Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 159 total)
  • Does anyone not get the alps thing?
  • toys19
    Free Member

I've been to Morzine 5 times, 6th time coming up in a month. I agree with all you prefer Scotland types though, it would be better if you stayed there and didn't come to the Alps, it will be crap and you won't like it.

DezB
    Free Member

Yeah, cos there's not enough space for anyone else 😕

chakaping
    Free Member

If I wanted my holiday to consist of hard labour, I'd get a summer job down't pit or something.

A proper northern or Scottish pit I hope, not one of these fancy European ones with coal uplift.

toys19
    Free Member

DezB – Member

Yeah, cos there's not enough space for anyone else

No no, they would be welcome, but seeing as they don't get it and prefer Scotland surely it makes sense for them not to come?

HeatherBash
    Free Member

Been to the Alps and North America dozens of times so I'm certainly not knocking them. It's rather obvious that Scotland doesnt compare on scale but I just dont get the assertion that bigger = better. Depends on what you are looking for from your holiday – the major downside most people in this country seem to cite is the weather. Talk to folk coming the other way though and they often see that as a plus – the unpredictability, changing light conditions, wild and rugged nature of the terrain etc

As for Morzine it's now to mtb what Sauze d'Oulx is to skiing – completely overrun with Brits…

ton

😆 😆

thomthumb
    Free Member

you people do realise you can ride up an alp?

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

In truth, I look at all the alpine posts with a degree of envy because I'm unlikely to ever get a pass-out to experience riding such long descents.

But I do wonder if UK "biking resorts", with lift-assisted riding (and I don't mean just DH riding) is the next step for us over here.

toys19
    Free Member

But I do wonder if UK "biking resorts", with lift-assisted riding (and I don't mean just DH riding) is the next step for us over here.

I've often thought about this. And they would get used all year round.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I'm not really for or against the Alps for riding. I've not been there, and would love to go, but I'd be looking for back-country stuff, not the Mctrails centres – that stuff doesn't really float my boat, irrespective of it being in this country or any other.

I see/hear of a fair amount of duff weather on these trips and I'd rather the Sierra's to get around that I think.

GW
    Free Member

thomthumb – Member

speak for yourself

dasnut
    Free Member

some great riding (nearly 2000m of descent) on 3 or 4 trails near Montreux (about an hour from Chatel), not lift assisted, but train assisted. And thats not even the alps.
    Reminded me a lot of La Varda in Les arcs.

If you go to the area on holiday, get a decent guide who knows the off piste stuff, otherwise, you'll just be doing pleney run after run, like the majority of UK bikers in the area.

MadPierre

I **** love the Alps! And I love Whistler Bike Park, UK uplift days and all forms of not having to pedal up. However I also love Scotland, Wales, Spain, man made and natural trails… even a pootle down a canal towpath to the pub!!

I'm lucky I can and do ride a bit of everything. I've visited all the above and more. Those of you that haven't tried any of them should. If you like or dislike any particular type of riding more than any other then do what the hell YOU enjoy. Don't go all narrow minded and slag off others just cuz they are different to you.

hora
    Free Member

thomthumb – Member

I can think of nothing more duller than that.

So you have ten days with hundreds of miles of singletrack out there. Yet you spend most of the day climbing.

Its really not making the most of the time or opportunities is it?

If you must birch yourself that much I'd just cut out the singletrack completely and take a road bike.

thomthumb
    Free Member

I can think of nothing more duller than that.

i'm not arguing for it.

I just find it bizarre that the argument against the alps seems to be an argument against lifts?

chakaping
    Free Member

Don't go all narrow minded and slag off others just cuz they are different to you.

Well said, but I doubt anyone's listening. There's some awful sneery attitudes on here.

The Alps may be the highest and largest mountains in Europe, but there's a few chairlifts and cablecars so they must be for lightweights, eh?

hora
    Free Member

I ride because I like riding- the feeling of freedom, the glide, the movement, the feeling of almost soaring…

Not grinding away in granny-gear thinking 'I'm going to beat this hill'.

Then your in roadie-territory.

I like the top of the hill to get down the otherside. The climb is to be endured not relished.

BigDummy
    Free Member

I quite like big mountains, good weather and plenty of space to muck about. I like long climbs, and I like long descents.

The alps are considerably superior to Surrey in these respects. But then so are many other less frequented mountain ranges. 🙂

the_lecht_rocks

i love scotland and have chosen to remain here, but the alps offers vast route selection and variation….
    in addition, summer can almost be relied upon, so dust isn't so scarce……and living in scotland dictates i yearn for dust……

hora
    Free Member

What next?

"I prefer the Peaks as it has less angry northerners per square foot'?

😀

woody74

From what I worked out from going to Chamonix and Les Gets is that if you just go on your own and follow the marked trails then they are all reasonably rubbish and blown away by the trail centres in the UK. I really think you need to go with a guide that can show you all the great tracks. You can see them often from the cable cars but just don't know how to get to them.

nickf
    Free Member

Clearly riding up all the Alpine trails on an uber-niche fixed/rigid 96er is the choice of all real STWers. After making the highly enjoyable climb, taking the cablecar down might be the right idea, as descending sounds like it might be a bit too much fun, and anyway, the increased windflow flaps your beard around a bit too much.

And that's only if you're forced to ride in the Alps. Obviously, real riders shun any such frippery, choosing instead to ride in the Peaks on a wet weekend in November.

hora
    Free Member

choosing instead to ride in the Peaks on a wet weekend in November.

Oh gawd. That will be all of us soon enough.

ooOOoo
    Free Member

Must be the same people that shun chair lifts when skiing…you see so many of them

GW
    Free Member

how useless do you have to be not to find a track you've just passed on a chairlift?

mogrim

So you have ten days with hundreds of miles of singletrack out there. Yet you spend most of the day climbing

You can climb on singletrack, too. And then descend on it. Best of both worlds.

Unless you're a bit of a fattie, then I can see why you might not want to climb.

hora
    Free Member

You can climb on singletrack, too. And then descend on it. Best of both worlds.

Unless you're a bit of a fattie, then I can see why you might not want to climb.

Yet again a niche within a sport feels that others that don't conform to their idea of the sport must be lazy/out of shape and not that committed?

You know, it could be that some mountain bikers live for almost 100% sweet singletrack or descents? Nooooo??? Get awaaaaay!!

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

"The Alps may be the highest and largest mountains in Europe"

Err… Caucasus are a larger and generally higher range it think. Very undeveloped and possibly a bit politically unstable to boot.

BigDummy
    Free Member

it could be that some mountain bikers live for almost 100% sweet singletrack

So. Are you or are you not a fattie? 😉

nickf
    Free Member

"The Alps may be the highest and largest mountains in Europe"

Err… Caucasus are a larger and generally higher range it think. Very undeveloped and possibly a bit politically unstable to boot.

They sound way more niche to ride up. And I bet they don't have ski-lifts to allow the unwashed masses onto the trails.

Sounds perfect.

mogrim

Yet again a niche within a sport feels that others that don't conform to their idea of the sport must be lazy/out of shape and not that committed?

You know, it could be that some mountain bikers live for almost 100% sweet singletrack or descents? Nooooo??? Get awaaaaay!!

Don't get your knickers in a twist, dearie, the use of the word "fattie" was meant to indicate it wasn't a comment to be taken too seriously.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

i think the alps with it's lazy type cycling is fine, but just not for me.
    i like to earn my rewards.

I like being rewarded without effort. Seriously, I like the challenge of a climb, but I prefer looning downhill. If I can do that all day and then chat to mates on the lift on the way back up, great. Skiers realised this long ago 😀

bluebird
    Free Member

i think the alps with it's lazy type cycling is fine, but just not for me.
    i like to earn my rewards.

Yeah, exactly. Sam Hill, Gee Atherton, Greg Minnar, Steve Peat, etc. What a bunch a lay about, wasters they are.

BigDummy
    Free Member

This is a masterful piece of trolling by the way. 🙂

hora
    Free Member

I think ton half-means it though.

GEDA
    Free Member

Totally agree with what you say. Posted the same about the bike specific trails being a wee bit samey http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/what-do-you-think-alps-bike-specific-man-made-trails-verses-the-original-ones

But the other trails were cool. Exciting getting chased by a Alpine mountain polar bear sheep dog down the steepest switchbacks I have ever been on. I think the general policy should be if you are prepared to do the öleg work and search for good trails you will find them but I don't think they should be published or they would just get trashed.

hora
    Free Member

GEDA…..STOP IT!

nickegg
    Free Member

I think a few have missed the real reason we prefer uplifts in the Alps…..the bloody altitude!

It doesnt matter how fit you think you are. Cycling up at 2000m is rather different to cycling up at 500m! Plus in some cases you would spend the entire morning climbing, do one descent, spend most of the afternoon climbing, do one descent. Good luck cycling up to the Col D'iseran (2770m) from Val D'isere!!! I'll stick to the van i think.

teagirl
    Free Member

I think I must have been in the wrong place as we went to Samoens couple of years ago. The road riding was good but as for MTB'ing, I found myself thinking for all this uphill I want a very long downhill but wasn't rewarded in the slightest, far too short. Won't be rushing back.

ton

😉

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 159 total)

The topic ‘Does anyone not get the alps thing?’ is closed to new replies.