• This topic has 13 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by pnik.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Does anyone still use Stans rimstrips? Sun Inferno 23 content…
  • happybiker
    Free Member

I remember using rimstrips about 12 years ago on 717 rims, since then I’ve always used proper Stans rims and yellow tape or gorilla tape on all my wheels.

I’ve got some oem wheels that came on my Rocky Element which are really heavy and I can’t sell as no one want’s them so I thought I’d convert them to tubeless and use them with mud tyres. Tried 2 wraps of gorilla tape and they won’t seat a tyre. Is it worth trying some rimstrips? Anyone have any they’re willing to part with?

chrishc777
    Free Member

I used rimstrips on my inferno 27 rear rim, it worked fine with TR tyres, got me down Fort Bill WC(well I did tear the tyre after 6 runs but that’s not the rim’s fault) and only blew up when I warped the bead on a TR EXO Ardent at Inners doing mach 10!

I don’t ave the strips anymore as I sold them with the wheels

bails

I just got my OEM (branded as Voodoo but actually Alexrims) wheels tubeless. It took about three full layers of gorilla tape and a lot of bubbles but they’re up now. The ‘tubeless ready’ superstar rims that I’ve done on the past were certainly easier, but these weren’t dreadful. They’re up at 50psi now without any explosions so should be fine.

The Ritchey wheels with Stan’s strips that I did years ago were harder, and pretty unreliable tbh.

happybiker
    Free Member

Thanks, that sounds promising! I’m happy to buy a set if they’re going to work. I don’t think the Inferno’s are meant to be run tubeless.

bigdrew
    Free Member

My nukeproof rims (rebranded infernos) went up easy with tape. Various maxxis tires

ssboggy

I had a pair of those wheels and I (think) I used stans freeride rim strips and they worked fine. Pretty sure the stans website recommended those

PrinceJohn
    Free Member

What’s stopping you adding another layer of gorilla tape to build up the rim bed? It’s what I’ve just done and it seems to be working

happybiker
    Free Member

Im not sure, never used more than one wrap, when 2 didn’t work at home with a compressor and valve stems removed (with 29″ Beavers) I gave up! I might just buy the Stans strips. I think I’ll use the xc ones as they’re pretty narrow rims.

RobHilton
    Free Member

The only issue I’ve had with rimstrips is getting the tyre to separate from them – absolute PITA, but otherwise they worked wonderfully well.

I just use a few layer of electrical tape nowadays

reefer110
    Free Member

I’ve got a set of Inferno’s on my RM, probably the same as yours. Converted them to tubeless with about 2 wraps of Gorilla tape. FWIW the tyres are Minion DHR 2 EXO’s.

happybiker
    Free Member

Follow up on this, I added 2 layers of gorilla tape and managed to seal my Rocket Ron and Racing Ralph using a compressor, both TLR.

pnik

Ive been having a similar battle, for some reason the back wheel is always a pain but the front goes up no problem with the cafe latex tape i put on 2 years ago. The back ive retaped 3 times, each time a battle, was going to add more gorilla tape but end of roll time dammit. Conti x king protection on fulcrum 29er. Inner tube today go shopping tomorrow and try again…im thinking about going rimstrip again. Or flogging the fulcrum wheels and finding some stans rims.

happybiker
    Free Member

Is the issue not the tyres? Conti tyres seem harder to seat than most.

pnik

No problem with same spec tyre in same rim on the front though
    Ive been running mountain kings on the same wheels too, front is always fine, back is always a pain.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Does anyone still use Stans rimstrips? Sun Inferno 23 content…’ is closed to new replies.