• This topic has 125 replies, 83 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by bonj.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 126 total)
  • Does anyone still wear lycra apart from racers?
  • benji_allen
    Free Member

I never have. I have really hairy legs and a small package 😥

c_klein87

I do if its really muddy, as baggys get covered in mud and slippery on the saddle, and feels like your going fast with lycra on………

Suggsey
    Free Member

I do and ditto but tend not to give a flying **** what others think. I actually find its the only riding ear that I can get off the back of the seat and not get caught up on the return, plus its warm and compresses tha muscles so less soreness the day after a big ride.

Junkyard
    Free Member

It is the best riding gear …roadies do know a thing or two about the right thing to wear ….they were riding bikes before we were.
    I guess it depends on whether you want to look good or wear the most appropriate clothing.

Taff
    Free Member

I always wear lycra out but normally wear baggies over them. I'm more embarrassed about leaving my house in them than wearing them. Nothing better than wearing just lycra is it's really wet or muddy though.

silverpigeon
    Free Member

I wear them on a serious day out, on road or MTB. MT500's, can't beat them

willy
    Free Member

i wear me ronhill tights to uni whenever its cold or wet past all the uni babes etc 🙂

househusband

Frequently, under baggy shorts – especially 3/4's now it's colder and wetter.

bonj
    Free Member

I always wear roadie gear, one of the main reasons is to annoy mtbers who think we "should" wear baggies.
    The only point in baggies is to make some vague effort to hold on to the notion that biking is the sort of thing you do spontaneously – by just 'hopping' onto a bike in whatever you happen to be wearing at the time, but we all know that's not the case.
    The worst is people who commit the god-awful practice of wearing lycra tights but then baggy shorts OVER them – awful – just what is the actual point of those shorts? They don't provide any additional warming, they don't provide any protection, the only possible practical reason is pockets – well just use your camelbak.
    The only other reason not to wear proper cycling gear is vanity – the 'I don't look good in lycra' syndrome, but if that's your attitude then you might as well just wear a sign saying 'i'm not happy with my shape'. Why not? Nobody else is offended.

benji_allen
    Free Member

I'm not happy with my shape dude. I've got a bent spine and a buckled rib cage. I'm quite thin too. I'm not gonna start wearing skin suits any time soon.

alpin
    Free Member

nope, never worn lycra for all to see.

i'll always stick a pair of shorts over the top. it just looks really bent. i know it makes sense, but still.

even on the road bike (it's a fixie really) i'll stick a pair of 3/4 over the top.

here in germany you'll have 70 year old grandads popping to the shops fully lycra'd up in ill fitting aldi cycling gear. a sight for sore eyes, i tell thee.

will
    Free Member

I love lycra. Best riding kit by miles. Just can't get on with baggies, especially in the winter

Radioman

Lycra leggings with waterproof shorts on top work well on muddy winter trail rides..

superdan

I wear DH baggies over my lycra shorts for everything, the baggies provide lots of protection in the event of a crash, the lycra helps prevent chaffage (yey!). The one time I fell off and slid wearing just the lycra it made quite a mess of my leg 🙁

On the last run of the last race of last DH race I did last season (the one before they controversially banned skin suits (I don't mind them, for the record, in a sport against the clock, the pro's should be allowed to make a judgement call on protection vs all out speed))(woo, nested comments, sign of a ramble) I wore a borrowed skinsuit in lieu of my normal armour + baggies and a MX top get up. It felt stupid fast, but I cut a huge chunk out of my shin muffing a root, and was 2 seconds slower 🙁

I wish they would put some kind of fly in bib shorts though, the unzip, unclip lean over and try and avoid pissing on you chin thing is getting old fast now that the winter rides are here 🙁

nickc

Baggies are worse than useless in the shite weather. lycra is the way forward

project
    Free Member

Benji,just pack an extra pair of socks,thats what all the roadies do.

jedi

lycra is underwear

westkipper
    Free Member

Cant really call myself much of a racer these days, but I still think like a racer, and dress like one.
    Baggies were just another late 90s fashion to distance the cool mountainbikers from, well, proper cycling.
    Oops I said it out loud 😳

aviemoron
    Free Member

Yep as bonj above I wear lycra cos no-one else does now, inc' a roadie cap under helmet cx look too, just for extra wind up potential when out with the "dudes".

petrieboy

Lycra all the way. always have a snigger at chaps with baggies over lycra to look cool. we are grown men on bicycles – we all look daft regardless.

headfirst
    Free Member

lycra biblongs are brill

Swalsey
    Free Member

I still wear it if its a big ride or if I'm commuting a big distance (>10miles) – function over form!

Garry_Lager

Always wear lycra – no brainer. Don't mind a waterproof short or 3/4 on top in the winter – makes a difference on a filthy ride.

0091paddy
    Free Member

Don't own any baggies.

crazy-legs

In summer I'm not really bothered, lycra or baggies. In winter, lycra tights are the most sensible option – it stops water running into my socks, means my legs don't get cold and mud-covered.

There have been times where I've wished for a pair of waterproof shorts on top though.

zaskar
    Free Member

Commutes I use waist bibs and mtb shorts over them.

Road rides-waist bibs and lycra shorts over.

I think if you have a small package you are better of as I feel embarrassed in the summer by looking big and also you have to get comfortable riding which looks like you're playing with yourself-you hope nobody is watching and somebody see's you and grins lol.

Also lycra reduces muscle vibration so less energy is wasted so I am told.

My Gf calls me spiderman when I get home 🙄

OldGitSurrey
    Free Member

Lycra FTW! Most of my stuff is Santini, including some nice 'Roubaix' lycra, the slightly warmer one with the brushed inside finish.

flatback
    Free Member

lycra all the way, i dont look good in it but cycling clothing for cycling, baggy crap for scateboarding and such
    i was over in belgium in october maybe saw 200 cyclists road and mtb, didnt see one cyclist who wasnt just going to the shops in baggy stuff,if they was on a bike they wore lycra, infact i was in a large mtb store and they did not even sell baggy stuff
    since when did dressing like a ninja become the way we are supposed to dress, the brighter the bettter

fubar
    Free Member

I'd wear lycra again if I was 2 stone lighter…totally functional….surely baggies are for the fashion parade posers

zaskar
    Free Member

It does make you look fatter. So it forces you to get in trim!

Metrosexuality at it's best…does my bum look big in this? yes you're fat!

Lycra makes you look fatter but also makes you look better when slim!

Dries out quick in the wet weather too.

james
    Free Member

"The worst is people who commit the god-awful practice of wearing lycra tights but then baggy shorts OVER them – awful – just what is the actual point of those shorts? They don't provide any additional warming .. "
    They do provide additional warming
    More importantly, especially with shorts with a little water resistance (or waterproof), they reduce the cold/wetness of the undershorts

"they don't provide any protection"
    They do, especially thicker DH type ones. Theres always a chance you might rip the lycra open at far end of your ride?

"the only possible practical reason is pockets – well just use your camelbak."
    They're good for that. I don't want to have to keep taking my camelbak on and off whenever I want to get at my gloves or camera (waits to be told my camera should be in my camelbak)

Sometimes I just wear the lycra, but sometimes its easier with baggies

bonj
    Free Member

They do provide additional warming

wear warmer/better lycra and/or base layer. can't possibly be cold in assos winter bibs. they're thick, fleecy and windproof.

They do, especially thicker DH type ones. Theres always a chance you might rip the lycra open at far end of your ride?

Yes but come on let's not pretend that's why people wear them. They wear them because they think that if they don't wear them they will look fat/skinny/unmuscly/etc, and this worries them. It shouldn't. Simple as.
    The DH ones provide additional padding as they're bulkier but if you don't go for those extra bulky DH ones then the only thing that another layer of fabric will protect you from is road rash, which you aren't going to be getting on a mtb ride.

They're good for that. I don't want to have to keep taking my camelbak on and off whenever I want to get at my gloves or camera (waits to be told my camera should be in my camelbak)

No, you can keep things you need to access in the hip pockets (you HAVE got one with hip pockets, haven't you? 🙄 ) but you probably should get out of the habit of taking a camera on rides, it's just one more excuse to keep stopping for a rest you can do without.

samuri
    Free Member

I always wear lycra shorts and usually wear a lycra top. They're comfy and wick sweat away quickly. I always wear baggie shorts though. Let me tell you a story.

I've started riding at the velodrome a lot this year. They insist you wear lycra shorts. So I bought a brand new pair of lycra MT500's. Great shorts, very comfy. First ride in them, BANG! Off I come, slide along the banking at 25mph, shred my shorts. Hmmm, that's 40 quid down the drain. If I was allowed to wear baggies I'd have just got up and carried on. Not happy. Now if that was offroad or even on tarmac,I'd not only have a shredded pair of shorts, I'd also have a shredded arse.

Nah, baggies every time. They're tough.

Bizarrely, i've bought myself a pair of bibs for the track. 60 **** quid! Bet I come off on them soon.

glenncampbell

I prefer lycra – much easier to wear although I prefer not to crash in it ideally!!!!! Baggies are fine but I prefer to have gear that doesn't fly around too much – might wear them on a big trail or wilderness ride.

Ti29er
    Free Member

Lycra Bib shorts and bib longs.
    From 10 days after I bought a bike, 4yrs ago.
    I'd not consider anything else, although 4yrs ago I'd have laughed at the thought. My Spec' longs are the same as I bought then, only one small tear in them by my foot.
    Perfect kit.
    I was out in the pouring rain, sleet and gale force winds on the Sky Line at Afan today.
    It's the best gear to ride in to my mind.

langy
    Free Member

The only other reason not to wear proper cycling gear is vanity – the 'I don't look good in lycra' syndrome, but if that's your attitude then you might as well just wear a sign saying 'i'm not happy with my shape'. Why not? Nobody else is offended.

Unfortunately, some others are a little off put by it; I work with mostly women (and 2 of the 4 other blokes are gay, so who knows what to think!! 😯 😆 ) and some of the girls do get a bit embarrased, so I tend to wear baggies when I commute.

Baggies are a bit more 'practical' if the ride ends at the pub, cafe, pizza place afterwards as we don't have trail centres near us with 'on-site' facilities, so you're mixing with the 'general public'. Again, I don't care, but others do; besides I don't mind baggies or lycra so no problem for me.

The chamois in most baggies are pretty good these days too, where as previously you had to get roadie stuff to get a decent pad.

TBH as long as you are comfy, go for it.

Driller
    Free Member

Langy, you need to get out more. Seriously! Are people supposed to take your comments seriously with an attitude like that?

I'd suggest that most of your problems are about your own self image rather than what anyone else thinks of you. They probably don't even notice you so get over yourself.

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Lycra shorts/3/4 bibshorts and merino/sportwool jersey- all proper roadie stuff – i've even given up using my camelback most of the time. Roadie gear is the best for me.

Dirtynap
    Free Member

I wear baggies and given that descent ones come with lycra shorts inside (good ones are removable), I also wear lycra. Also descent baggies are waterproof and in the mud don't make any difference.
    The bonus is the I can remove the lycra and just wear them as normal shorts so I get two in one. There is no way on earth I'd go down the pub in summer in a lycra shorts unless it was fancy dress come as a plank day.

Lycra is for racing and it should stay that way. i am so glad skin suits are banned from DH racing.

AndyP
    Free Member

lycra all the way. Still can't see a single point in baggies unless you like looking like a scoutmaster.

zaskar…what are 'waist bibs'?!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 126 total)

The topic ‘Does anyone still wear lycra apart from racers?’ is closed to new replies.