Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Does anyone on here use 3M VHB tape
  • kaysee

Good morning all.

Does anyone here have any experience of 3M double sided adhesive tape? I need to stick a small plastic mount to a piece of aluminium, and this seems like a nice way to do it if it’s as sticky as they say – can it really replace spot-welding?

Would anyone have a one-inch length of the stuff I could ‘borrow’ to try before I commit to a roll of the stuff?

Ta.

TrevorB

Have you contacted 3M I’m sure they will send you a ‘sample’

kaysee

Already on it, but I’m in a hurry and would also like some real-world feedback as this stuff makes wonderful claims that could be snake-oil.

stevied
    Free Member
    neilneilorangepeel
    Free Member

It’s very good. I use it regularly to hold down parts for machining on the mill. Sticks like the proverbial!

As per the video, prep and burnishing are paramount.

kaysee

neilneilorangepeel – which tape do you use? I’ve trawled the 3M site, looks like 5952F is the stuff I need – low energy plastic-to-painted-metals. The specs looks ideal, but I need to beg an inch or so to try before I buy a few rolls…

noskills
    Free Member

I’ve got some 4952 in 19mm wide you can try, slightly higher adhesive strength than 5952 but very similar. Viking tapes are very good at helping source samples, from recollection they can source a 19mm x 3m sample foc.

kaysee

I’ll try Viking now, thanks. If no luck, could I ‘borrow’ and inch of 4952?

LS
    Free Member

I use it at work in the lab to stick glass culture flasks to shaking incubator platforms – Although very strong it also allows the flasks to be removed and stays sticky for constant re-use. It stays on the platform for about 6 months before we change it.

simon_g

I have quite a few things stuck to other things with VHB – it’s really good stuff.

There are various people on ebay doing short lengths if you want some to test in a hurry and don’t mind spending a couple of quid.

noskills
    Free Member

Yes, no problem Kaysee. Let me know if no luck with Viking and we can sort out an address and i’ll pop some in the post

neilneilorangepeel
    Free Member

Kaysee, I believe its the 4910 series stuff, 1mm thick. Hard to tell as there are no part numbers on the inside of the reel. Will confirm once I get hold of my purchasing dept. Would offer to send you a sample but it’s a pain in the ass once taken off the roll and would probably be of no use once it had turned up.

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/double-sided-foam-tapes/7638807/

kaysee

Sorted! Viking are sending a few samples out. Thanks for the help – let see if it works!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Does anyone on here use 3M VHB tape’ is closed to new replies.