Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 84 total)
  • Does anyone still ride 'Old School' XC mountain biking?
  • smogmonster

Just wondering if anyone still rides in the way we all used to, find a few trails across the Moors and ride them? 15, 20+ miles at a reasonable pace etc. It seems everyone i used to ride with has become obsessed by Strava KOMs and this Enduro nonsense, if they arent riding down the steepest daftest man made stuff possible then it doesnt seem to register on the interest scale. Its either that or head to a trail centre. When i head out into the Moors or Dales for XC rides, i see no-one other than roadies (nothing wrong with that, i do a fair bit of road stuff myself), the Bridleways are barren. Am i alone in thinking this or have others found similar?

slackboy

Its pretty much all I do.

ton

never done anything else.

Paul-B

I still ride the same trails in the same area I did 25 years ago so yes.

Fat-boy-fat

Just did three days straight of 35+ miles a day in the Cairngorms. Fantastic.

Marin
    Free Member

Yes I do. Also ride trail centres, downhill and to the shops.

jonnyboi

Yes, although I tend to ride the trails more on a cross bike than XC nowadays.

jam-bo

i use the bridleways and cyclepaths across the moors to get to the good bits.

cogglepin

Yep, that’s all I do as well.

NormalMan

Yes. Often on an ‘old school’ geometry 29er too.

RustySpanner

Yup, pretty much.

slowjo
    Free Member

Waves!

Mainly on a “gravel” bike atm but if not, on my old Swift.

I thought we were a dying breed.

johnw1984
    Free Member

Being fairly new to the sport, I’m still finding my legs.

I know a lot of people hate the term “Enduro”, but I suppose it serves a purpose to describe a certain type of riding these days.

I do a bit of a mix. I like trail centre blasts, Lakes/Peaks rides and doing some mileage on the Gravel Bike.

However, I really can’t stand all the bullshit and nonsense that seems to come with a type of rider that can be described as “Enduro”. I can never tell if they are being serious or ironic.

Yeah, so basically, anything on two wheels is interesting to me. I try not to pigeonhole myself.

dannyh
    Free Member

ton – Member

never done anything else.

It’s pretty much all I do. I maybe visit a trail centre a couple of times a year, but otherwise its out in the countryside stuff with a few bits that people have ‘built’ on the route.

On the internet, though, it’s all shredtastic downhill with tyres barely staying on the rim around every corner………

qwerty
    Free Member

I use the bridleways, footpaths and cyclepaths across the valleys to get to the good bits.

mt
    Free Member

It is the only way for me, just ridding trails an looking at the views. Seen it come and go, how long before we have “what happened to enduro events” a couple of years maybe?

zilog6128

it’s all shredtastic downhill with tyres barely staying on the rim around every corner………

isn’t that pretty much how the likes of Repack Rider, etc, describe their early days of mountain biking in the 70s/80s?! “Old school” doesn’t equal bridleway snorefest to everyone! 😉

I mean, I enjoy a nice view or just being out in the fresh air, but going downhill/fast is more fun. Isn’t it!?

ballsofcottonwool
    Free Member

Yes, I’m fortunate to live somewhere I can ride into the hills from my doorstep and have the eastern Cairngorm a half hour drive away. Last night I rode Glen Lee for the first time which was absolutely stunning with the waterfalls and purple heather.

I even ride an old school bike a 1998 Marin East Peak FRS with a 100mm stem.

aP
    Free Member

Most of my riding is a mix of road/ trail/ singletrack/ bridleway/ farm track – usually about 60-80 miles on a Sunday out and about in the Surrey Hills. Walk the bits you don’t like, ride the bits you do. Not much faffing. Cake and a coffee always, maybe an ice cream.
    Bikes vary – 650b gravel bike, 29er drop bar, 26″ hardtail or fullsus, or a 700c CX bike.

NormalMan

slowjo – Member

Mainly on a “gravel” bike atm but if not, on my old Swift

I probably should be in a gravel bike for 90% of what I do these days. Thing is, if I’m not on the old school 29er then I’m likely on the fat bike!

Highly inappropriate but good fun.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

If you choose the right bike for the conditions everything is enjoyable.

Not sure buying these big travel bikes is that sensible as it flattens out all the normal/natural/local stuff and means finding stuff that is exhilerating to ride is less likely.

Just gone from my 120/105mm 26er turner flux to a 130/120mm 650b flux and things have suddenly become easier. And when my 140/120 650b+ sultan is ready things will be even easier.

whitestone
    Free Member

Pretty much all I do: Dales, Lakes, Scotland, occasionally the Peak. Rarely (as in less than once a year on average) go to trail centres, genuinely trying to remember the last time I went to one.

As for not seeing anyone out on the trails: you could be following (or being followed by) someone five/ten minutes ahead and never see them. I’ll meet the occasional small group out in the south Dales but it’s rarely more than two or three at a time – the Kettlewell Killer loop seems popular for some reason despite it doing some trails the wrong way round.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I like a bit of everything MTB wise, pootle up the river (often with a pint or 2 half way), uplift days, exploring to find new stuff, enduros, manky nightrides alone or with mates, big days hike a bike, trail building too. In fact, A days building is often as enjoyable as a days riding, certainly rewarding, and means I’m desperate to get back out and ride the new track.

ahwiles
    Free Member

TurnerGuy – Member

If you choose the right bike for the conditions everything is enjoyable.

type 2 fun?

samtheman
    Free Member

Can’t remember the last time I rode a UK trail centre. Some are ace (CyB, Stanes lot etc), but much prefer the natural stuff, & love it when the trails are quiet. Can’t beat an epic on the moors in the rain.
    Was being teased the other week as I was the only one to turn up on a 26er with a front mech & ‘skinny’ 2.3 tyres. WTF?? Glad I left the spandex at home for that one

Yetiman
    Free Member

It’s part of the mix.

RobinL

Don’t profess to be a good technical rider so do lots of local miles using roads, bridleways, paths and tracks. 95% plus of my rides are from home, between 20 and 40 plus miles. Once out of town it is surprising how few people you see even on a Sunday. I ride a few trail centres a year on a weekend away but generally begrudge driving for an hour or more to ride when I can go from home.

This weekends ride consisted of canal towpath ( Colne Valley, West Yorkshire ) out then over the Pennines ( bits of Pennine Way ) back into the Calder Valley to get home.

IHN

Yep, s’all I do (off-road). Trail centres, enduro and all that guff can get in the sea as far as I’m concerned.

Often on an ‘old school’ geometry 29er

There’s no such thing as old school 29er 😉

I was the only one to turn up on a 26er with a front mech & ‘skinny’ 2.3 tyres.

26″, 3*9, 2.3 tyred hardtail here too. It’s the future 🙂

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

So, what were you doing forty years ago when Elvis died?

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

been doing a lot of hiking* recently in the areas that i used to cycle all the time and the lack of people on bikes is very noticeable. In something like 25 weekend walks in prime Chilterns cycling areas I’ve probably seen less than a dozen mountain bikers. A few years back we’d often see more than that in a single day.

‘skinny’ 2.3 tyres.

I’m sure i’ve got some 1.9’s in the shed, might chuck those on the bike, ramp the psi up to 45 and go ride the ridgeway tomorrow.

* The hiking has temporarily taken over from the cycling because a mate wants to walk the coast to coast next year and I’m trying to prepare for it a bit and make it enjoyable rather than a lesson in punishment and humiliation.

slowoldman

I’m too old and slow to do anything else.

yorkshire89
    Free Member

Not often, maybe 3-4 rides a year on bridleways (lakes/moors/dales).
    Once a year I might try and see how fast I can do a loop of Dalby red non stop.
    Most riding now is usually messing about in local(ish) woods, pootle up, chat, and go for it on the downs.

steve_b77
    Free Member

I spend most of my time doing that, I only visit trail centres when I’m in the area.

Last weekend we rode form my mates house to Macc forest, up & over Charity Lane, down Derbyshire bridge way to Buxton, over the old road, back up the Cat & Fiddle, down into the Goyt Valley, over Macc Forest again and back to his, 102km all in…………. proper riding innit.

Most of my local riding is along brideways, re-purposed railway lines, natural single track in woods and along forest roads.

Andy-R

I just class it as “trail riding” which covers pretty much everything from old hill roads to forestry singletrack and everything in between. I do like following sheep tracks to see if they can form part of a decent route and I also like steep rocky descents. We don’t have much of those here though, so I have to get my fix of those when I’m in Greece.

Give me a nice rocky gully and and some trees and I can spend a whole afternoon picking different ways through and trying to ride them clean. Not many people that I know seem to “get” this though, so I’m usually out alone…

I also like trail building/clearing, because I always like to find new, hidden ways to get to familiar places. So I probably ride where I was riding twenty five years ago but now have far more capable bikes to do it on, which means I look for more difficult details in the terrain.

I just wish I lived somewhere with big mountains that were more accessible than most are in Greece.

NormalMan

IHN – Member
    There’s no such thing as old school 29er

Fair play. Steep HA then. As in it starts with a 7 😯

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Yup, but then also head to ‘degla for a regular mid week ride.
    Oh and bike pack.
    But yeah, mainly long old hike a bike type fun.

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

Yep it’s all I do, well 95% off time, it’s a shame so few mtb’er ride natural tracks, even on strava on a busy day max you.ll see is 6 or 7 riders and it’s the same names, very few youngster (under 35) around my way everyone seems to be 40-55, do the kids just do trail centres..

faustus

You mean normal riding? Meaning anything off-road? For me that defines ‘mountain biking’ generally. No need for sub-categories, no need for a particular ‘weapon’. Ride anything on the one bike, any trail, anywhere. Moors, field edges, trail centres, woods, mountains. Uphill or down, fast or bimbling. Any combination of that in one ride. It is possible to ride on the flat quickly and smash decents, without calling it En-XC-duro, or caring what it’s called.

None of it needs categorising based on perceived speed, trail difficulty, bike type, geology, clothing, whatever. Thinking too much about all this stuff is pretty joyless, and a sign of spending too long thinking about it indoors and caring what the internet says.

OK, rant over 🙂

Northwind

Yep, sometimes. But in all honestly not really through choice, it’s just what’s local to me.

I built myself a nice XC bike thinking it’d encourage me to do more of that sort of riding but I never ride it. Actually the fatbike’s made me enjoy that sort of thing more but I used to do xc blasts mostly for fitness, now I bimble.

whitestone
    Free Member

Interesting the Strava bit – look on the heat map and places like Gisburn glare out yet a few Km away and the bridleways hardly have any usage – you have to zoom right in to see a trace. A quick check of some segments shows around 35K recorded rides on the Gisburn red and 500 or so on some of the Dales descents.

I’m aware that not everyone uses Strava but with a large user base the percentages of overall riders are likely to be similar, in fact I’d have thought that those out on the BWs would be more likely to use it.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 84 total)

The topic ‘Does anyone still ride 'Old School' XC mountain biking?’ is closed to new replies.