Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Does anyone live in Perth?
  • PiknMix
    Free Member

If so, what’s it like?

My wife was born in Aberfeldy and she longs to move back.
    I can transfer my job role to Perth so it could happen. (We can’t afford to live in Aberfeldy or we would)

Is there good riding/running locally?

redmex
    Free Member

Whats not to like about Perth ? Can’t think of much as its the gateway to the highlands, Dunkeld 15 mins up the A9 pretty good on a mountainbike, another 10 mins Pitlochry do the etape any day the sun is shining and free, Pitmedden forest in Fife not far away au naturale, Edinburgh Stirling dual carraigeway all the way, Laggan an hour up the A9 and cracking hills all around if you like scenic walks not forgetting Comrie croft 40 mins West

redmex
    Free Member

Its a nice place train station too and a big 5* hotel as you come in from the South near to the Tay invited guests only

ChubbyBlokeInLycra
    Free Member

Nope, but born there and lived just outside until a couple of years ago. Redmex covers it, apart from a lack of decent pubs. No shortage of restaurants and outdoors stuff though.
    Fancy cycling to here? Kinnoull Hill – minutes from the town centre

boriselbrus
    Free Member

I live about 20 mins north and work in the city. I’m not moving away any time soon. Fabulous biking, 40 minutes to Glenshee for skiing, easy access to big mountains and loads of culture and history.

If you need more urban life then Edinburgh is only an hour away.

I moved here from Kent 3 years ago and I’ve never been happier.

onlysteel
    Free Member

As above. Would be a no brainer for us here in Oxfordshire, if only the opportunity arose……

gfrew88
    Free Member

Probably the best location to live in scotland. Tons of riding/walking/running

scotroutes

Well, I guess if you absolutely had to live in a big city, Perth would be the best option

geoffj

Currently live 9 miles north, but moving nearer the centre in the summer.
    Lived here 14 years after 5 years in Edinburgh and am very happy.
    From a riding perspective I’m swapping the edge of Dunkeld for Kinnoull Hill.
    I work across Scotland as a contractor and it’s a decent location from that perspective – train service to Edinburgh could be better though.
    No plans to leave any time soon.

^ soon to be my back garden 😀

Probably the best location to live in scotland. Tons of riding/walking/running

It’s certainly up there with Dumfries & Galloway, and Aviemore (where we spend summer weekends anyway) 8)

geoffj

(We can’t afford to live in Aberfeldy or we would)

I’d say that was a lucky escape. Aberfeldy is always 5 degrees cooler than anywhere else and a ball ache to get to. The book shop / cafe is alright though.

gfrew88
    Free Member

Aviemore…. You must be joking? Nearly as horrible as Fort William

robbie
    Free Member

I live and work in Perth.the tower of kinnoul hill in the pic is the view from my office.
    It’s great place for getting into the hills biking etc it’s certainly not a big city! The city centre is poor. Great for cafes and charity shops but not much else but then i suppose that’s the way most cities are going.

PiknMix
    Free Member

The book shop / cafe is alright though.

The watermill? Yes that place was brilliant.
    Thanks all for your replies, on paper it’s a no brainer, in reality it’s not as easy.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Looks beautiful!

piemonster

Looks beautiful!

Matter of personal preferences, I reckon that looks shit.

pyranha

As above, you need to re-calibrate terms like ‘big city’. When we first moved here, the guys in the scout group we joined reckoned that Blairgowrie was a big town (circa 6000) – it is the biggest town in Perthshire, however. And Perth has a population under 50,000.

Perth has just gained another bike shop, having lost Perth City Cycles last year due to retirement – Bike Craft has opened in the basement of Craigdon.

We live in Blair, so 17 miles north, and I intend to move nearer Perth once our son has finished school, in a year or so.

matt_outandabout

We can’t afford to live in Aberfeldy or we would)

I can sell you a three bed flat for £125k, about to have new bathroom, redecorate and external doors replaced….

PiknMix
    Free Member

Interesting! Any pics?

matt_outandabout

Exif_JPEG_PICTURE

No garden.

Currently had an issue with a minor leak in winter upstairs, that is about to be sorted when bathroom is re-done, as two ceilings are worse for wear.

Drop me an email – matt_outandabout AT hotmail.com

aphex_2k
    Free Member

piemonster – Member
    Looks beautiful!

Matter of personal preferences, I reckon that looks shit.

Better?

piemonster

Better?

Yes 😀

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Looks beautiful!

Maybe to you, but I prefer

matt_outandabout

Anyone would say is a Fair City.

davieg
    Free Member

I was born in Perth and grew up riding my bmx and then Muddy Fox Courier around Kinnoull Hill and Barn Hill. My parents still live there, and whilst I may not have appreciated it or thought so in my youth, it is a wonderful place to live and work.

If you like cycling or pretty much any outdoor sport and golf, it is a great place to be. As mentioned above, it is relatively close to everywhere else, so Edinburgh and Glasgow are just about commutable and you can be on a beach or proper mountains within an hour.

Quick question and a long shot, but does anyone on here go night riding up Kinnoull Hill via Gannochy, Milk Boys walk and Coronation walk to access Deuchney Woods?

Last week my dad, someone who loves seeing people riding bikes, horses and go running up there, and offers the Muckmedden marshalls cups of tea, politely asked a group who had youngsters with them, to stop pulling skids in the lawns surrounding their home and car park before setting off on their ride. The group agreed and stopped, yet someone thought that their responsible land access rights were being infringed upon and challenged my dad about who owned the land. Whatever argument they might have had, was instantly rendered meaningless, when they made a retort once he turned his back. 🙄

So if that was you or you know them, please don’t be dick (or ask them not to be). My dad has thick skin, but there are plenty of people who would happily restrict access with any little excuse. 😉

iainc

^^^^ kids doing skids on other folks lawns ? poor behaviour, but what has it got to do with access rights ? These don’t cover people’s immediate gardens ?

confused…

beinbhan

I think davieg is implying that some people think the access rights let you go anywhere which isn’t true.

matt_outandabout

That area is residential – it has various paths and tracks and small roads leading up the hill.

I’m reading it that a Muckmeddan marshall had kids with them that were skidding on grass around the residential houses?

beinbhan

I think he means that his dad gives the marshalls a cuppa when muckmeddens on 😀

davieg
    Free Member

Matt – No, beinbhan – correct.

Totally off topic, but happened the other week so I thought I would mention it. Kids were just being kids, and stopped when politely asked yet one adult thought otherwise. The gardens aren’t enclosed, but it is common and maintained grounds within a housing estate.

Iainc, I don’t think the person was probably even thinking about access rights either, they were just being an arse. But, being an arse to someone totally supportive of mtber’s and folk enjoying the outdoors.

So another great thing about Perth, miles of trails and farm tracks for skids, just not on the lawns surrounding my dad and neighbours house! 🙂

matt_outandabout

😀

cheekyboy
    Free Member

Perth is a few miles from Dundee, Dundee is the home of Project Pie……………………………mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm 🙂

onlysteel
    Free Member

Surely you mean ‘peh’……

stevious

Work in Perth, live half way to Dundee.

As well as the city itself being a compact wee charmer, there are loads of villages on the outskirts of Perth that feel both remote and convenient at the same time. Housing can be more expensive than some parts of the central belt but it’s cheaper than England oe Edinburgh for sure.

There’s some superb LBSs here too. JM Richards in town and Synergy in Auchterarder spring to mind.

minifreerider
    Free Member

I live in Dunkeld, grew up in Perth.

I can’t think of anywhere better to live for riding. You’re in the middle of some many good areas for it. Dunkeld alone could keep you amused for years.

Considered Dunkeld, Murthly or Spittalfield? They’re all reasonably cheap for housing, and it’s a few minutes on the A9 to get into Perth.

dunkeldlocal
    Free Member

lots of great biking around Perth, not too far for big hill epics either if that takes you fancy, Dunkeld would be a good middle ground between Aberfeldy and Perth. Much nicer than them both and some amazing trails.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Does anyone live in Perth?’ is closed to new replies.