Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Does anyone ride a recent Fox 34 29er fork? Is it noodly?
  • slowboydickie

I am thinking about buying a 2015 or 2016 fox 34 fork to go on a new bike but I read the Fox isn’t as stiff as a Pike. I have had a Pike on my hardtail for 2 years and have had no faults at all so whilst so I am a bit curious about the Fox, I can’t help thinking I should maybe stick with the Pike.

While typing this post I seem to have convinced myself the Pike is the way to go. Any comments about the Fox though?

Cheers
    Rich

pbooker1995
    Free Member

The 2015 and 2016 Fox 34 are completely different forks.

For 2016 it’s been redesigned from the ground up. The new 2016 models are very good and are way better than the pikes in every single way.

This is coming from someone who has had 4 sets of Pikes on different bikes and also a set of 2015 Fox 36’s.

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

2016 34’s here. Not noodle-y at all. As above the 2015 & 16’s are entirely different beasts both inside and out, so wouldn’t use opinions of the 15 to judge what 16 is like, and vice versa.
    2015 34 v Pike, I’d take the Pike.
    2016 34 v Pike, I’d take the 34.

STATO
    Free Member

Which pike and which 34? there are many versions of both.

slowboydickie

Thanks guys for comments.

PIKE solo air RCT3 140mm vs 2016 Fox 34 Float Factory 29er 140mm

rickon
    Free Member

The Pike will be stiffer, no doubt. The 34 isn’t really flexy, I’m running mine at 150mm and it’s not the stiffest thing in the world.

I’ve replaced the 2015 CTD damper with the PUSH damper, which makes a world of difference – and makes it feel like a Pike.

I’d either be buying a Pike or a 36 on a 29er with 140mm or above travel *IF* I were riding DH or Enduro trails.

If I were riding at trail centres etc, then I’d be happy with a 34.

slowboydickie

Its going to be fitted set at 130mm to a trail bike and mainly ridden around surrey hills so lot’s of steep techy singletrack but not at downhill speeds. I guess a Fox 36 would be overkill.

chestrockwell

I have 2014 34’s (140mm, 29er) on my bike and although they might not be as good as Pikes they are plenty stiff enough for me and I am a big unit. Can’t imagine the new version will be worse.

smogmonster

Running 2014 Fox 24s @ 140mm on my Cube Stereo. Im an 87kg ex-rugby player, and dont notice any flex at all. Beware of mountainbike magazine bull$hit.

rickon
    Free Member

Its going to be fitted set at 130mm to a trail bike and mainly ridden around surrey hills so lot’s of steep techy singletrack but not at downhill speeds. I guess a Fox 36 would be overkill.

The Fox 34s will be fine then, 35s on 130mm of travel is overkill for sure.

renton
    Free Member

Rickon tell me more about the push damper upgrade.

Will it work on the 2013 model ?

rickon
    Free Member

It’ll work on any 34 with CTD trail adjust. It’ll work on your fork, which is a 2014 not 2013 fork 🙂

TFtuned do it…

slowboydickie

Thanks folks.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Does anyone ride a recent Fox 34 29er fork? Is it noodly?’ is closed to new replies.