Viewing 7 posts - 201 through 207 (of 207 total)
  • Does anyone not wear a poppy, and why?
  • Scamper
    Free Member

Very rarely wear a poppy, and not until the Sunday. With my wife being a nurse in the Forces, attend a military remembrance parade which is anything but gingoistic flag waving.

seosamh77
    Free Member

wrecker – Member
    Victims don’t volunteer, volunteers are complicit. No volunteers, no army, no war crimes.

Says the IRA supporter…

Any deviation from the Brit party line, really annoys you doesn’t it? 😀

seosamh77
    Free Member

TooTall – Member
    Politics don’t happen in a vacuum, the soldiers as well as the voters bear their share of responsibility.
    Possibly slightly less than the population who voted them into power. You are seeking to persecute your own vendetta against the military rather than identify the legal route taken to deploy them – which is politics.

I’ve already told you politics don’t happen in a vacuum, only with the approval of others. just following orders is a cop out, and doesn’t wash.

wrecker
    Free Member

Any deviation from the Brit party line, really annoys you doesn’t it?

Not even remotely, I’m just pointing out that you can’t harp on about “victims” and at the same time support an organisation who bombed soft civilian targets and called them “legitimate”.

littlemisspanda
    Free Member

I wear a white poppy, as a Quaker, because like most Quakers, I am anti-war, for the most part. Although I do recognise/concede that in some cases, war is unavoidable.

It seems that people think wearing a white poppy to represent the hope and wish for peace is a worse statement to make than wearing a red one. I wear the white poppy because I do want to remember those who died, but I think we should also remember the horror and sadness of war, and in some cases, the futility, and remembrance of the dead should remind us to work all the harder to achieve peace.

Idealistic? Yes, sure it is, but should we not have high aims for our society?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I wear the white poppy because I do want to remember those who died, but I think we should also remember the horror and sadness of war, and in some cases, the futility, and remembrance of the dead should remind us to work all the harder to achieve peace.

Idealistic? Yes, sure it is, but should we not have high aims for our society?

*Applauds*

Well put, Very well put indeed.

seosamh77
    Free Member

wrecker – Member
    Any deviation from the Brit party line, really annoys you doesn’t it?

Not even remotely, I’m just pointing out that you can’t harp on about “victims” and at the same time support an organisation who bombed soft civilian targets and called them “legitimate”.You confuse outright support with sympathy for the aims and an appreciation of the history..That is not outright support. You’re showing your own bias if you take that from someone singing a few songs.

Plus i’m not harping on about victims at all, just apportioning blame and responsibility, which the armed forced of this country get completely absolved of publicly, that is wrong. When it comes to the IRA i know fine well where the blame and responsibility lies. There’s is no contradiction there at all and it’s not just down to the army council that gives the orders, they couldn’t have done what they did either with out the rank and files complicity.

this isn’t rocket science, people are responsible for their own actions, even after orders are given. there is such a thing as a conscientious objector you know.

Viewing 7 posts - 201 through 207 (of 207 total)

The topic ‘Does anyone not wear a poppy, and why?’ is closed to new replies.