• This topic has 46 replies, 25 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by mboy.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • does anyone live on THE FENS
  • hosepipe
    Free Member

…is it true that your lawnmower is guaranteed to be nicked out of the shed by gypsies?

wombat

No but I liver near there for a lot of years and was told that a Fenland virgin was a girl who could run faster than her brother 🙂

runswithscissors

i'm not far from the fens and can confirm both the above are true!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    rkk01
    Free Member

does anyone live on in THE FENS

give sea level rise a few more years to do its thing

MoreCashThanDash

I remember catching a bus from Peterborough that went out along the A47 – when it got to Thorney an old lady got on with a chicken – and this was circa 1990 in the UK, not the middle of Africa….

Jamie
    Free Member

I live near the fens and can confirm the deeper in you get the worse it is.

On the plus side its so flat you can see the thieves coming literally a mile off.

muppet4
    Free Member

Yep def and your bikes! You should see the chrome accessories on the 4x4s too!

richmars

Yes, I live in the Fens, or rather, the highest village in the Fens, a dizzy 30 metres above sea level. But last time I checked my lawnmower was still in the shed.

JulianA
    Free Member

Sea level rise will make no difference as the locals have webbed feet.

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

I lived there for twelve years and my parents still do . . they've had virtually everything you can imagine nicked from their shed or garage. . .even a dozen tins of dog food . .

tails
    Free Member

I live pretty close by in St.Ives, I'm not sure there are that many thieves especially compared to a large town or city but you have all heard of tony martin, when the gypsies want something they take it and are well organised, that tony martin had just had enough and shot one.

I'll give most people a chance but my interactions with gypsies have always been negative, my mate on the other hand thinks there alright.

grahamt1980

Yep live in the fens, well right on the edge of it. Richmars you live anywhere near ramsey? 30m sounds suspiciously like my village, Begins with a W

Kuco

They eat their own babies out that way.

richmars

Grahamt,
    No, I'm in Haddenham, maybe there's competition for the highest village award.

alpin
    Free Member

long before everyone had mobile phones my mate's brother got a driving job in essex. he got a job to take a parcel from mid-essex and told to take it to St. Ives. it should have taken him ~2 hours. he phoned the company some 6-7 hours later saying no-one there had heard of the address.

turned out he was in cornwall.

that was his nickname for years afterwards.

odannyboy
    Free Member

"No, I'm in Haddenham"

think you will find thats pronounced "aaaaaaddenam….boy!"

im not far from the fens. Its not the end of the world…but you can see it from there! 😆

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

I bet none of you know Lots Bridge ?

That's where my parents are …truely ia back o' beyond..

stumpy01

Lots Bridge – near Guyhirn?

I go through Guyhirn on my way to Thetford if I'm driving there from home. It does seem quite erm, special.

david_r
    Free Member

I live just around the corner from richmars

I'm on my eleventh lawnmower 😉

Very odd area. They sell six fingered gloves in the shops and point at cars when you drive by.

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

hmm… Lots bridge, Three Holes (about 8 miles from the metropolis of March!) – a little way from Guyhirn I guess..

Lord knows how I ended up being a Mountain Biker being bought up in the flatest part of the country?!

I can remember frantically pedalling my first proper bike (muddy fox) down farm tracks in the hope of getting a small amount of air or just some sort of thrill at all ….

kennyp
    Free Member

I drove through Wisbech once. Creepiest place I've ever been. Not a soul about, but I sensed we were being watched closely. Wouldn't have been surprised to hear banjos playing.

footflaps

They use the locals for target practice by the US Air Bases, apparently you can still get hunting permits for them. Tony Martin would have been fine had it been in-season and he wasn't too tight to buy a permit 😉

Smee
    Free Member

Small chins and short necks….

richmars

Yes, you're right, it's aaaaaaddenam, but the 'boy' is optional unless your company car is a tractor.
    Best place round here is called Way Head. Just a few farms but a very strange place.
    Grunty Fen is also a bit odd, dead straight roads with 90 deg corners that suddenly appear. Also has it's own travellers camp so not a good place to break down.

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

wisbech. . . smells of chips and germaline

grahamt1980

The game with straight roads then a 90° corner isn't limited to grunty fen, its all over the place. I live ramsey/chatteris way and some of the old ones are a bit odd, gets really scary out towards doddington and genwick way.
    Like someone else said why the hell did I end up a mountain biker / climber / mountaineer living in the flattest part of the country.

Be careful of wisbeck its pikey country

silverpigeon
    Free Member

I used to live in Peterborough and once went out with a girl from Shepeau Stow.

She thought I was sophisticated because I sometimes we would go out for dinner on a week night.

Good shag though

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

I also live in St Ives, but its not really the Fens

Chatteris and thereabouts is the real deal and some very odd people there.
    Manea is another strange backwater although the pub there seemed ok

Lady I work with comes from Haddenham and she mentioned something about the top step of the local pub there as having some significance with regards to highest point or something similar

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

blimey. . . Manea eh? That really is the end of the world!

richmars

We had chips in Manea once on one of our Thursday night pub runs. I think they used tractor oil to fry them. Worst chips over.

Speaking of Chatteris, who's heard a great song by Half Man Half Biscuit, 'For what is Chatteris…'?
    Has the great line:
    'what's Chatteris if you're not there?
    I may as well be in Ely or Saint Ives.'

runswithscissors

off to see a customer in Welches Dam tomorrow,don't think i'll bother putting the bike in the motor!

grahamt1980

Can't make comments about chatteris when my mum is around. She is from there.
    I get lots of abuse when i take the piss.
    I did once make comments about webbed feet to a mate of mine from whittlesey, unfortunately it turned out he did have webbed feet, still talks to me so clearly the genetics doesn't affect the sense of humour

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

ooh welches dam!! There's a nice bird reserve there – you can look across welney wash and see ely cathedral. . .

You can also get pissed on fosters in one of the bird hides and have a quick fumble and a snog in the dark, when you're 17. .

. . So I hear . . Ahem

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

Right sorted out the addenham thing now and apparently the top step of the Three Kings is higher than the top of Ely Cathedral

So there you have it, bit of local knowledge

richmars

Yes but the Three Kings is a s**t pub unless you're eating. Better off free wheeling down to the Cherry Tree. (what we do on a Thursday night: 5/6 pubs in the local area, back to the Cherry Tree just as the pools/darts match is finishing and help tidy up the food.)

hosepipe
    Free Member

blo0dy hell, maybe moving to the fens wasn't such a good idea. i thought the fens might be one of those kind of places where you could buy a plot of land, and build a house on it without planning permission and nobody would bother you, or even know you were there! but maybe it'll have to be the highlands instead, the last bit of wilderness in the uk. or northumberland!

odannyboy
    Free Member

ref lots bridge, i once stopped at a weird shop in the absolute middle of nowhere.i think it was beside a railway crossing perhaps?? sells antiques/ junk/ brick a brac. i asked for direstions and all the woman really wanted to know was why i was going there? felt inclined to say look love ,im asking the questions, but could get a word in! anyone know it? that may well have been lots bridge..?

hosepipe
    Free Member

when i type lots bridge into multimap it says 'No results found' ….

there's a great looking cycle route through a 'danger area' at gedney drove end!

PracticalMatt
    Free Member

My parents moved from South London to Wisbech when I was thirteen.

Teenage boy in London to a town where having only two nipples made you a freak.

….just imagine

😥

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

that may well have been lots bridge..

ah well you see.. Lots Bridge aint on any maps.

The locals know it's there though. It does make it tricky for delivery drivers however….

If you search for Three Holes and go south a bit and lool for the cross road of silt road and half penny toll road – that's Lots bridge.

There's about six houses….

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘does anyone live on THE FENS’ is closed to new replies.