Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 207 total)
  • Does anyone not wear a poppy, and why?
  • SaxonRider

I’ve always gone to the local memorial for the silence on the Sunday, and think it’s important that we take our kids too. However, I didn’t sing along with the national anthem to with the praising of God that sadly got included alongside it.

Why on earth did you need to make that last comment? We’re talking about poppies and Remembrance Day, not religion. Does the fact that there is some religion still attached to some of our cultural touchstones really need remarking upon here? I mean, it’s like asking about the use of 3D in movies, and feeling the need to make a remark about religion even it has nothing to do with your main point. And who would think of doing such a thing? Oh wait… 🙄

thestabiliser
    Free Member

So they stand behind newsreaders at 11 o’clock and make sure they do some proper remembering? Or do you mean it’s compulsory for them to wear a poppy?

Anyhoo this is a stupid argument, I don’t like jingoism and I don’t like revisionists saying rememberance is a military thing. And I certainly understand you not wanting to wear a poppy in light of some of the more recent political/patriotic goings on. but ithink you should do something for rememberance, but i can’t make you.

So let’s leave it at that.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

I always donate and get a poppy, but the darn thing never wants to stay on and drops off,…I don’t have a panic attack about going out without one one, I don’t feel I need to wear it….I’ve given that is enough i feel and i observe the silences.

_tom_
    Free Member

No, and not sure why really. Just never have done. Ignorance is bliss I suppose :\

Sandwich

Just wait until all the celebrations planned for next year.

We’re suppose to celebrate the start of the slaughter? I’m holding off for celebrating it’s end.

miketually
    Free Member

Why on earth did you need to make that last comment?

Because there have been a few articles mentioning the religious involvement at the Cenotaph and it was a thought that occurred to me at the time on Sunday when there seemed to be a lot of praising of the Christian God going on, rather than remembering those of all faiths and none who have died in war.

I have no idea at all what you’re on about with the 3D in movies or the 🙄 at the end, but the whole tone of your comment seems rather out of place on this thread.

ormondroyd
    Free Member

So they stand behind newsreaders at 11 o’clock and make sure they do some proper remembering? Or do you mean it’s compulsory for them to wear a poppy?

Certainly the latter. If anyone on TV dares not to wear one, the complaints flood in.

Which is why, as I said, you get Countryfile segments obviously filmed in summer*, where everyone is wearing a pristine (and presumably handed out by the producer) poppy.

*Unless Staffordshire’s deciduous trees are still in full leaf in October/November, that is.

imnotverygood

My biggest problem is that I get the feeling that the type of people who are the most ardent for people to wear a poppy would have been the same ones handing out white feathers during WW1.

bencooper
    Free Member

My biggest problem is that I get the feeling that the type of people who are the most ardent for people to wear a poppy would have been the same ones handing out white feathers during WW1.

Spot on.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Let’s try not to turn this unpleasant, especially today. But Mike I hope that you noticed that leaders of a cross section of religions played an important role at The Cenotaph as I am sure a lot of atheits and agnostics did too. So did representative of different nations etc. Perhaps your comments might need some adjustment

Tom-B
    Free Member

I don’t wear one….not really sure why not.

chakaping
    Free Member

Perhaps your comments might need some adjustment

I think the general tone of the thread is anti-thought police, not pro.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

I am not suggesting otherwise. Merely pointing out that certain, specific observations may be slightly misplaced. Anyway enough from me, I don’t want to be guilty of moving this thread in the wrong direction. There has been enough of that in the past 24hrs.

unknown
    Free Member

What I don’t like is how it’s being extended to all veterans of all subsequent wars. The world wars were special, in terms of the numbers involved, in that most were conscripts, and in the carnage. Subsequent wars have been fought by professional soldiers and have not really been wars of survival – the soldiers in Afghanistan are not fighting to save or protect the UK.

This is why I don’t wear or donate any more. always observe the silence and use it to remember my Grandpa. Not that I’m excluding all those who gave their lives but it feels right to think of him as a representative. He survived the war by the way, and I’m just as grateful to those that did make it back.

SaxonRider

miketually – Member

…there have been a few articles mentioning the religious involvement at the Cenotaph and it was a thought that occurred to me at the time on Sunday when there seemed to be a lot of praising of the Christian God going on, rather than remembering those of all faiths and none who have died in war.

I was at the Cardiff cenotaph yesterday, and there were Christian, Jews, and Muslims there leading prayers side-by-side. Same the university service today. We can rest assured, though, that the men and women who consciously gave of themselves in the two world wars would have been overwhelmingly Christian in this country. Mass migration, as we know it now, did not really start until after WW2; hence, the association of Christian practice with Remembrance Day. It would be entirely appropriate now, though, to include others.

I have no idea at all what you’re on about with the 3D in movies or the at the end, but the whole tone of your comment seems rather out of place on this thread.

Sorry. I’m going to give up even trying to be funny. Woppit did this on his thread about 3D cinema. I assumed you might have read it. I alluded to it merely as a joke about the apparent irrelevence. Apologies for offence.

campkoala
    Free Member

I don’t wear one.
    Why? I detest war, the military, weapons, and everything to do with it and would rather not remember it each year.. There are still ongoing wars, what do you wear to commemorate/acknowledge those? Nothing! And what good would it do if you did?

campkoala
    Free Member

I hate politicians and all religions too. Those **** start wars!

RustySpanner

Edited.
    Can’t be fussed.

number18
    Free Member

I never have. Just because someone has decided that’s the way to ‘remember’, doesn’t mean I have to join in.

We had 2 minutes silence before our Sunday league football game yesterday morning, perfectly oberved by all involved.

jamj1974

I didn’t wear one this year – consciously and for the first time. I did donate and observe the silences. Personally I have deep feelings and regard for those whose lost their lives or health – whether civilian or service personnel. I am not sure that I like the direction and emphasis which seems to currently be prevalent regarding poppy wearing – some of which I have seen here too. I also am not comfortable with remembering only soldiers of the commonwealth, to my mind the remembrance of the fallen or our former enemies is also very important, and this isn’t formally part of Remembrance.

I am very firmly against commemorating the start of the First World War next year and will not be taking part. Celebrating the end of the war is a completely different matter…

yunki
    Free Member

This is an interesting article from Robert Fisk of The Independent, posted on the Stop The War Coalition website

do-those-who-flaunt-the-poppy-on-their-lapels-know-that-they-mock-the-war-dead

Big-Dave
    Free Member

Both my folks were in the forces and so whilst I do respect the sacrifices made by our armed forces (especially those that fought in the first and second world wars) I am a bit disturbed by the apparent fetishisation of the poppy that has taken place over the last few years. The BBC seems to be the worst offender with even the entire audience on A Question of Sport being issued with poppies in the episode I watched the other night.

My dad, who served with the RAF for 12 years, has never worn a poppy. He doesn’t see the point.

chakaping
    Free Member

Not sure Fisk is explaining himself clearly enough there, though I agree with his sentiments.

This article was much more interesting…
    http://www.stopwar.org.uk/news/bbc-s-jeremy-paxman-told-to-apologise-for-calling-david-cameron-a-complete-idiot-on-world-war-i#.UoEaiye7QRY

miketually
    Free Member

Three religions were present at our local service yesterday: CofE, Methodist and Salvation Army. But, this probably isn’t the time or the place for this discussion

wobbliscott
    Free Member

So you don’t like Poppy’s cause lots of people are promoting them? Let’s face it the bbc has to fill its airtime somehow and unlike other commercial stations it is serving a public service and not pandering to the popular masses – god knows we see enough footballers, one D and lady gaga on more than enough of the other channels, so just switch channels if you don’t like what the bbc are broadcasting. For me it’s all about taking a few minutes a year out of my busy and pretty selfish life to reflect and remember and thank those who have made the ultimate sacrifice so I can enjoy my freedoms and bring my kids up in a world in relative peace and security – more peaceful and secure than it ever has been in human history for sure. And that peace and security has come at a very high price. So for me it’s not about endorsing wars I may not agree with or politicians I may not agree with. I guess its different things to different people. At least we get a choice which is sort of the point. It’s also a good charitable cause to support those soldiers returning from conflict who bear the physical and mental scars of the horrors they’ve been through.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

@Miketually – we do the same, always attended the village remembrance parade and service at the memorial. As an atheist I don’t participate in the religious observances or the national anthem. I always buy a poppy as my 2 grandfathers fought in WWI and my father in WWII, they lost lots of friends and I just feel it’s appropriate to remember everyone who died both those in the armed forces and civilians on both sides.

This was an interesting move by Dan Snow: http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/news/article1332656.ece

rene59
    Free Member

more peaceful and secure than it ever has been in human history for sure

Seriously, c’mon?

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I noticed on Strictly that Len and someone else were wearing normal poppies and not the glitz-ed up fashion poppies that the BBC were obviously putting on them.

steveoath
    Free Member

I don’t need a flower on my shirt to remember. It’s sad how many people are demonized for not wearing one.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Absolutely Rene. When has it ever been more peaceful? You can visit more countries of the world as a tourist now with relative (common sense rules apply) safety and security than ever before. Since the end of the Cold War the nuclear threat is looking less urgent, though not completely irradicatef, When has it been more safe? You can even visit war torn countries now as a tourist, I have Syrian colleagues who have returned home to visit their families for holiday, so the conflicts that do exist are not necessarily as widespread as the bbc and wider media would have us believe, though I’ll stick with Majorca or the South of France for my hols next year all the same.

footflaps

I don’t. For numerous reasons, but really because I don’t like being told when, where, how and for whom I should mourn.

+1

ahwiles
    Free Member

ormondroyd – Member

Me. I have major reservations about the way the campaign has shifted over the last five years.

Last week the Poppy Appeal’s official twitter feed included pictures of smiling young children in “Future Soldier” t-shirts.

what he said.

i was brought up to think that the day of rememberance was to remind us of the horror of war, the cost to all sides – even our ‘enemies’.

but it’s just gone weird, and quite scary.

(i still put a couple of quid in the pot, as i hope it’ll help someone)

grum
    Free Member

Posted this in another thread but:

https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=625136347524388&id=209224299115597&set=a.211785712192789.51018.209224299115597&source=48&ref=m_notif&notif_t=share_reply&__user=603351473

Some of the comments are sickening and just show the mindset of ‘poppy fascism’.

It all just seems quite jingoistic and goodwill towards the services is used cynically to garner support for strategic/economic military action.

I find people trying to paint WWI and WWII in the same light fairly sickening as well.

i was brought up to think that the day of rememberance was to remind us of the horror of war, the cost to all sides – even our ‘enemies’.

+1

oldboy
    Free Member

I don’t need a flower on my shirt to remember. It’s sad how many people are demonized for not wearing one.

+1

footflaps

At work today, the only person I saw wearing a poppy was the receptionist in our building. No one in our company was (that I noticed), nor at the gym at lunchtime, nor at the Vets this evening.

chipsngravy
    Free Member

Every year I buy a poppy and observe the 2 mins silence. But I don’t wear the poppy. Personally I don’t feel the need to advertise the fact that I’ve shown my support and remembered those that have lost their lives.

IanMunro
    Free Member

So you don’t like Poppy’s cause lots of people are promoting them? Let’s face it the bbc has to fill its airtime somehow and unlike other commercial stations it is serving a public service and not pandering to the popular masses – god knows we see enough footballers, one D and lady gaga on more than enough of the other channels, so just switch channels if you don’t like what the bbc are broadcasting.

I may have missed some posts, but I don’t think people are complaining about the BBC’s actual coverage of Remembrance, but the forced wearing of the poppy for fear of negative comment.

I used to wear one, but not any more. My thought’s are more with all the innocent(armed or un-armed) killed in all the wars, and I observe the silence out of respect to them.

rene59
    Free Member

Wobbliscott – human history spans many many years and as peaceful as it may be now compared to recent and modern history, I’ve got to think there was once a more peaceful time long before nuclear weapons and war torn countries even existed.

Then again I’ve a very poor grasp of history so I should probably have kept quiet.

ahwiles
    Free Member

it seems to be true though…

TED linky

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 207 total)

The topic ‘Does anyone not wear a poppy, and why?’ is closed to new replies.