things then you mave have taken the "baggy" part a bit too far. Or have covered your bike in coat hooks.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Baggies in summer as i find them comfy.
    Spring/autumn it's baggies with knee warmers underneath.
    Winter – full lycra biblongs and training jacket (waterproof in pack).

Each type of clothing has its appropriate uses and time of year.

oddjob
    Free Member

I've never seen a pair of baggies in Denmark. i have a feeling that the baggies are a bit of a British thing. If you want something that you feel comfortable strolling around town in, then it's a different matter, but I think on the continent, most people are pretty used to cyclist wearing lycra and it doesn't raise many eyebrows

I don't care what you want to wear, but I think lycra is by far the best material for cycling clothes.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Since I started MTB in the early nineties I have always worn shorts, and Ronhill tracksters in the mid winter. For me, I was/am a climber, mountaineer and hill walker and mtb was another fun way of getting into the hills. I see it as an extension of mountain walking, not an extension of road cycling. I have/had no desire to associate myself with roadie cyclists or their gear, because it's a different sport and totally alien to me (it also suites me financially to cross use kit where possible). I'm in the mountains on a bike, most of my gear is made up of my mountain walking clothing and that includes a pr of shorts or Ronhills.

MrAgreeable

Grapple pants are the best thing ever for winter cycling, but I normally wear shorts over the top too – apart from not frightening the horses, it makes them a lot more wind and crash proof.

Really this debate belongs on Bikeradar. You should wear what you like – as long as it's not rainlegs. 😉

hillsplease

Lycra unless it's biking to the pub and if it's post 4 hr ride collapse in beer garden with pint and crisps – lycra for that too, especially if near closing time.

The 'hung up and crash' experience with baggies made me think that people pointing and laughing was a small price to pay for staying on the bike.

But whatever works – we all ride bikes and fundamentally bike wear looks a bit cockish to the untrained eye.

juan
    Free Member

You can ride day after day without irritation and don't look like an escapee from a gimp show either.

It works without the lycra you know

juan
    Free Member

I have/had no desire to associate myself with roadie cyclists or their gear, because it's a different sport and totally alien to me (it also suites me financially to cross use kit where possible).

You are my hero today

Blower
    Free Member

lycra is the new baggy.

ooOOoo
    Free Member

Eve makes a good point – who goes out rambling in the hills in lycra?

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Just to qualify my point

baselayer – karrimor
    fleece – Rab
    Shorts – The North Face
    Boots – karrimor KSBs

But wear what the hell you want and feel comfortable in, most people don't care. I'd probably be out walking in the dales in this very same kit the next weekend.

mrsflash
    Free Member

Yup pretty much always wear lycra. i ahve two pairs of baggies, and neither ar that comfortable.

Oh, and there are few better sights than a fit man in lycra.

BoardinBob

My penis is tiny so I have to wear baggies

myfatherwasawolf
    Free Member

I wear a woolly jumper on my lower half, with my legs in the arms and tackle hanging out of the neck hole. You get a few odd looks but if you need a dump it's quicker and easier than lycra bib tights.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 126 total)

The topic ‘Does anyone still wear lycra apart from racers?’ is closed to new replies.