Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Does anyone living in/around London have a camper/van conversion?
  • AnyExcuseToRide
    Free Member

I’m making plans to make my own camper this summer, i’ve been doing a load of research into materials, what to fit in, which van, how much etc and looked through many photos and also some threads on here to get an idea of how to do it and what to put in.

Thing is I think seeing something first hand is always going to be much better than looking at photos and you’ll understand a lot more about the space and how to use it. I’ve noticed quite a few threads on here about people making their own vans and showing their van off to each other so I was thinking one or even some of you might be happy to show off their van to me in person? Would anyone be willing to show off their van and teach me a few things about doing some conversion project?

As well as being interested in seeing some vans in the flesh I have a question right at step 1 of 13484933 which is how to start? I know quite a bit about woodwork etc but don’t understand how you connect the wood/battens to the metal of the van. Maybe that is a question for another thread…?

Anyway, I am living in London at the moment, in Wimbledon and would be keen to meet up one weekend if anyone is up for it, we could even incorporate a little ride into it if anyone is up for it? I unfortunately only have my road bike here at the moment but that means I would easily be happy to do a 100mile round trip or so to see some sweet vans!

So yeah if anyone is keen give me a shout pls!

Ewan
    Free Member

Try here: http://forum-sbmcc.co.uk/index.php?act=idx

(Maybe change your log in name tho before joining that forum, they’re a bit stuck in their ways!)

beanie
    Free Member

Your more than welcome to come and have a look at mine. I have done a couple of self builds now. I am in welwyn garden city just north of london. I joined the T4 forum when i did my 2 vans, lots of info on there or just ask.
    photo of mine

https://www.instagram.com/p/BQaLvyAgp9r/

Rockape63
    Free Member

(Maybe change your log in name tho before joining that forum

Lol! 🙂

Mike_D
    Free Member

I’m probably a bit distant, but FWIW most of the bits of wood in our van are either stuck in with Sikaflex. Some of them have a few self-tappers into hollow ribs in the van sides, although some of those were just to hold them while the Sikaflex sets. A few (the framing for the rear bulkhead, for example) are bolted into rivnuts. And also stuck in with Sikaflex 🙂

Essentially, in 95% of cases the answer to “how do I stick X to Y?” is Sikaflex 😉

jonr8
    Free Member

Two thirds through my Citroen Relay build. You are welcome to pop down to Portsmouth and take a look.

Essentially, in 95% of cases the answer to “how do I stick X to Y?” is Sikaflex

Agree with this one, even my solar panels are stuck with it!

Pictures here.

Mike_D
    Free Member

I have to admit I doubled up on the panels – they’re bolted down as well. I think the weak link is how well the paint is stuck to the van rather than the Sikaflex 😉

jonr8
    Free Member

They are still there after 4 months of motorway driving so I’m hopeful 🙂

AnyExcuseToRide
    Free Member

Hey guys, thanks for the replies! Really appreciate the offers- Beanie, i’ll send you an email via the address in your profile. Jon, how do I get in contact with you, would love to come and see what you have done, the photos look great!

Mike – thanks for the Sikaflex info, I have actually read almost every post and comment on your big thread about converting your van, fantastic job, looks amazing! Might have to come to you for some more question and info at some point although my project will be a little smaller (thinking Transt SWB/MWB with high top) and a little less sophisticated for my first go.

spooky_b329

Sikaflex/Stixall/Carabond are all good adhesives, they actually glue all the antidrumming panels and seams together with that stuff when the vans are built.

Sika is the dogs danglies and there are various variants, don’t get the cheaper stuff in screwfix.

I’ve used Stixall in this van, virtually no screws so far, its all glued and I’m sure its far stronger, plus less likely to get creaks.

Order of build for my second conversion:

Mock up interior, draw all over the floor etc. Record all measurements, strip out van.

Rooflights, Windows, all roof fixings (solar panels etc)

Batten ceiling and run wiring for lights, insulation, ply and finish (varnish/carpet etc) Hook up the lights to a temporary 12v source (I used a jump pack) as then you can work in the evenings.

All through floor fixings (rear seats, fresh and waste tanks, gas tank, holes for water and gas pipes. At this point you will need to pull out the bulkhead which has so far kept the cab clean.

Floor battens, insulation and ply (I went for a floating floor over closed cell foam this time which has resulted in a much quieter van than battens, ply and celotex) I will then finish off with Vinyl plank flooring on top.

Then side wall insulation and ply.

Then you get into the fun stuff…building the internal structure etc. I am trying to avoid any single floor to ceiling panels in this conversion as I reckon they restrict the body from flexing, causing more creaking and stress on the floor etc.

Sketchup is good to plan your van, if you take the time to accurately measure the van with all the walls that lean in, it really makes it easier as you can see it won’t fit before starting to mock up cardboard templates…its surprising how it looks roomy on a plan but gets very cramped in reality.

trail_rat
    Free Member

do you understand electrics.

Get this nailed before you touch insulation and woodwork- work out where you want stuff – where you want to route things and such like.

I bought someone elses campervan supposedly profesionally converted….

the woodwork certainly is a professional standard and much much better than i could do – as is the upholstry.

The wiring leaves little to be desired. Much of it wrong/not working , some of it unsafe and some just a liability waiting to set the van on fire…..

In the end i systematically tested every circuit to ensure it was safe , fused , doing what it should be doing and not wired into the wrong thing. I think the lad stopped just short of making the major cock up of wiring the 240v into the 12v but everything else seemed to fly.

AnyExcuseToRide
    Free Member

Jon or Beanie if you happen to spot ths thread again, what is the possibility of coming by to see one of you this weekend?

I did send you an email Beanie but I guess the one in your profile is not the right one any more?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Does anyone living in/around London have a camper/van conversion?’ is closed to new replies.