Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Does anyone own a pair of Dorado DH forks are they any good?
  • pimpmyride
    Free Member

Thinking of getting the DH 180mm version for my Santa Cruz Bullit, I mainly ride a bit of freeride and all mountain but not downhill much.
    Would these forks be ok for my bike or are they no good?
    Anyone who owns them could you tell me what bike they are on and what you use them for and how good they are?

Cheers 🙂

IWH
    Free Member

Had a set on a Socom and they were great. I spent a little time playing around with the damping to get it spot on but I hear the new versions are nice and simple to set up.

I mainly used them for a bit of freeride and street riding, stiff, light, strong and worked brilliantly. I’d say do it, they’re much better value than a lot of DH forks although having said that the 2010 Boxxers are supposed to be awesome if you can hang on a little bit (but pre-order now for good prices!)

geetee1972
    Free Member

You mean the old versions right, not the one new ones that have only just been released. I only ask because the new ones cost £2500.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    pimpmyride
    Free Member

IWH cheers mate 🙂 are they strong enough for freeride then? would they be as strong as say a 888 or 66rc?

steveh

Older Dorados (they’ve been out of production for a year or two now but are coming back in 09) have a reputation in the Dh world for being very good but (and it’s a big but) needing lots of attention to keep them that way. I know people who run pretty much every other dh fork in numbers but no one who runs a dorado.

jam-bo

the only person i knew who ran dorado’s has just got rid of them and got 888’s.

pimpmyride
    Free Member

Ok so my question again, are they not suitable for freeride all mountain?

st

They are a twin crown DH fork that require plenty of tlc to keep them running sweet.

If you feel you need a DH race fork with 9″ of travel then keep them on the list.

Seem a bit overkill unless the all mountains you ride are the Alps.

pimpmyride
    Free Member

Yeah changed my mind! what do you think to the 66’s 160mm travel? would they be enough for a Bullit?

kelvin

How purdy are those new Dorados though?!

IWH
    Free Member

Sorry for the delay PMR – The Dorados are fun if you like to tinker & tune. Once They’re setup they are fantastic but I know a lot of people who got frustrated with the work required.

They’d be a very serious setof forks for ‘normal’ freeride I only had them because at the time I had access to some pretty big mountains but for UK riding they’d probably be a bit much.

Marzocchi seem to spend an awful lot of time being fixed since production moved to the far east but I’ve not had anewer set so don’t know if they’ve got it sorted for 2009/10 yet.

I’d still steer you towards the Boxxers assuming you really want DC forks or a set of Lyriks if you just want long travel.

solamanda
    Free Member

Dorados would be wasted and overkill on a bullit. They’re a great dh race fork, (assuming not the later SPV models), and don’t really require much more work than boxxers. Get some 6″ single crowns otherwise you’ll end up with a bottom bracket height that requires a step ladder.

jedi

narrow turning circle,flexier than shivers…

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

“flexier than shivers”, but about 3ft shorter :p
    a friend had shivers on his 222, you couldnt weelie the thing as the front wheel was so far in front of you the leverage held it down!

IRC you could get a TPC+ kit for the later SPV forks which had bigger stanchions? Brought out after all the SPV ones blew up.

pimpmyride
    Free Member

Been having a long hard think I ride mostly all mountain with a teeny tiny bit of freeride lol and wondered would Fox 36 vans be about the perfect fork?

pjt201
    Free Member

pimpmyride – Member

I ride mostly all mountain with a teeny tiny bit of freeride lol

just out of interest, how did you come to that conclusion? what does it mean?

GW
    Free Member

Dorados for freeride, All-mountain & street riding? – wouldn’t be on my shortlist of fork for any of that but if it works for you… 😐

Jedi – do you mean flexier fore and aft? I found my mates Dorados stiffer torsionally than my shivers. having said that, I found shivers f***ing abysmal in ruts (you get do used to it tho :lol:).

<EDIT>
    just read this (after posting)

pimpmyride – Member
    Been having a long hard think I ride mostly all mountain with a teeny tiny bit of freeride lol and wondered would Fox 36 vans be about the perfect fork?

I’d say something like a Reba or Revelation/Pike and something a bit lighter/shorter travel than a Bullit. ‘spose it depends what your definition of Allmountain & freeride are though 😉

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

The perfect fork for a bullit, old or new would be a totem or an 06 or 07 Marzocchi 66. The frames are rated to take a triple clamp but I’d go for 888s or boxxers long before I’d touch the old Dorados. They’ve been out of production for a long time and are notoriously unreliable and suffer from flex a lot more than the others.

MrNutt
    Free Member

I run 07 66’s and they would probably be more than ample, huuuuge travel, low maintenance (once set up, and fixed!)

Gooner
    Free Member

i have boxxers on mine and they are great
    suitable for FR/AM & DH

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Does anyone own a pair of Dorado DH forks are they any good?’ is closed to new replies.

New deal added to Members Discounts