Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Does anyone pay full price for forks?
  • mtbtomo
    Free Member

I'm looking at getting some 120mm Magura Durin Marathons or some 2010 Reba Team U-Turns 120mm (quick release model) and it seems they're both round the £500 mark. Seems there are lots of other Reba models discounted round the £300 mark.

Should I hang on and see if the model I want gets discounted or do people think its still worth paying full whack?

Or could I reduce the travel on my 130mm Magura Menja to 120mm somehow?

clubber
    Free Member

You can reduce travel on just about any fork – just open it up and fit a longer top out bumper (eg add a spacer in). Works better on air forks though as you don't end up preloading the spring.

As to whether it's worth paying full price, that depends how much you really 'need' the new fork.

FWIW though 10mm travel difference will make very little real difference anyway especially as different brands of forks of the same travel aren't all the same length.

schrickvr6
    Free Member

I think around £300 is about the max I can justify spending on forks, I got my 36 Van Rs from Canada for £300 new, Totems from the CRC flood sale for £240 + £28 for a maxle…But I don't like paying full price on anything.

Mister-P
    Free Member

I would be surprised if anyone with internet access pays full price for forks.

grumm
    Free Member

The RRP on forks is crazy – I paid £450 for some new 36 Van RC2s, which was than I really wanted to spend but way less than the ridiculous asking RRP of £800 or so.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

The Reba's are £445 on ebay.

I'm really looking to lower the front end a smidge and the Magura Durins would also say some weight. Guess I should compare the axle to crown length primarily.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I paid £450 for some new 36 Van RC2s

Where? 🙂

grumm
    Free Member

bikeoutlet – they are all gone now though. Originally bought 09 36 Van Rs for £360, but they phoned me to say they were out of stock and they had these instead. Bit pissed off as more than I wanted to spend but still a good deal – they are amazing forks.

psychle
    Free Member

got a set of new 09 36 Fox Float RC2's for £419 from CRC, bargain-a-licous 😀

ibis
    Free Member

I know the factory gate prices for the current fox floats is less than $ 200 dollars!!!!
    Bloody rip off 🙄

psychle
    Free Member

by 'factory gate' I guess you mean the production cost?

The 'factory gate' prices for just about anything you can mention would be just as disproportional surely?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I got my menja's for £150!!!!!!

I'd probably pay more for geeky stuff, but not toys, If I wanted a plastic blow off valve and spring and washer dampers I'd buy fisher price kiddies toys, not a £500 fork! I'm seriously tempted to learn how to use a lathe and start experimenting with my own dampers.

ibis
    Free Member

Ex works

mcboo
    Free Member

Keep an eye on ebay (obviously)

I got a pair of Fox Talas 140mm QR15 for £495 from a guy in Taiwan who had dismantled a couple of bikes, came witha a 15mm front hub thrown in…..RRP was £750 I think.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Does anyone pay full price for forks?’ is closed to new replies.